Author Topic: Same couple married each other twice within 18 months  (Read 2399 times)

Offline Melbell

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Same couple married each other twice within 18 months
« Reply #18 on: Friday 10 August 18 14:57 BST (UK) »
When second marriages (between the same parties) take place 'openly' with no hidden reasons, the marital status should reflect the fact that they've been married to each other before: so would be "Went through a form of marriage on.........at........."
or "Previously married on.............at.........Marriage dissolved on..............." 

I'm sure it doesn't always happen like that though!

I wonder if in this case someone in the family didn't like the register office marriage and it was easy for the priest-who-was-a-relation to get a Licence (no awkward Banns to call!) and marry them again 'properly'.

Melbell

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 10 August 18 15:06 BST (UK) »

I wonder if in this case someone in the family didn't like the register office marriage and it was easy for the priest-who-was-a-relation to get a Licence (no awkward Banns to call!) and marry them again 'properly'.

Melbell

That's the most likely in this case, Melbell.  The minister was a brother.
I think I'll wait to see what info is revealed on the earlier cert.

Thanks to all who've replied. I've now marked this thread as completed.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Sc00p

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 10 August 18 15:47 BST (UK) »
There is something unusual about the second registration the page number is outside the expected range for the district.  Is it a relative of the bride on the same page for the first registration or just a coincidence?

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 10 August 18 16:24 BST (UK) »
It's the first one that's the one I'm querying.  I have the certificate for the second one. 

Thanks for your interest  :)

PS - both entries match the couple.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline eadaoin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Reilg Chill Barróg
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 10 August 18 19:41 BST (UK) »
The only instance I have found in my family of the same people marrying twice were when the groom was in the forces so presumably had married 'without permission'

Great-uncle Tom married his wife twice - a year apart. He was a policeman in the R.I.C. and married the first time after 6 years service (they weren't supposed to marry until they had 7 years service) . . maybe there was a baby on the way, though I've never found a birth corresponding.
Begg - Dublin, Limerick, Cardiff
Brady - Dublin
Breslin - Wexford, Dublin
Byrne - Wicklow
O'Hara - Wexford, Kingstown
McLoghlin - Roscommon
Lawlor - Meath, Dublin
Lynam - Meath and Renovo, Pennsylvania
Everard - Meath
Fagan - Dublin
Meyler/Myler - Wicklow
Gray - Derry, Waterford
Kavanagh - Limerick

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 10 August 18 20:43 BST (UK) »
The topic of couples marrying twice comes every so often and yet, and I could be mistaken, I don't recall anyone finding a substantiated reason for it. I would have thought occasionally someone would find a bit of evidence on a marriage record, in a newspaper item or in a service record as to why but apparently not. We all just seem to end up speculating as to the reason.

I have some interest in this as I have a set of 2xgt grandparents that married twice, a couple of years apart; both times in church and after banns. In my case it's likely due him being in the army and not having permission for the first marriage, however, there's no evidence of that on his service record.
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 10 August 18 20:46 BST (UK) »
Absolutely no obvious reason for the marriages that I highlighted, apart from the suggestion made by Mellbell. 

Melbell

That's the most likely in this case, Melbell.  The minister was a brother.
I think I'll wait to see what info is revealed on the earlier cert.

Thanks to all who've replied. I've now marked this thread as completed.

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 17 August 18 18:47 BST (UK) »
Just to say that I received the June 1925 marriage cert today and it was a registry office marriage. I didn't recognise the witnesses as family. Their addresses were the same as the Dec 1926 CofE marriage. The Registry Office was 6 miles from the village where the couple lived.

I think it was most likely that they may have married secretly and hurriedly (maybe a pregnancy that ended in a miscarriage) but possibly didn't live together. They then married 'properly' as Melbell suggested.

Interestingly, their daughter never mentioned this (would she have known  :-\  ). I'll now contact a cousin (grt niece of the groom) to see if her father mentioned this to her.

Gadget