Author Topic: Possible ancestry USA Johnson  (Read 530 times)

Offline uprooted

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Possible ancestry USA Johnson
« on: Saturday 11 August 18 19:21 BST (UK) »
Not sure where to start so I will just wing it,

My father's family is very racially ambiguous, some of us look white, while others get mistaken for latino, native american, middle eastern, or mixed/questionable. My father's family doesn't really know their history of the family other than that my great grandmothers grandmother was very dark and didn't speak english while her husband spoke whatever language it was and english as well. Despite this they had an English last name. They came to the U.S. in the mid 1800s around the Carolinas areas, her grandmother was born in north Carolina. My Great Grandmother, and the women in my family up until my generation would do spells/herbal medicine and remedies and to make money would do fortune telling though one of my great grandmother's sisters is said to have done dance contests to make money. My great grandmother grew up with a farming family in the deep south and were not able to read/write. The most telling though was my mother likes to study cultures and what not and got a book on Romany peoples and their culture when I was a child, she was like "oh this sounds like your family" to my father and the more that was read of it the more it fit the way his family is.

I know that within traveler and Rom communities if a woman that was married a man who was not in the community would typically be kicked out of the community. I'm wondering if this was the case with my great great grandmother or maybe her mother and that the maternal side decided to keep the traditions and pass them down. I never felt like I fit in anywhere and my family never looked like any of the other white people around here despite classing themselves as white. The only people I've seen that look like my family are on docs about Romani peoples. My family doesn't really have any documentation and ancestry sites can't go past my great grandmother's grandparents and even that information is very very little. After researching I'm not even sure of my great grandmother's first and middle names and her birthdate isn't even possibly accurate ranging from 2 years

A sidenote: My father is also very very fond of boxing and got me to do it as well because he didn't have a son, I know it may be reaching but I know that a lot of English gypsies seem to be into that.

Sorry for the long post I've always just been really curious and have this need to feel like I at least belong somewhat somewhere.