Author Topic: Elizabeth Curtis m.s. Black(born Fife Scotland 1880 , died ?)  (Read 1175 times)

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Aye mair questions than answers!
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Curtis m.s. Black(born Fife Scotland 1880 , died ?)
« on: Tuesday 07 August 18 19:40 BST (UK) »
Hi fellow Fifers

I've hit another brick wall - the bruises from the last time having just healed  ;)

ELIZABETH BLACK, daughter of James Craig Black (1850-1932) and Catherine Cunningham (1849-1934) was born at 8 Market Street, St Andrews on 27 October 1880.  She lived at the same address up until the 1901 Census.

Sometime after 1901 Elizabeth made her way south and in 1907 married Charles Joseph Curtis (1866-1940) in Dorset.  In the 1911 Census I found them residing at High Street, Swanage, Dorset.  Elizabeth's sister Jessie was living with them at the time.

Charles and Elizabeth had a daughter, Kathleen, born 10 June 1912 in Swanage, Dorset, England and in the 1939 Register of England and Wales the family were residing at Glendale, Christchurch Road, West Parley, Dorset.
[The 1939 Register provides a snapshot of the civilian population of England and Wales just after the outbreak of the Second World War.]

On 20 November 1947, Elizabeth and her daughter Kathleen sailed from Southampton, England to New York, USA on board the S.S. "Queen Mary" (Cunard Line) - from 10 Oxford Road, Abingdon, Berkshire : destination Canada.

In 1948 they went to Alaska, then crossed the border in 1949 to Washington and stated they had a cousin Mr Campbell of 1518 Vining Street, Victoria, BC as nearest relative living in Canada. The last journey found for Elizabeth and Kathleen was in 1950 from Seattle to Vancouver.

What happened to them after that?

I'm hopeful that the answer is out there to work on the wall  :)

Regards

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Family surnames being researched ...
Crawford, Neilson, Lindsay, Reekie, Davidson
Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Curtis m.s. Black(born Fife Scotland 1880 , died ?)
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 August 18 08:03 BST (UK) »
There is a death for an Elizabeth Curtis 28th Dec. 1969 Grianan Stokenham(from Probate) Kingsbridge Devon , date of birth 27th Oct. 1880(from FreeBMD).

Cannot see a death for Elizabeth in Scotland , no further clues on the Probate index  :-\

ev

Added -
Topic moved to England(for now)
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 August 18 12:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks for moving this for me Ev.  I did wonder if it would have been better on the Berkshire 'page' given the Abingdon address but, as she was a Fifer, I just thought ...  ::)    Maybe a RootsChatter on the Devon 'page' will pick this up and come up with something for her daughter Kathleen.

Looking at the result you've got, it's almost certainly Elizabeth.  I have also tried SP for a death for her and Kathleen in Scotland but there is nothing.

Sadly, Ancestry has a gap in their Probate information from 1966 - 1973 so I can't get the info from there.  How do I access Probate on FreeBDM?  I managed to get the Death Index.

Regards

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 August 18 13:16 BST (UK) »
I searched the index here -
https://www.gov.uk/search-will-probate

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 August 18 14:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Ev

How I wish I had this expertise at my fingertips :)

Chiad Fhear