Author Topic: Same couple married each other twice within 18 months  (Read 2408 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Same couple married each other twice within 18 months
« on: Thursday 09 August 18 23:24 BST (UK) »
I've just discovered that a second cousin married the same person twice and I'm rather puzzled.

One entry is for Q2 1925 and one is for Q4 1926. They are definitely the same couple and the same registration district. The second was a church wedding, by licence , performed by a brother who was ordained (but not the vicar of the parish). I found the full cert for the second marriage on FindMyPast. The first one was probably a registry office marriage as I've found no entry in the local records (either in Denbighshire or Shropshire as the RD straddled the border)  so I'll have to send off for the cert.

In the meantime, does anyone have any ideas why this might have occurred  or even if it was legally possible. Their first child was born a year later so it wasn't a rushed marriage.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Same couple married each other twice within 18 months
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 August 18 07:00 BST (UK) »
Perhaps the first marriage was irregular in some way?  Would the bride and/or the bridegroom have needed the permission of parents?

Maybe the family insisted on a second wedding because there were no family members present at the first?
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 August 18 07:05 BST (UK) »
The only instance I have found in my family of the same people marrying twice were when the groom was in the forces so presumably had married 'without permission'
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 August 18 07:10 BST (UK) »
Are you really related to Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor ?  :D ;D ;)

Mlaky

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 August 18 08:02 BST (UK) »
Are you really related to Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor ?  :D ;D ;)

Mlaky

How did you guess - my Welsh side  ;D

Seriously, the groom was 37 and the bride was 27 on  the second one. The groom's parents were dead.  I had the impression from the family that it was a shot gun one.  I'm wondering if there was a pregnancy that miscarried and they had a rushed one but didn't tell anyone. They then had the church wedding and no one knew of the first one. They gave different addresses on the second one too.   I thought that the second one wouldn't have been legal though. The Church one should have been a blessing only - surely? I suppose that if they hadn't admitted marriage, then no one would have been any wiser.

There's no one to ask now as the couple's only child died 2 years ago  :-\

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 August 18 08:56 BST (UK) »
I have something similar but seven years apart and involving a surname change of the groom.  Both of full age.  All I can surmise is a not proven dead estranged first wife (hence 7 years) and associated scandal (hence name change) but I've never found anything in the newspapers and no family legends have been passed down so an enduring mystery.

It will be interesting to find out what theories other rootschatters have because they may blow my idea right out of the water!

Jane :-)
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Online AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 10 August 18 09:02 BST (UK) »
These double marriages do crop up quite regularly - and often there is no obvious explanation. The WW2 fighter pilot Sir Douglas Bader being a well known example.

It is quite legal ( and specifically allowed under the Marriage Act) for a couple to have a religious wedding ceremony after already being married in a register office - but the second marriage doesn't require banns or any licence  and should not be entered into the church's marriage register.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 10 August 18 09:28 BST (UK) »

It is quite legal ( and specifically allowed under the Marriage Act) for a couple to have a religious wedding ceremony after already being married in a register office - but the second marriage doesn't require banns or any licence  and should not be entered into the church's marriage register.

But it was by licence and was written into the register and is listed in the GRO index  ???

Thanks for everybody's comments so far.

Gadget

Offline Melbell

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 10 August 18 09:34 BST (UK) »
At the second marriage, what did the bride and groom give as their marital statuses?

If they felt that the first marriage was irregular in some way, that could account for it.  But a second marriage only serves to cast doubt on the validity of the first, so it's not usually advisable, especially if there are already children.

Melbell