Author Topic: eleanor teresa ducie  (Read 3614 times)

Offline roly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: eleanor teresa ducie
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 23 October 19 08:09 BST (UK) »
Things have moved on considerably since my last sally in 2018.  I now have a pretty complete picture of my late mother through various certificates; and am in regular contact with my half-sister, Brid (Brigitte in France, where we both live).

Brid and I have compared notes, memories and intuitions and we found that somehow we both had the notion that the Ducies got to Ireland through the expulsion of the Huguenots from France.  I'm quite prepared to be disillusioned in this respect.

More specifically, it turns out that my mother spent some time in Kerry and that there were (are?) several Ducie families in the Kingdom.

Then, too, remotely, it appears that Ducies (hardly the humbler folk) moved from France to England along with William the Conqueror and that he settled lands on them in Staffordshire.

Not quite so remotely, a surprise in my own research has been that amongst papers involving my mother's family - British army records, information that James emigrated to the States and so on - there is the odd letter written between the Carlow Ducies and Ducies in Staffordshire.  These, in truth, do not amount to much.  But can someone enlighten me as to where the Irish Ducies came from - I'd expect there to be complex histories?  Perhaps a more definite link can be established beween Carlow and Staffordshire and, likewise, with Ducies in Kerry.

Onwards and, perhaps, sideways.

roly

I am no longer able to respond to my threads on RootsChat, Ihave enjoyed my time here and my research. My notification have been turned off.

Offline roly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 18 December 19 10:54 GMT (UK) »
I wrote recently but without success in my quest to assemble a Ducie family history.  It seems that there are several families Ducie in Co. Kerry and  I would like information about their locations.  It'd be up to me to see if there's any connection between any of them and my Ducie family who lived in Carlow.  I do have some records - the 1901 and 1911 UK censuses that give a time-span for my Ducie family - grandparents and great-grandparents.

A second request is more specific.  My mother, Eleanor Teresa, worked as a hospital nurse in Frienaragh, Duagh, Co. Kerry (c. 1938-1939).  It'd be handy to know something about the institution.  I know that my mother moved to London in 1939.

roly
I am no longer able to respond to my threads on RootsChat, Ihave enjoyed my time here and my research. My notification have been turned off.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 18 December 19 11:24 GMT (UK) »
I wrote recently but without success in my quest to assemble a Ducie family history.  It seems that there are several families Ducie in Co. Kerry and  I would like information about their locations.  It'd be up to me to see if there's any connection between any of them and my Ducie family who lived in Carlow.  I do have some records - the 1901 and 1911 UK censuses that give a time-span for my Ducie family - grandparents and great-grandparents.

A second request is more specific.  My mother, Eleanor Teresa, worked as a hospital nurse in Frienaragh, Duagh, Co. Kerry (c. 1938-1939).  It'd be handy to know something about the institution.  I know that my mother moved to London in 1939.

This will show locations for places in Ireland-
https://www.townlands.ie/

Checking several sites I have failed to find anywhere called "Frienaragh" or anything even close to it in Ireland. What is your source for the placename?
Duagh is in Listowel area and there was a Workhouse there which closed in 1921. I'm not sure when Listowel Hospital was opened.
http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Listowel/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline roly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 18 December 19 11:31 GMT (UK) »
I can only say that Frienaragh was the location.  Perhaps it was just a house - and, in any case, I did think that the hospital was in Listowel.  The workhouse is a new one on me.

Otherwise - pretty quick off the mark and I'll look up the website you gave

Many thanks,

roly

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 18 December 19 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Apparently there were hospitals in Tralee and Listowel in 1946-
https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/rte-documentary-to-tell-story-of-baby-born-after-hospitals-turned-away-dying-unmarried-mum-862904.html

https://www.duchas.ie/en/cbes/4613716/4611803/4643315

I can only say that Frienaragh was the location.
I asked for the source- word of mouth, document, written note?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline roly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 18 December 19 12:03 GMT (UK) »
My birth certificate: hadn't ever seen it  - a lot of surprises on it.

roly