Author Topic: Pigot & Son's 1832 Directory for Manchester & Salford  (Read 1889 times)

Offline Timbottawa

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Alice Baldwin Yarborough circa 1920
    • View Profile
Re: Pigot & Son's 1832 Directory for Manchester & Salford
« Reply #9 on: Friday 10 August 18 09:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks garstonite and amongd

I don't know where Massey comes from.  The witness at the marriage could be a blood relative of Harriet - perhaps an aunt?  It could be Harriet's mother's maiden name?  Definitely not from the Boyle side.

William Massey Boyle's story is a tragic one.  Orphaned at the age of 10, he became a successful wine merchant - by 1871, the family had a servant, but he was forced into bankruptcy in 1875, and both he and his wife died in 1879, leaving 4 orphans aged 7-12
Boyle, Butler, Yarborough, Baldwin, Midwood, McHale, Carter, Noble, Kay, Raper, Greenwood, Swift

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 10 August 18 09:49 BST (UK) »
who did William Massey Boyle marry ?

Williams death registered in Prestwich aged 44 - the only Boyle in that year 1879 in Prestwich - so where did his wife die /...just curious why they weren't both in the same area -
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Timbottawa

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 10 August 18 09:55 BST (UK) »
Sarah Broome, from Stockton.

In 1881, the oldest and youngest of his 4 orphaned children are living with their aunts, Emma and Isabella Boyle; the older son is living with his maternal grandfather, John Broome, in Stockton, but the 2nd daughter/3rd child is in the Warehousemen and Clerks Orphans School at Cheadle.  For the life of me, I can't figure out how 3 of the children were with relatives and the 4th in an orphanage!
Boyle, Butler, Yarborough, Baldwin, Midwood, McHale, Carter, Noble, Kay, Raper, Greenwood, Swift

Offline Timbottawa

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 10 August 18 09:58 BST (UK) »
Sorry ... I missed the 2nd half of your message.  Sarah died in Stockton in 1st Q of 1879.  It's tempting to think that the bankruptcy led to a separation, which is why he died in Prestwick