Author Topic: Grandmother & Granddaughter Baptism help  (Read 942 times)

Offline Riddlebrick

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Grandmother & Granddaughter Baptism help
« on: Friday 10 August 18 21:22 BST (UK) »
A bit of a long post but thought I'd give some background

Gt Grandmother Mary Letitia Sanderson b Nov 1898 Ferryhill, Durham, England. Parents on birth cert John Sanderson & Caroline (Collingwood) they married in June 1898.  At some point in 1899 John Sanderson learned that he wasn't born John Sanderson (only raised as that name) and was in fact called Albert Henry Mordecai.  He and Caroline had to remarry under the correct name, not knowing the correct spelling they went with Mordica which the rest of their children were registered.

Albert Henry Mordecai was born in 1876 Cassop, Durham, England to Letitia Mordecai raised by her and her husband (from 1877) John Sanderson.  He is with grandparents in 1881.

Letitia Mordecai was born 1857 Shotton Colliery to John Mordecai & Elizabeth (Haswell)

John Mordecai was born 1818 Butterwick, Durham, England to Letitia/Letisher/Lettice Mordecai , listed on baptism is his father John Thompson, however he was raised by his mother and her husband (from 1921) Francis Carter.

Letitia/Letisher/Lettice Mordecai  was born abt 1788 in Stranton, Durham, England (according to census).  I've never been able to find a baptism record for her.  I do believe that she is descended from one of the children of  Alexander Mordecai 1710–1753 & Lettice Best 1721–1798 from Stranton, Durham, England.  They are the only Mordecai family I have been able to find in Durham and I've tracked all Mordecai's in NE England I've found so far back to them.

Children

John Mordecai 1743–

Cuthbert Mordecai 1745–1799

William Mordecai 1748–

Ann Mordecai 1750–

Letitia Mordecai 1752–1755

If anyone can find anything on Letitia/Letisher/Lettice Mordecai  (1788 in Stranton, Durham, England) who her parent/s were I'd be eternally grateful.

Next is The lady above's Granddaughter.   

Letitia/Letisher/Lettice Mordecai  (1788 in Stranton, Durham, England) had another illegitimate child, Jane Mordecai born 1814.  Jane appears to have had an illegitimate daughter in around 1835 in 1841 & 1851 she is with her Grandparents Francis & Latitia Carter (1941  census), Francis & Letisher Carter (1851).  Her mother Jane had in 1839 married a man called William Hutchinson.

The name of this child is a bit confusing and as such I have been unable to find a baptism for her.  Born approx 1834/35. On the Census (1841 & 1851 Dalton le Dale, Durham, England) she is Lettis Carter, I have found a marriage in 1959 where she is called Viletta Mordecai.  She marries Stephen Cuthbert and her father is listed as William Hutchinson (same name as mothers husband), on the remaining census entries she is Violetta.   If anyone can help find a baptism, that would be great.

Thanks in advance

Riddlebrick
Norfolk – Girdlestone
Durham & North Yorkshire – Stevens, Mordecai, Collingwood, Christopher, Taylor, Henderson, Grewcock, Charlton
Northumberland – Small, Swanston, Gilchrist
London – Genesis, Biggs
Wiltshire & Staffordshire – Stevens, Burt, Taylor, Maskell, James, Green, Onions
Scotland – Bertie, Henderson, Skene, Allison, Peacock

Offline woff_ching

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Grandmother & Granddaughter Baptism help
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 January 19 10:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Riddlebrick, My name is John Waugh.  I am contacting you with regards to a post in which information was requested on this site about the O'Keefe family. I can't seem to find the post now but the head of the family discussed was John O'Keefe. The post was active last night. He was my great grandfather on my mother side. She was Hilda Waugh nee O'Keefe whose father was Patrtick O'Keefe. Her only memory of her grandfathers when she was a her fathers funeral.  Her memory of him was as a big man who was difficult to understand due to his strong Irish accent. If I can help in anyway please contact me. If my understanding is correct we are relations. I no longer live in the North East, however, born a Geordie always a Geordie, but my sister lives in Wideopen Northumberland.

John Waugh

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Grandmother & Granddaughter Baptism help
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 January 19 11:48 GMT (UK) »
Do you mean this thread John?
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=515902.msg3716465#msg3716465

You can search for threads using the 'Search' button on the brown menu bar at the top of the page. If you put John O'keefe in the search box it should have, amongst others, come up.

When you have made another post [3 in total & you can just reply to this or any other thread] you can send personal information such as email address to another member by clicking on the text icon under their name & click 'Send Personal Message'

Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON