Author Topic: Aft 1850 US Fisher daughters Johannes Fisher & Hannah Weiser.  (Read 932 times)

Offline CynFin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Aft 1850 US Fisher daughters Johannes Fisher & Hannah Weiser.
« on: Wednesday 08 August 18 23:32 BST (UK) »
This is a photo of the daughters of Johannes Fisher & Hannah Weiser. One of them is my 4x-great grandmother, Mary Magdalene Fisher. It was likely taken in the state of Ohio in the US - would love some help dating it.

Of course, we'd love to know which daughter is which too. Unfortunately the person we got the photo from did not know.

Thanks in advance for your help!

CynFin

Offline Mike Morrell (NL)

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Netherlands
    • View Profile
Re: Aft 1850 US Fisher daughters Johannes Fisher & Hannah Weiser.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 August 18 12:03 BST (UK) »
I don't much about dating old photos but I'm trying to learn a bit more.

Looking at the info on this webpage https://www.uvm.edu/landscape/dating/clothing_and_hair/1850s_clothing_women.php, the dresses, sleeves and bonnets seem to match the early-mid 1850's. There are a number of photos of ladies wearing similar dress in the 1850's. Examples can be found via google and on Jesse Cresse's Flickr album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/110347036@N05/sets/72157644805202274/with/16119723429/. Cress unfortunately doesn't go into detail on the dates of photos other than mid-1800's.
There's even one that looks similar to me from 1842: http://www.finedags.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=resources.datingdags

Photo restorers may re-use and improve on my posted versions. Acknowledgement appreciated.

Online Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 August 18 13:33 BST (UK) »
Hi CynFin and welcome to RootsChat....I would say this is late 1850s and it looks like a copy.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline DrDude45

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great minds... go unappreciated.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 August 18 19:33 BST (UK) »
From the info I've found, that's Barbara Fisher (Broushes) on the far right.

Most info on this family can be found here:

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/31350408/hannah-fisher

My two cents.
I just like to do photo restores.

Offline CynFin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 August 18 17:41 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
Thanks much for the replies!
Mike: The links you included were very interesting and they make for great reference photos.
Carol: Thanks for your thoughts! It is possible for this to be a copy. We do not have the original photo and found the image on Ancestry.
Dr Dude: Thanks for pointing that out! I hadn't seen that someone added the photo - I wonder how they knew which one was Barbara?

It's odd because there were 6 daughters in the family. Barbara is seated the farthest on the right, as FindAGrave.com suggests. When my Mom did this with her siblings, they stood in birth order, but I can't understand why Catherine would be in the as the handwriting suggests.

1. Maria/Mary Eva Fisher Binkley 1801-1895
2. Catherine Fisher Lewis 1803-1889
3. Hannah Fisher Herring 1806-1884
4. Mary Magdalene Fisher Herring 1808-1876 (my 4XGGM)
5. Barbara Fisher Broshus 1810-1900
6. Sarah Fisher Hayes Dempsey Herring Piper 1821-1860

Offline DrDude45

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 August 18 18:16 BST (UK) »
Always glad to help. FindaGrave can be very useful sometimes.

Here's the person who posted the photo. They seem to be quite active on the site and might have some more details for you.

https://www.findagrave.com/user/profile/48830789

Hope this helps!

Offline DrDude45

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 August 18 18:35 BST (UK) »

It's odd because there were 6 daughters in the family. Barbara is seated the farthest on the right, as FindAGrave.com suggests. When my Mom did this with her siblings, they stood in birth order, but I can't understand why Catherine would be in the as the handwriting suggests.

1. Maria/Mary Eva Fisher Binkley 1801-1895
2. Catherine Fisher Lewis 1803-1889
3. Hannah Fisher Herring 1806-1884
4. Mary Magdalene Fisher Herring 1808-1876 (my 4XGGM)
5. Barbara Fisher Broshus 1810-1900
6. Sarah Fisher Hayes Dempsey Herring Piper 1821-1860

This is a reversed photo. It's hard to tell, but the way the 4th person in your photo (and similarly but harder to see of the 5th person) has her robe closed shows it's closed as a male outfit would be. (left over right) so I reversed the photo for you.

Offline CynFin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 06 October 18 19:09 BST (UK) »
DrDude45: wow, that's a really intriguing suggestion! I'm only just seeing your restore now. I'm looking at the reversed order and it "feels" right. I'm going to let my Mom know and see what she thinks. She's got a great eye for photographic details and has been wanting to know which is her ancestor.

Separately, on the "why are there only 5 in the picture when there are six daughters" question, I've been speculating that it was taken in 1860/1861 after the youngest daughter, Sarah died. Their parents died in 1857 & 1858. I can imagine them coming together for their baby sister's funeral and deciding to get a photograph taken before they went their separate ways.

Or it could be they went back for their mother's funeral but Sarah couldn't go for some reason (she gave birth around that time, so maybe she was too pregnant to travel).

Thanks again - I never would have thought of the photo being reversed!