Author Topic: Glasgow Hegarty's  (Read 1303 times)

Offline rohancorea

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Glasgow Hegarty's
« on: Saturday 11 August 18 19:48 BST (UK) »
Looking to trace my Hegarty relations who left Donegal Town for Glasgow in the 1890s. My 3x great uncle Peter Hegarty married Mary McGowan in November 1892 and settled in Glasgow. They were living at 66 Stewart Street in 1901, and Mary died in Glasgow in 1942. I believe Peter may have outlived his wife, but am not sure when he died. I can find no trace of his death record.

Would anyone have known this couple and what became of Peter after Mary's death? He worked as a horse keeper according to the 1901 census.

Many thanks in advance,

Rohan

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
Re: Glasgow Hegarty's
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 August 18 21:14 BST (UK) »
Who registered Mary's death in 1942? Did they have any children? Have you found them in Scotland in the 1911 census? Lots of questions, sorry.

One thing does not compute with me - according to the 1901 census she was 26 (give or take a couple of years) born around 1875 but the death index on Scotlandspeople gives her age as 80 which would have meant her birth year was around 1862. Out by 13 years.

Just an observation.

Dorrie

P.S. I cannot find a death for Peter in Scotland after 1942 so perhaps he returned to Donegal.
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline merryhow

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 August 18 22:09 BST (UK) »

Hi, death index on SP Mary Haggarty ( other name McGowan ) age 69, 1942 Springburn. Peter Haggarty age 80 1952 Springburn. Could this be your man?

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 August 18 22:16 BST (UK) »
That could be it merryhow good find.  Different spelling of the surname.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline rohancorea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 August 18 12:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the help guys. I forgot that some of my Hegarty's who emigrated to America or Scotland changed the spelling of their name to Haggarty. I'm sure that Peter who died in 1952 is my relation, the dates fit perfectly.

The only record I have of Mary's death is a Donegal newspaper notice, I've never actually seen her death record or certificate so not sure who registered the death. Found them in the 1901 census, haven't searched the 1911 one though.

They had no children to the best of my knowledge, so I wonder what became of Peter after his wife's death.

Thanks again for your help!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 August 18 14:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the help guys. I forgot that some of my Hegarty's who emigrated to America or Scotland changed the spelling of their name to Haggarty. I'm sure that Peter who died in 1952 is my relation, the dates fit perfectly.
The only record I have of Mary's death is a Donegal newspaper notice, I've never actually seen her death record or certificate so not sure who registered the death. Found them in the 1901 census, haven't searched the 1911 one though.
They had no children to the best of my knowledge, so I wonder what became of Peter after his wife's death.

I don't think you can really be sure that's the correct Peter without looking at the death certificate and other documents. You need to register with Scotland's People (if you haven't done so already), purchase a few credits then probably start with the deaths for Peter and Mary and 1911 census.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline rohancorea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 August 18 15:32 BST (UK) »

I don't think you can really be sure that's the correct Peter without looking at the death certificate and other documents. You need to register with Scotland's People (if you haven't done so already), purchase a few credits then probably start with the deaths for Peter and Mary and 1911 census.

Just signed up and took your advice, unfortunately the Peter who died in 1952 is not my relation. Can't seem to find the right one either. Found his wife's death record, he is the informant and was living at 52 Seaward Street in Glasgow. He worked as a contractor's carter. Shall have to keep digging to see what became of him.

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 13 August 18 22:43 BST (UK) »
Other possible deaths to check in the Glasgow area

HAGGARTY
PETER
644/17 223
Govan

HAGGARTY
PETER
644/4 327
Provan

Offline rohancorea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Glasgow Haggarty/Hegarty Family
« Reply #8 on: Friday 07 September 18 14:29 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Trying to trace my Hegarty relations who left Donegal for Glasgow. Peter Hegarty (1871-1946) married Mary McGowan (1875-1942) in Donegal in 1892. They were in Scotland by the 1901 census (living at 66 Stewart Street) and according to the 1911 census (living at 81 Centre Street) they had three children: Hugh (b. abt 1908), and twins Catherine and Mary (b. abt 1910). The death records for Peter and Mary snr show that they eventually moved to 52 Seaward Street, and their surname was spelled as Haggarty when in Glasgow.

I'm struggling to trace what happened to the three children. I've used ScotlandsPeople to try and find birth/marriage records but with no luck. Peter's death record states that the informant was his daughter, Mary Madden, who resided at 6 Plantation Street. But I can find no record of her marriage to a Mr. Madden.

Would appreciate any help in locating birth, marriage and maybe even death records for Hugh, Catherine and Mary Haggarty.

Many thanks in advance,

Rohan