Author Topic: Hunting the correct Thomas Ross of Dumfries  (Read 2410 times)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hunting the correct Thomas Ross of Dumfries
« on: Sunday 12 August 18 15:11 BST (UK) »
I've encountered a bit of confusion over the years because of a chap called Thomas Ross. I have proved that he was in fact married to Janet McLaughlan ( spellings vary) on 27th March 1846,  and born Dumfries, possibly Applegarth, at some period between 1813 and 1820. He did not marry Jane Affleck!
For some time someone with another Thomas Ross with wife Jane had abducted mine.with his family. This "Other Ross" was born between 1813 and 1820, I think, but in Cheshire, England.
I untangled the two families myself, that didn't please the "someone", who was desperate to get Scottish ancestry - the Cheshire one was concerned with bookbinding, started off in 1841 census in Stockport, and a couple of decades later moved to Burnley in Lancashire. Clear enough, I thought.
"Mine" started off ( I think) in Dumfries area, although I've not yet identified him in 1841, or managed to find which of the many Thomas Ross births/baptisms in the general area may be him) and is an Innkeeper in Dumfries until 1870s, and I believe he died in the 1870s. His daughter, Mary was safely married to Robinson Strong, and in Whitehaven area by 1881, and his widow was still in Dumfries at that census
Given the different birth dates he gave, what would be the most sensible and economic way to narrow down the candidates for his birth and parentage?
(I've given deatils of the "Wrong Rosses" because so often when I'm searching online this lot come up, all tangled with mine)
Advice and / or help sought, please.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline lanercost

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Hunting the correct Thomas Ross of Dumfries
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 August 18 15:30 BST (UK) »
Thomas Ross, Inn-keeper, married to Janet Mclauchlan, died 17 December 1872 at 7 pm, of 28 Bridge Street, Dumfries, 57 years old, parents William Ross and Janet Ross (maiden name Martin) both deceased, died of cancer of the tongue, informant was ___ Cartney, nephew in law.

Info from death cert at ScotlandsPeople. Gotta love Scottish ancestry!

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 August 18 18:12 BST (UK) »
Oooh, thank you lanercost, that information fits completely, job, address and all, gives me a lot better signpost to try and trace Thomas' line further. I'll follow that up a.s.a.p. I'm guessing that'll give me a closer date for his birth - a son-in-law should have been close on accuracy.
You're right, Scottish ancestry - unless you're daft enough to have a really common name and surname, like poor Thomas, Scottish ancestry, I've found with others, on the other side of my ancestry, is usually better documented than English or Welsh! - and don't get me started on Irish ancestors!
Thank you again, I'm really grateful.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 August 18 12:03 BST (UK) »
Could Janet Martin have been William's second wife? I'm finding it difficult to sort out dates. I'm pretty sure "my" Thomas Ross had a sister or sister in law Jane (Ross), as well as a wife Jane.

Offline lanercost

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 09:54 BST (UK) »
Could Janet Martin have been William's second wife? I'm finding it difficult to sort out dates. I'm pretty sure "my" Thomas Ross had a sister or sister in law Jane (Ross), as well as a wife Jane.

I've had a search but I can't find anything. What info do you have for believing he has a sister Jane? If you have an approx death date/district or married name for her I could hopefully find her death with the same valuable information.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 16:30 BST (UK) »
It's just that on one census (1871) in the "Ancestry" transcription, he seems to have his wife, Jane, under her name of Jane McLauchlan, and another, a Jane Ross of the same age, with him at the same address. I was told she was sister or sister in law, and certainly the name "Jane" was used again in later generations several times. But I've nothing further than that.
Thanks, lanercost, it's not really worth you bothering, or, I understand, the expense to you. Many thanks for your efforts, I really appreciate it. Just trying to tie up tangled loose ends, really.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 21:20 BST (UK) »
Hi there  :)

RE Thomas, you have his marriage/banns to Janet McLaughlan in 1846. Just adding this for background to your research.

Some children for them show as:

William b. 18 July 1846
Joseph b. 25 Sept 1848
Thomas b. 20 April 1850
Mary b. 20 November 1851

1851 census has the family as:

Thomas Ross 34 innkeeper b. Dumfries
Janet Ross 33 b. Irongray Kirkcudbright
William Ross 4
Joseph Ross 2
Jean Harries 28 servant

Address: 7 Bridge Street, Dumfries

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 21:27 BST (UK) »
Thomas may have had a sister Jane, but don't think it is because she shows on the 1871 census.

This is the ancestry transcript you mention:

Thomas Ross 57
Janes McLauchlen 51 Innkeepers Wife b. Ivingorg, Kirkcudbrightshire
Jane Ross 51 Innkeepers Wife b. Ivingorg, Kirkcudbrightshire (edit to show Janet Ross)
Mary Ross 19
Jessie Ross 17
James Mclauchlan 90 father in law b. Irongray, Kirkcudbrightshire

Address: 28 Bridge Street Dumfries

I am sure that you will find that on the original image they are one and the same. Scottish women never loose their maiden name. Not unusual to find them written up on censuses (and other documents) as Janet McLaughlan or Ross.

Thomas is also consistent with his birth place of Dumfries.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lanercost

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 10:54 BST (UK) »
I am sure that you will find that on the original image they are one and the same. Scottish women never loose their maiden name. Not unusual to find them written up on censuses (and other documents) as Janet McLaughlan or Ross.

Thanks for the info and you're 100% correct, the image says "Janet McLaughlan or Ross"

It's just that on one census (1871) in the "Ancestry" transcription, he seems to have his wife, Jane, under her name of Jane McLauchlan, and another, a Jane Ross of the same age, with him at the same address. I was told she was sister or sister in law, and certainly the name "Jane" was used again in later generations several times. But I've nothing further than that.
Thanks, lanercost, it's not really worth you bothering, or, I understand, the expense to you. Many thanks for your efforts, I really appreciate it. Just trying to tie up tangled loose ends, really.

The Ancestry transcription seems very confusing as the name in that census is actually written "Janet McLaughlan or Ross" so no chance of this one being a sister. With his parent's names we should be able to find his baptism easily and then other siblings but no such luck, I couldn't find a baptism when searching. I'm happy to help, just a bit slow at the moment. I'll continue to brainstorm.