Author Topic: Arthur and Annie Day in East London  (Read 1428 times)

Offline lynbowie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Arthur and Annie Day in East London
« Reply #9 on: Monday 08 October 18 20:49 BST (UK) »
Hi, I don't know how far you have got with Anna Maria Johanna Fourie, but there is plenty of info on her line on thei net. She was born 31st May 1889 in Brandfort in the Orange Free State. Her father was Coenraad Fredrick Fourie and her mother Anna Catherina Marx. This was one of the Vootrekker families who left Graaf Reniet in the Eastern Cape to trek north to escape the rule of the British.
The line began with the immigrant brothers Petrus and David, sons of Louis Fourie and Anna Jordaan, who came to the Cape. They each have their own well documented lines.
My grandmother was also of this line. Also a Fourie, her second name was also Johanna. I was brought up in East London, South Africa.
I have more on this family but there will be plenty if you put her family into Wiki.
Good luck. Lyn.

Offline lynbowie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 08 October 18 20:52 BST (UK) »
Correction... She was my father's Grandmother. My great Grandmother! Lyn.

Offline becky1982

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 11:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Lyn,
thanks for this information. I saw her baptism certificate on family search but thought she might have been too old as my grandfather was born ca 1906, according to his probate record dated 1946. I have absolutely no information about her or her family though and I´d be very interested to find out any more that you may know about her or her family,  could you send me a PM, please? TIA

Offline lynbowie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 11:51 BST (UK) »
Hi, how did you come upon her name in connection with your family? She is the generation before, but could easily have given birth to your grandfather or grandmother. Where did you see her name?
Lyn.

Offline lynbowie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 12:16 BST (UK) »
Actually, it would have to be a male relative, probably a brother, who gave birth to her. She may have been named after her aunt. That would make the generations fit. My great grandmother was Maria Aletta Johanna Fourie. I have a couple of portrait photos of her. My tree is on Ancestry.co .uk.
Where are you living?
Lyn.

Offline becky1982

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 18:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Lyn,
Her name appears on my mum´s baptism certificate - dd Dec 1928, in East London - Church of Immaculate Conception and then her name appears on my maternal grandfather´s probate record (1946- her husband)- a note in the margin states that the former wife died ca. 11 years before - 1935 which tallies with what my mum believed - the mother "left" them when my mum was about 7. Her father obviously didn´t say she´d died.
I´m on family search but not on ancestry

Offline becky1982

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 19:00 BST (UK) »
I´m in Germany