Author Topic: Mystery of Thomas Burne (Burns, Byrne) of Mevagissey  (Read 1433 times)

Offline suecolville

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mystery of Thomas Burne (Burns, Byrne) of Mevagissey
« on: Tuesday 07 August 18 08:59 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me with this mystery? My gt gt grandfather is Thomas Burne (as on his marriage cert). His father was Michael Burne a blacksmith of Mevagissey. Thomas married Susan Philp on 26th November 1850 and they were both of "full age". Susan's father was Richard Philp, a fisherman of Mevagissey. Thomas was a mariner.

In all my searching the only Thomas Burne born in Mevaggisey that I can find, was born in 1925 and the only parents I can see for Thomas are Michael Burne and Jane Ley but another person researching this family tells me that Thomas died as a child. I am worried that I might have made an assumption that Michael Burne/Burns/Burne and Jane Ley  are Thomas's parents when they might not be and that I might have attached my Thomas to the wrong family.
Colville, Adie, Dick, Jamieson, Ponton and Turnbull-Dunfermline and Borders
Burns, Philp,Hocking, Pennaligon, Ley, Lelean, Webb, Fitzgerald,Kitto, Langdon, Yelland, (Mevagissey, Cornwall),
Muirhead,Cameron, Hewitson, Crosbie, Hume, Hewitson,Sloan, Neilson,Kerr, Cowan, Scott,Haining (SW Scotland)
Findlay,Gray,Allan, Houston,Wickham,Jamieson,Burrell, Richards,(Edinburgh, Lothians and Stonehaven)

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery of Thomas Burne (Burns, Byrne) of Mevagissey
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 August 18 10:03 BST (UK) »
There are two baptisms for Thomas. One on 5 Jun 1825 in St Austell Weslyan and one 25 Dec 1827 in Mevagissey.

Looking at the 1841 census, some of the children were baptised in St Austell, some in Mevagissey and some in both. Michael, born 1820, was baptised in St Austell in 1825 and also on the same day as Thomas in 1827, as were James and Joanna.

It could be that the first Thomas died or that he was baptised twice. If the latter, it may have been assumed that he died.

David

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 August 18 10:08 BST (UK) »
Cornwall OPC Database shows the marriage.
As you have stated, father Michael was a blacksmith.

There is then this baptism (the only one to fit, 1800-1830!):
25th December 1827 at Mevagissey
Thomas Byrne, son of Michael and Jen Byrne. Father a blacksmith

Baptisms on Cornwall OPC Database show 6 children born to Michael & Jane:
1823 James
1827 Michael (same date as Thomas!)
1827 James (also same date as Thomas)
1827 Joanna (also same date as Thomas)
1830 Jane
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 August 18 10:11 BST (UK) »
The only burial I can see, in Mevagissey, is Michael Byrne, age 43, in 1836.

Can't see a burial for Thomas before the 1841 census?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline suecolville

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 August 18 11:10 BST (UK) »
thanks so much for your help.
Colville, Adie, Dick, Jamieson, Ponton and Turnbull-Dunfermline and Borders
Burns, Philp,Hocking, Pennaligon, Ley, Lelean, Webb, Fitzgerald,Kitto, Langdon, Yelland, (Mevagissey, Cornwall),
Muirhead,Cameron, Hewitson, Crosbie, Hume, Hewitson,Sloan, Neilson,Kerr, Cowan, Scott,Haining (SW Scotland)
Findlay,Gray,Allan, Houston,Wickham,Jamieson,Burrell, Richards,(Edinburgh, Lothians and Stonehaven)

Offline robertbattle

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 May 19 20:34 BST (UK) »
While Thomas does not appear in his mother's household in 1841, the fact that he was born in Mevagissey and that his father was Michael Burn(s), a blacksmith, makes it definite that he was indeed the son of Michael Burns/Byrne and Jane Ley.  He must have either been living elsewhere in 1841 or mistakenly left out by the census taker.  Your Thomas appears in my article on his great-nephew Michael Cyprian O'Byrne (born Michael Burns) in The American Genealogist, 88 (2016): 241-253 (esp. 245).  Like several of his other siblings, he was baptized twice, once in the Wesleyan chapel at St. Austell and once in the Church of England church at Mevagissey (there was a good deal of religious foment in Cornwall at this time).

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 08 May 19 10:44 BST (UK) »
Hello Robert,

Your email address given has been removed because we do not allow email addresses to appear in public posts. Sue has been notified by email of your reply hopefully she will reply soon.

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk