Author Topic: Death of James B Happer/Harper 1843 Co. Tyrone  (Read 1571 times)

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Death of James B Happer/Harper 1843 Co. Tyrone
« on: Sunday 05 August 18 19:14 BST (UK) »
When Margaret Jane Harper/Happer  died in Minnesota USA in 1885, her obituary said that her husband James B. Happer had died in 1843 in County Tyrone Ireland  and then she had emigrated in 1846 with her children.  Although her obituary says that she had eight children I have only tracked five of them in Minnesota .  Her obituary also says that she had married in 1817.  One of the sons George said he was born in Drumadds which I suspect is Drumads so perhaps that is where the father had died.  Does anyone have any information about James B. Happer/Harper in1843?  I think the B stands for Brown.
Thank you
Peggy
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline niccorr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Death of James B Happer/Harper 1843 Co. Tyrone
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 August 18 22:41 BST (UK) »
Look at the Tithe Applotment records for Tamlaght Parish Co Tyrone 1827 Drumads is where both the Hamiltons and Happers both came from.

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 August 18 23:01 BST (UK) »
OK, I  will do. thanks for the help.
Peggy

Offline niccorr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 August 18 00:20 BST (UK) »
Look the U S census for Kalmer township Olmsted in 1880 it gives Margaret Happer mother in law to Joseph Edmiston/Edmondson so he married Elizabeth Happer and in 1885 a George Happer age 64 living with them The connection here is that there were Edmondsons in Kilsally The census should connect these families as there are entries from 1860 to 1900 and probably beyond that Margaret Happers age is given as 86 in 1880                     

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 August 18 00:44 BST (UK) »
Yes, I knew that Elizabeth Happer had married Joseph Edmiston whose sister Elizabeth Edmiston married William Caulfield whose parents were William Robert Caulfield and Mary Jane Houston. But I  didn't know that there were Edmistons/Edmundsons in Kilsally. Eleanor Edmiston was born about 1790 in Ireland but I don't know her maiden name. Eleanor died May 21, 1866 in Kalmar Township. Possibly the father died in Ireland before Eleanor emigrated, same as happened with Jane Caulfield nee Houston and with Margaret Happer nee Duffin. George Happer was Margaret's son and I have learned that Margaret's birth name was Margaret Jane Duffin. I now wonder if William Robert Caulfield and Mary Jane Houston were married in Coalisland or Kilsally. Their marriage was abt 1813.
I know the Happers emigrated abt. 1846. I didn't have any real  luck with the Tithe Applotment records.
Thanks again for your help
Peggy

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 14 August 19 02:35 BST (UK) »
I have learned that William Caulfield who married Elizabeth Edmiston had parents  William Caulfield and Jane Caulfield, not Mary Jane Houston. The death certificate for his brother John had the wrong parents listed.
Also that Margaret Happer was nee Caulfield, not Duffin. This is from  a family letter.
Peggy