Author Topic: William & Frances Elvin 1881 Census - Help  (Read 2639 times)

Offline moo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: William & Frances Elvin 1881 Census - Help
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 08 August 18 18:25 BST (UK) »
Possibly barking up the wrong tree

1901 Census shows

Name   Age
Frana Elvin   64
Emma Sulham   24
Eva Elvin   5
Jno Lambert   57
Jas Lambert   23
Mary S Lambert   22
Jno Jos Lambert   2
Wm Jas Lambert   1

but there is a marriage between an Emma Elvin and John Lambert 1898 Lincoln

Regards
Moo

Offline Daonnachd

• RootsChat Member
  • kindness is free, sprinkle that stuff everywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 08 August 18 18:26 BST (UK) »
I have found Frances Elvin widow born Louth living in Clee 1901, with Emma Pullen - married Grand-daughter b abt 1877 in Grimsby. Emma Elvin married Alfred Henry Pullen in 1896 - though he doesn't seem to be living with Emma on the Census.

Their marriage record states her father as being Tom Elvin. Interesting as this was her Grandfather's name!

If we can find this mysterious Tom Elvin - if he even exists! we might get somewhere finding where Frances was in 1881!

Offline Daonnachd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 08 August 18 18:36 BST (UK) »
Possibly barking up the wrong tree

1901 Census shows

Name   Age
Frana Elvin   64
Emma Sulham   24
Eva Elvin   5
Jno Lambert   57
Jas Lambert   23
Mary S Lambert   22
Jno Jos Lambert   2
Wm Jas Lambert   1

but there is a marriage between an Emma Elvin and John Lambert 1898 Lincoln

Regards
Moo

This record is the one I'm referring to also. The thing is that Williams had a brother Tom - born 1848 and he is in the 1881 census with his own wife - Eliza - and children. Emma Pullam's husband was Alfred Henry Pullam, and their marriage record states Emma's father as being Tom Elvin. Tom Elvin is in the 1881 census with his wife, Sarah who he married before 1771 (as they are in that census).

The only way to be sure if 'Frances' Emma', was actually her daughter (maybe by her brother-in-law????) is to order a PDF of her birth record, but to be honest, I've got more pressing records I need to pay out for.

Offline Daonnachd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 08 August 18 18:53 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I sent this without proof-reading - just to be clear the wife of Thomas Elvin b 1848 is Sarah (NOT  Eliza)

Offline moo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 08 August 18 18:58 BST (UK) »
Hi LindsayC

William's brother Thomas born 19th November 1847 married 1870 to a Sarah Conyers and they had 11 children.
Checked 1881 Census - Frances and William - not with them.
Regards

Moo

Offline lynn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 08 August 18 19:11 BST (UK) »
Hello Moo,

Jane Newday Elvin born 1857 Christening: 01 Feb 1857, Parish Church Swaby was my Great Great Grandmother.

She married George Pettis Groves (my GG Grandfather) on the 18 Jul 1876 in St Andrews Church, Grimsby, Lincolnshire, daughter of WILLIAM ELVIN and FRANCES WILKINSON.  She was born 1857 in White Pit Swaby, Lincolnshire,  and died 26 Aug 1935 in Grimsby Lincolnshire. Burial: 29 Aug 1935, Scartho Cemetery, Grimsby.   Jane already had a daughter Emma (before she maried George)  Emma  was born 19 March 1875 at Grimsby,   George was Lost at sea on the 'Olga' 06 Mar 1883.   

On the 1891 Census Jane is living at 19 Sixhill Street, Grimsby with sons John aged 10 (my G Grandfather) and George aged 8, also William Spencer aged 49 Hawker Manchester.

On the 1901 Census  Jane is married to Joseph Atkin who is 41 and a Stoker in Gas Works, born Thornton Abbey, Lincs and they are living at 19 Sixhill Street, Grimsby.

