Author Topic: Rev. John Pengwern Jones, Llangollen  (Read 1908 times)

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
Re: Rev. John Pengwern Jones, Llangollen
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 11 August 18 19:46 BST (UK) »
The Liverpool Daily post (19 October 1940) has details of:
A Freehold Dwelling House
being number 23, Princess Street, Llangollen lately in the possession of Miss J. Pengwern Jones, deceased and contains kitchen, back kitchen and two bedrooms with out offices at rear. Water and lighting are installed.
Auctioned that month

Mar
Surname Interests
Massey, Munkley, Powell, Thompson, Thurkettle

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 11 August 18 19:51 BST (UK) »
Have you read the entry for JPJ in this book?

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=8rMKm-Ee1dYC&pg=PA92&lpg=PA92&dq=%22john+pengwern+jones%22&source=bl&ots=QDMAHVLlWZ&sig=c35hfqJqjAmvBlrNzM-N9Uh2QTs&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjm8umn1OXcAhUwM-wKHYDPCcYQ6AEwEHoECAMQAQ#v=onepage&q=%22john%20pengwern%20jones%22&f=false

Firstly he and the second Mrs Jones were living under the same roof before they married, and later allegations were made against him by some of the children, although he was exonerated

Offline Richardmj1955

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 11 August 18 20:08 BST (UK) »
Yes I did, and even spoke to the Brownlow family (2nd wife's). They told me he was putting it about and was forced to marry his second wife. They didn't have any kids. As for the girls, in another post, I read that he was set up or some sort. His 'son', my grandad was born in 1902. From the dna of my father, about 3/4th is from the British Isles, Anglo/Welsh and Irish (his mother being Irish), and a quarter is from South East Asia/China etc. Basically someone of Khasi/Assamese descent, which seems to match the narrative that he might have gotten a local pregnant and then adopted the child.

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 11 August 18 20:54 BST (UK) »
Not sure if there is a family connection, so posting it to rule in/out
There is a marriage of Annie Pengwern Jones in 1914 in Carmarthen (age 25).
She gives her address as Rhospengwern, Llangollen, and her father David Jones (farmer)

Added: Marriage of Anna Jones in 1932 (born 1914) in India to  Robert Dunne lists 'by adoption' John Pengwern Jones as her father

Mar
Surname Interests
Massey, Munkley, Powell, Thompson, Thurkettle

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk