Author Topic: Byrne Family of Enniscorthy  (Read 2027 times)

Offline Alders

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Byrne Family of Enniscorthy
« on: Friday 03 August 18 14:39 BST (UK) »
Hello all,
Irish genealogy is something i really struggle with so hope you can help? Are there further Enniscorthy resources i can check for the 1820's?

this is my tree https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/tree/79969392/family?fpid=34407922737

I'm trying to track them down to prove/disprove a relations ship they had.
My ancestor Edward Byrne claims to be born in Liverpool 1823. He's a merchant captain & on one of his certificates December 1851 he lists an liverpool address as 18 Islington, now on the night of the census 1851 at the same address is living a James & Elizabeth Byrne.  Coincidence???
So going back i think i have found James & Elizabeth on the 1841 census with 6 children one called Aiden... coincidentally Edward named his only child Aden.

So the family were born in Wexford Enniscorthy & looking for through the ancestry parish registers i can see baptisms combined with my theory  ::)  i think there could be 8 children, i can find baptisms for 5. Not my Edward typically!
Now are there any other resources i can look at & also looking up the registers i have come across sponser names, are they usually relatives? There seems to be a few names that are connected.
Lawrence Doyle / Mary Bolger
Rev E Doyle ??maybe / Ann Bolger
John Doyle / Catherine Bolger
there are other names i can not make out & it states Elizabeths maiden name as Doyle.
As we are talking around the 1820's it seems to be making it harder for me, putting in the other names gives me nothing.

I have tried on the main board before to find this family. links below
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=719820.msg5635758#msg5635758
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=716989.msg5607179#msg5607179

The family children have all vanished from 1841 into thin air!
Byrne, Butterfield, Gilbert, Sutcliffe, Furey, Alderson, Warham, to name a few!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Byrne Family of Enniscorthy
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 August 18 14:45 BST (UK) »
Were the Parish registers mentioned on other threads??

https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0610
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Alders

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 August 18 14:58 BST (UK) »
I don't believe they were mentioned.

Offline Alders

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 August 18 16:33 BST (UK) »
Were the Parish registers mentioned on other threads??

https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0610

Thank you for this, i can find neither parents marriage or baptism nor my missing baptisms. I wonder if they moved to the area?

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 August 18 16:52 BST (UK) »
Try neighbouring Parishes

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 August 18 16:54 BST (UK) »
Posted wrong Parish..sorry

https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0593  is Enniscorthy

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 26 September 18 20:50 BST (UK) »
Some comments.

1) As unlikely as it may seem at first, Aiden/Aidan is in fact the same name as both Moses and Mogue. So you need to consider those variants in your searches.

2) Enniscorthy was part of the estate of the Earl of Portsmouth. There is somewhere on the internet a listing of the tenants in the town ca 1820s?

3) You say nothing about the birth of Edward Byrne in Liverpool in 1823. Have you looked for a baptism record?

4) What was the occupation of James Byrne?

5) Godparents were often, but not invariably, relatives.

BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Alders

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 27 September 18 14:26 BST (UK) »
Some comments.

1) As unlikely as it may seem at first, Aiden/Aidan is in fact the same name as both Moses and Mogue. So you need to consider those variants in your searches.

2) Enniscorthy was part of the estate of the Earl of Portsmouth. There is somewhere on the internet a listing of the tenants in the town ca 1820s?

3) You say nothing about the birth of Edward Byrne in Liverpool in 1823. Have you looked for a baptism record?

4) What was the occupation of James Byrne?

5) Godparents were often, but not invariably, relatives.

Thank you for your reply, i have looked for all variants of Aiden but the family seem to have vanished. Edward is who i am really interested in, but hit dead ends so am tracking down the Byrne's who lived at the same address to so if they could shed any light..... however they are just as tricky. My gut feeling is that Edward was not born in Liverpool & was born in Ireland not sure if wanting to join the merchant navy & rising to the ranks of captain had anything to do with this,  i had hoped that i would find a baptism record for him along with the Byrne's in Enniscorthy but i did not. There is no birth or baptism record for Edward that i can find, James was a Merchant.

I did write down the names of godparents.... & put it away safely as i didn't have much luck! I shall dig them out & try again.  Thank you for the tip on the Earl of Portsmouth i will have a google.