Author Topic: Elberfeld (Wuppertal archive) lookup request  (Read 1170 times)

Offline Greygirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elberfeld (Wuppertal archive) lookup request
« on: Thursday 09 August 18 20:21 BST (UK) »
Have been trying for several years to track down info about my German G-Grandfather Johann Faust to no avail and am now trying a different tack hoping that info about his wife may give me a lead.
Her name is Wilhelmine Emma Olga Kaprolat b 7 Nov 1867 in Elberfeld NRW
Her father: Carl Kaprolat b 12 Mar 1834 in Kraupischehnen E. Prussia
Her mother: Clara Wilhelmina Emma Eckgold b18 Mar 1837.

My lookup request: Look at the Geburtsurkunde for W.E.O Kaprolat in the hope that someone has appended info about her marriage and death

Supplemental long-shot request: Any chance that someone could check the Elberfeld Heiratsurkunden for her marriage. I don't know that she was definitely married there, and it could have been in Gelsenkirchen. Also I have no date for the marriage but do have the following facts:
Husband: Johann Faust, milkman. No d.o.b/parents/siblings but born in Dortmund or Elberfeld and died somewhere in the USA 1904-ish.
First child (Johann Georg Friedrich Faust, my Grandfather, whose birth certificate I have) b 27 Nov 1889 Augustastraße 9, Gelsenkirchen so it seems likely that the marriage occurred within a year or two before 1889. There is a widow of Carl Kaprolat (WEO's mother) but no Johann Faust in the on-line Elberfeld address book for 1885 which is the closest to 1889 that I can find and I can't find an on-line Gelsenkirchen address book close to that date, both of which could have helped to narrow the dateline a bit.
Anyone up for the challenge? I'm keen to track down Johann Faust's origins.  :)
Lloyd (Ystumtuen, Llanfihangel y Creuddyn) Powell (Rhondda, Merthyr Tydfil, Llanspyddid) Yearsley (Monmouth, Ruardean) Faust (Gelsenkirchen, Dortmund & Waltersbrück/Bischhausen) Führen (Eschweiler, Duisburg and Kranenburg/Grafwegen)

Offline davecapps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Elberfeld (Wuppertal archive) lookup request
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 December 18 12:43 GMT (UK) »
You said that Carl Kaprolat was born in Kraupischehnen E. Prussia.
As far as I know there is no such place.

It should read Kraupischkehmen, East Prussia.

Kraupischkehmen, Gumbinnen, county Insterburg,  was renamed Erdmannsruh in 1938, now Russian - Saliwnoje

https://s.meyersgaz.org/search?search=Kraupischkehmen

--------------------------------------------------------------------
I found a Johann Gottfried Faust born 14 Apr 1854 in Sarkau, East Prussia
(now Russian – Lesnoi)
Parents:  Johann Gottfried Faust and Anna Christina Breuer

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?viewrecord=1&r=5538&db=GLutheranGermany&indiv=try&h=16819642

https://s.meyersgaz.org/search?search=Sarkau

These two places are only 49 kilometres apart.

Johann could have been born in E Prussia before he moved to Elberfeld. Just a thought

Dave

Offline Greygirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 December 18 14:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dave, thanks for taking the trouble. In fact, things have moved on as I made a trip to Germany (cheap flights were available) and after visiting a number of archives in NRW had a breakthrough. I eventually discovered that Wilhelmina Emma Olga Kaprolat was the wrong woman and that Johann married a Wilhelmina Kaprolat (not Emma Olga) who was born only a few miles from WEO Kaprolat's father Carl. They must have been related in some way. Having found the marriage record I was then able to trace Johann's birth record (in Rotthausen) and his parents - father came from Waltersbrück in Hesse). Must say that Archion.de was worth the subscription for a month and I am still ploughing through the Gelsenkirchen death records on Landesarchiv NRW (Ostwestfalen-Lippe) which are not fully indexed yet. My next mission is to find out what happened to Johann, my G-grandfather, who is supposed to have been stabbed to death in a bar brawl "somewhere in the USA" around 1903/1904. How he came to be there is anyone's guess :)
Lloyd (Ystumtuen, Llanfihangel y Creuddyn) Powell (Rhondda, Merthyr Tydfil, Llanspyddid) Yearsley (Monmouth, Ruardean) Faust (Gelsenkirchen, Dortmund & Waltersbrück/Bischhausen) Führen (Eschweiler, Duisburg and Kranenburg/Grafwegen)

Offline davecapps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 December 18 17:44 GMT (UK) »
please mark posts like this as completed.
Saves people spending unnecessary time.

Regards
Dave

Offline Greygirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
*Re: Elberfeld (Wuppertal archive) lookup request* COMPLETED
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 May 21 14:54 BST (UK) »
COMPLETED