Author Topic: Cuba death of Dr. George Johnston  (Read 718 times)

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Cuba death of Dr. George Johnston
« on: Saturday 04 August 18 05:27 BST (UK) »
 Looking for information regarding the death of George Johnston who died in Cuba in 1832.  Apparently he went there for his health, isn’t that ironic?  Hoping that his death record will have the names of his parents on it and where they were from in Ireland.  He had emigrated with his wife Elizabeth Caulfield to Boligee, Greene Co., Alabama but went to Cuba for his health  and died there, I think in Havana.
 Thanks for any help
Peggy
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cuba death of Dr. George Johnston
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 August 18 08:17 BST (UK) »
Looking for information regarding the death of George Johnston who died in Cuba in 1832.  Apparently he went there for his health, isn’t that ironic?  Hoping that his death record will have the names of his parents on it and where they were from in Ireland.  He had emigrated with his wife Elizabeth Caulfield to Boligee, Greene Co., Alabama but went to Cuba for his health  and died there, I think in Havana.

1832 or 1932?

Any idea when he was born or married? have you found him in any US records to get an idea of when he might have gone to Cuba?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 August 18 08:26 BST (UK) »
Have you seen this family tree for George Johnston who died 1832 in Cuba?
https://gw.geneanet.org/belfast8?lang=en&p=george&n=johnston&oc=2

If you have seen this tree have you tried contacting the owner?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 August 18 14:52 BST (UK) »
Hello aghadowey,
Yes, I have seen the tree that you sent the link for and I have written to the owner without getting a reply. I have phoned Boligee in Alabama and they have no info on George or on the Caulfield family that went there. I did find land records for Henry Caulfield in Boligee in 1822  which I gather is about when the family emigrated from Ireland to Alabama possibly via North Carolina. I have built up a small tree on this branch of the Caulfield family which had several marriages with the Watson family  but haven’t been able to link either George or Henry to a specific family in Ireland .   I did find information on family search which helped me with what I have. I did write to a research group in Cuba who didn’t reply.  I don’t think George had been in Cuba very long but how can I be sure.? George and Betty Caulfield supposedly married in Ireland in 1819 before going to Alabama.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 August 18 22:00 BST (UK) »
Potential contributors should see these web pages for more information and context:

http://home.earthlink.net/~rodbush/GALCaufield1.htm

http://www.oocities.org/heartland/flats/7628/casajh.htm
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 August 18 23:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Shaun J,
 Those letters are fabulous with lots of good information in them.  I hope I can find more.  Thank you so very very much.  Very interesting reading as well.
 My desktop computer went up in smoke a few days ago and I am truly truly hoping that it was an electrical problem and that my data from the last 35 to 40 years is intact .  My information about George Johnston, and the Caulfields who went to Alabama is on the desktop but next week I hope to add this new information to my file.
Peggy

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 August 18 19:14 BST (UK) »
Only the  wiring went up in smoke on my computer and the data is safe. ShaunJ., I have been trying to find more of the Memoirs of Alice Johnston Hurt as I think there is more valuable information there about both the Johnstons and the Caulfields who went to Alabama. I have written to several places so will see if I can locate the rest of her memoirs. Thanks so  much for the link.
Peggy

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 01 September 18 04:41 BST (UK) »
Hello again, Shaun J. So far, I  have only been able to locate the one "chapter" of the Memoirs of Alice Johnston Hurt. I am delighted to say that everything she said agrees with what I already had and added to it. She mentioned a brother of George who also  came to Alabama with 7 children and named all the children and her memories of the children but she couldn't remember the name of the brother. However, the children all belonged to David James Johnston, as per the Dave Bradley website. I  was so excited to see that. Alice did say that several Johnstons had to flee to Alabama after the bread riots,  which I had never heard of.
The  sad part is that I cannot locate the rest  of her memoirs. I have tried to contact the person who submitted the memoirs and the email was  rejected. I have contacted my local library who searched  their records and then told me to contact the Library of  Congress. I did that with no  luck. I don't know if you have  any other  ideas as to find the rest of  the memoirs. I am so eager to read the rest of them as they will likely reveal much of that branch of the Johnston family as well as that branch of the  Caulfield family.
One important piece of information is that David James Johnston married Isabella Milling on July 27, 1834 in Castledawson Presbyterian Church. If anyone has access to that marriage, I am hoping it will have David's father's name which is very important  to this  research.
thanks for any help
Peggy