Author Topic: Missing Seeds  (Read 1460 times)

Offline schimmellover

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Missing Seeds
« on: Thursday 09 August 18 14:17 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am researching the Seed family of Preston.  Currently looking at the family of Thomas Seed b.1807 Preston, who was a portrait artist.  He lived in Jersey from late 30's to early 50's then in and near Bristol where he and his sons ran a portrait and photography business.  He died 1895. I am looking for two people: 1. his younger son Frederick Stewart Seed b. 1847 Jersey is in Bristol in 1891 census but I don't find any trace of him after that.  2. Thomas' grandson, Thomas Federick Seed b. 1861 London, son of his younger son, Thomas Edward, (who died in 1874).  Thomas Frederick appears on 1871 census, and his father's 1874 Will appoints grandfather Thomas as his guardian, but I don't find him after that.  I find no marriage or death records for either of these people.  I wonder if they went abroad?
Any ideas?

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Seeds
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 August 18 21:34 BST (UK) »
I've had a look too, and I can't find them I'm afraid.  I've got Thomas and Fredk S Seed in St Helier in 1851.  In 1861 they are in Bristol, with Thomas's birthplace shown as Preston, Lancs.  In 1871 in St Michael, Gloucestershire, with Thomas Frederick, their grandson, aged 9, born London.  Not found them in 1881 yet, but in 1891 Frederick Stewart Seed is living alone in Bristol (presumably renting one room of a house in multiple occupation) pursuing his career of Water colour artist and Photographer.

I see in the 1851 census from Jersey, when they were living in St Helier, that Thomas is down as Portrait & Miniature Artist whereas his wife, Amelia, is Professor of Drawing & Painting, which is pretty impressive for a woman in those days!

Regards
GS
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline schimmellover

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 August 18 23:00 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for taking the time to look.
 I have also had someone look on Ancestry world (which I don’t have) and they haven’t found them either.  Just keep looking I guess.
If they were in the UK, their deaths would have to have been registered, wouldn’t they?

All the best,
C

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 August 18 05:50 BST (UK) »
Do you have any connections with South Africa,
there is a Thomas Frederick Seed aged 27 years marriage to Elizabeth Mary Chippendale
occupation farmer,marriage took place September 4th 1888,at Mooi River Natal,private residence
wotnessed by Mary Roberts and Henry Alfred Sidgwick
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 August 18 06:00 BST (UK) »
his wife, Amelia, is Professor of Drawing & Painting, which is pretty impressive for a woman in those days!

"Professor" used to have a much wider usage than its modern English meaning of the holder of a university chair, and it is often best to substitute the word "teacher" to get a modern equivalent meaning. My grandfather is described in a number of documents as "professor of music", but he never went anywhere near a university.

That is not to detract from the achievement, though, which as you say is pretty impressive.
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Online maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 August 18 06:23 BST (UK) »
Not found them in 1881 yet,

Just in case you don't have it - in 1881 they are in Widemarsh St, Hereford
Thomas Seed    73    Preston, Lancashire
Amelia Seed    76    Axbridge, Somerset
Fredrick S Seed    33    Jersey, Channel Islands
Charlotte Cuddsford    Sister In Law    73    Axbridge, Somerset
Sarah Wallace    Servant                    18    Hereford, Herefordshire

RG11/2593/15

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 August 18 07:06 BST (UK) »
Mr T Seed
departure London
25th April 1882
arrival Cape Town 22nd May 1882
forwarding to Natal
Ship,C.M.S Conway
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Online maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 11 August 18 07:50 BST (UK) »
Have you tried following Frederick Stewart's widow, Edith Rawkins (nee FOX) to find the grandson? It looks like she remarries in 1892 (Bath 5c/1169), however (of course) there is a name missing , so it could have been to James Henry COOPER, Edward Nelson HAXELL, or someone else. I don't think it was HAXELL as he appears in later censuses.

Added: Here she is in 1901 on Kew Gardens Rd with daughter Edith Mary, so no help there ...
Albert Berg    60    Germany
Emily Berg    48    London
Edith R Nelson    Visitor    56    Southampton, Hampshire
Edith M Seed    Visitor    32    Weston Super Mare, Somersetshire

Online maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 11 August 18 07:56 BST (UK) »
I see she married again - to John Menham PLETTS on 8 July 1903 (Richmond 2a/969)

Added: Again, son Thomas Frederick SEED not with them in 1911
boarding with Francis and Elizabeth NEATE in East Tilbury,

so sorry, maybe not such a good idea ...