Author Topic: Looking for information on Shaw families in Co. Down, Limerick, Clare or Kerry  (Read 743 times)

Offline clyde645

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Forgive me - I just joined and am a newbie to Roots Chat  :) I live in Virginia (US) and believe the father of my 4th great grandfather (Jeremiah Shaw; 1768-1845) was a man named John Shaw.  There are only 4 John Shaws listed in the 1700 South Carolina census report.  I just took a Y-DNA test with FTDNA and it would appear that my Y-DNA matches many Sheas and O'Sheas in Kerry, but I noticed a John Shaw (bacon supplier) on the Roots Chat Co. Down posts.  I have no idea how to search for Shaws in these counties and if the John Shaw who might be Jeremiah's father changed his name from Shea or O'Shea to Shaw, when he arrived in South Carolina. Thanks!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for information on Shaw families in Co. Down, Limerick, Clare or Kerry
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 August 18 17:37 BST (UK) »
Baptism, Marriage and Burial results for SHEA   Area - KERRY (RC)   
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01mgg/

Baptism, Marriage and Burial results for SHEA  Area - KERRY (RC) ; 1700's    
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01mgh/
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline usaPetticrew

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for information on Shaw families in Co. Down, Limerick, Clare or Kerry
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 August 18 18:47 BST (UK) »
Speaking from my experience of searching for Irish roots for my American immigrant born in early 1700s, it is difficult to find Irish BMD records, and parents and siblings, for persons from the 1700s.

My best luck finding some useful info was through the Belfast News-Letter, which started publishing in 1737.  I searched for "John Shaw" from BNL inception up to  1800.  I found a few mentions of that name.

24 Mar 1761, a notice was published saying that the Black Bull Inn in Lurgan (Co. Armagh), lately owned by John Shaw, now deceased, was now held by his widow Mary and son John Shaw.

26 June 1767, a notice said that this same inn was now solely owned by the son, John Shaw.  There is no mention that his mother was deceased.

October 07, 1791:  "The Black Bull Inn, Lurgan, to be let immediately, for such terms as can be agreed upon....Application for the house to be made to Mr. John Shaw, Belfast."

14 July 1789, a notice:  "Ordinary at Lisburn -- John Shaw, at King's Arms, will have an Ordinary during the ensuing Races....Private Dinners as usual--good stabling, hay and oats, all in the most comfortable manner."

Lisburn is in Co. Antrim, across the Lagan River from Co. Down.

April 19, 1791:  List of High Constables for the County of Down, appointed at Lent Assizes, 1791:
The list includes John Shaw of Drumaroad, for Kinalarty.  I believe Kinalarty is a Barony.

These few mentions might give you some locations to direct your research.  Evidently, these specific John Shaws remained in Ireland after the time when you think he emigrated to America.  You did not say when John and Jeremiah Shaw emigrated, or if Jeremiah was born in Ireland or America.  That might help others to reply.

I hope I don't err when I say I think you meant the 1790 census for South Carolina, which was the first federal census.  If there was a 1700 census I'd welcome hearing about it.  SC was a British colony then.

Petticrew, Pettigrew, Bedigrew, and all variants.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 August 18 19:26 BST (UK) »
County Kerry and County Down aren't anywhere near each other  :-\

Was Jeremiah Shaw born in Ireland or America?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!