John and George Groves are down with surnames of Atkin.   John aged 20 a Ship Fireman and George aged 17 a Saw Mill Labourer, also Elizabeth Overton a visitor aged 35 single and living on own means born Grimsby. 

Jane then remarried 10 May 1896 Parish Church, Clee Grimsby to ALFRED HENRY PULLEN.  This was a turbulent Marriage!!

Emma, Janes daughter, had a child Eva May Pullen Elvin born 1896 and died 6 July 1906, buried 10 July 1906 at Cleethorpes Municipal Cemetery, they lived at Victor Street.

If you require any further information please get in touch.

Best Wishes
Lynn Groves

Offline moo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 08 August 18 19:23 BST (UK) »
Hello Lynn

Thank you so much for the information, I did think I had a marriage to a Groves for her, but was not totally sure. So would I be right in thinking that the Emma with Francis is Jane's daughter Emma ?

My Line is through Thomas Elvin (Williams brother) and Sarah Conyers (daughter Ethel Elvin born 1883). Happy to share what I have if your interested.

Regards
Moo

Offline Daonnachd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 08 August 18 19:32 BST (UK) »
Hi LindsayC

William's brother Thomas born 19th November 1847 married 1870 to a Sarah Conyers and they had 11 children.
Checked 1881 Census - Frances and William - not with them.
Regards

Moo

I agree, but seems odd that Emma states her father's name as 'Tom'!

I've checked several family members who appear in the 1881 census, but can't find Frances or William anywhere.

Has anyone checked William's death record to see who registered it?

Offline Daonnachd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 08 August 18 19:46 BST (UK) »
Hello Moo,

Jane Newday Elvin born 1857 Christening: 01 Feb 1857, Parish Church Swaby was my Great Great Grandmother.

She married George Pettis Groves (my GG Grandfather) on the 18 Jul 1876 in St Andrews Church, Grimsby, Lincolnshire, daughter of WILLIAM ELVIN and FRANCES WILKINSON.  She was born 1857 in White Pit Swaby, Lincolnshire,  and died 26 Aug 1935 in Grimsby Lincolnshire. Burial: 29 Aug 1935, Scartho Cemetery, Grimsby.   Jane already had a daughter Emma (before she maried George)  Emma  was born 19 March 1875 at Grimsby,   George was Lost at sea on the 'Olga' 06 Mar 1883.   

On the 1891 Census Jane is living at 19 Sixhill Street, Grimsby with sons John aged 10 (my G Grandfather) and George aged 8, also William Spencer aged 49 Hawker Manchester.

On the 1901 Census  Jane is married to Joseph Atkin who is 41 and a Stoker in Gas Works, born Thornton Abbey, Lincs and they are living at 19 Sixhill Street, Grimsby.

John and George Groves are down with surnames of Atkin.   John aged 20 a Ship Fireman and George aged 17 a Saw Mill Labourer, also Elizabeth Overton a visitor aged 35 single and living on own means born Grimsby. 

Jane then remarried 10 May 1896 Parish Church, Clee Grimsby to ALFRED HENRY PULLEN.  This was a turbulent Marriage!!

Emma, Janes daughter, had a child Eva May Pullen Elvin born 1896 and died 6 July 1906, buried 10 July 1906 at Cleethorpes Municipal Cemetery, they lived at Victor Street.

If you require any further information please get in touch.

Best Wishes
Lynn Groves

Thank you Lynn for all this!

The marriage record I got from Ancestry (England Select Marriages) that states Emma Elvin married Alfred Henry Pullen
is as follows:

Emma Elvin
Female
Age 20

birth date 1876
marriage date 1896
marriage place Clee, Lincoln,
father Tom Elvin

spouse Alfred Henry Pullen - spouse father Joseph Edward Pullen

FHL Film Number: 1450452

Ref. ID 2:3BW7QG7

I'm not saying this is right - but it's there!

Hello LindseyC

Williams parents were Thomas Elivn and Eliza Wilkinson Holloway married 1855.

Regards
Moo