Author Topic: Sarah Falconer / John Taylor M.A. rector Musselburgh Grammar School  (Read 5081 times)

Offline Lizw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Falconer / John Taylor M.A. rector Musselburgh Grammar School
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 12 August 18 21:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you again everyone, Capt. (Later Lt. Col. )John Taylor son of John Taylor M.A. is my direct descendant  my gt gt gt grandfather. There are certainly a lot of Falconars/Falconers out there and to confuse things further the family notes I have inherited say that Capt. John Taylor married a cousin Sarah Falconar Graham!
So yes there is very probably a link between them.
Stephens Brunton Thomson Taylor Graham Alves Ferrie Helmore Pember Reeves Mills Prestney Bundy Young Stewart Knipe Wright Libeau Coopey Blogg Keith

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 12 August 18 22:15 BST (UK) »
Hmmm. If Mary Falconer and Sarah Falconer were sisters, that would make Capt John Taylor and Sarah Falconer Graham second cousins. so that looks promising. You now have three children of Thomas Falconer and the former Miss Maitland - Alexander, Sarah and Mary.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Lizw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 13 August 18 01:16 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Forfarian
Yes that would definitely work but the proof is still elusive...
We're so close but it's still unproven by my reckoning.
I really do appreciate all your help thank you.
Best regards
Liz 
Stephens Brunton Thomson Taylor Graham Alves Ferrie Helmore Pember Reeves Mills Prestney Bundy Young Stewart Knipe Wright Libeau Coopey Blogg Keith

Offline Lizw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 28 August 18 10:36 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone

Just wanted to say that Sarah Taylor nee Falconar's inventory and testament provided some great insights including listing George Home Falconer as her nephew. Things have fallen into place!!

Thank you all for your help - I really appreciate everything you did.

best regards
Liz

Offline silaswall

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 07 October 18 17:30 BST (UK) »
This post is a few months old but hopefully someone will notice my post.

John and Sarah's son (William) Graham Taylor is buried at Carisbrooke Cemetery on the Isle of Wight. His regiment was at Parkhurst Barracks when he died following a riding accident. The Friends of Newport and Carisbrooke Cemeteries (www.foncc.org.uk) have two related projects. One being to tidy the cemetery and record the headstones. The second to create a database giving details of the people buried there including newspaper reports about inquests and funerals along with some basic biographical information. I am currently doing the research for Graham Taylor. There is so much information about him and his family I am going to have to do some serious editing! I already have details of his parents' marriage. Please could someone tell me where the details posted by tidyboooks comes from? You have confirmed my suspicions that John and Sarah were some how related. Thank you
Wills Isle of Wight
Webb Hampshire & South Berkshire
Edmund Webb 1828 - 1901

Offline Lizw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 07 October 18 23:53 BST (UK) »
Wonderful to hear from you thank you so much for making contact!
I had drawn a complete blank with William Graham Taylor.
He had come out to New Zealand as a 19 year old with his brother arriving on the Cornwall 23 Aug 1849, listed as an agriculturist. Eventually he and his brother Charles brought sections in Martins Bay but left (as did the other settlers). His brother settled in Fiji and it was presumed that Graham went there too but from there he "disappeared".
I notice that Graham Taylor buried on the Isle of Wight had been in Peshwar in 1851-52, Indian Campaign of 1857-58, etc. This had caused me some confusion as my William Graham Taylor was mentioned in electoral rolls etc as a freeholder in Otago around these times but I suppose he could have still owned land in Otago but been elsewhere.
However he does appear in Rev Burns visitation book as William Taylor from 1849-1855 in Otago so I'm a little concerned that these dates overlap with the times he was supposed to be in India

Could I ask if you have proof that this Graham Taylor is he son of Lt Col William Taylor and Sarah nee Graham?

Thank you so much again for getting in contact.

Liz

Offline silaswall

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 08 October 18 09:37 BST (UK) »
On the newspaper archives there are various reports of Graham Taylor's death in 1875. Most of these are for April. There is a report in the Fife Herald for 23/12/1875. This refers to the death describing him as the third son of the late Lt Col John Taylor HEIC Bengal. I cannot see all of it as my subscription does not cover it. It does go on to say resident at St Andrews, Winchester and Canterbury.

I do have some concerns as the service record for Graham Taylor states that he was born in Berbice (Guiana) 2 Aug 1830. His baptism record mentioning John and Sarah says Meerut Nov 1830. On Family Search someone has connected Graham Taylor's marriage to another officer. On the Army's marriage record it does say 53rd Regiment. So this is "my" man. I could take the easy option and produce a report showing Graham Taylor's military achievements. It would be long just with this as he joined the army in  1848 and stayed until 1875. A large part of this time he was on active service. He went to Canada as well. I wonder if anyone has a copy of the actual marriage licence? That would state the name of the groom's father. I have not been able to find a newspaper announcement for the wedding which might have helped.

Thank you for replying. As I said I do have some doubts about Major Graham Taylor's parents. When I found the New Zealand connection to his mother I did wonder.
Wills Isle of Wight
Edmund Webb 1828 - 1901

Offline silaswall

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 08 October 18 09:49 BST (UK) »
Sorry, me again. Did your William Graham Taylor by any chance die in NZ at the end of 1875? If so,
the extra newspaper article could refer to that. I will send you a PM with the link.

Wills Isle of Wight
Edmund Webb 1828 - 1901

Offline Lizw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 08 October 18 11:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the link unfortunately I can only see as much as you can.
I've searched for a death in NZ for a William Graham Taylor and there is not one around that time in BMDs or in newspapers of the time.
Interesting the possible African connection because his older adopted brother (John Taylor) is mentioned in a diary travelling from Africa to India in 1827 so the family did travel (a lot!).
I cannot find evidence of William Graham Taylor in Fiji either. The 2 bothers who ended up there were Charles Metcalfe and Archibald Taylor.
His older brothers were in the army in India Alexander who died the following year 23 Sept 1876
and John in HEICS in India died after 1870
IF this is our William Graham Taylor it would explain a great deal - he and his brother were not successful in their land purchases and as discussed 2 of the brothers and a brother in law went to Fiji .
You mention his marriage - I don't have any record of a marriage could you give me the details and I can try to investigate further too?

many thanks again
Liz