Author Topic: Annie Wright born Annie Smith 1871 Claypole near Newark (Lincs/Notts)  (Read 3083 times)

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Annie Wright born Annie Smith 1871 Claypole near Newark (Lincs/Notts)
« Reply #27 on: Monday 13 August 18 17:36 BST (UK) »

Christening for Annie Smith illegitimate child at Claypole on 5 Dec 1871
mother Charlotte abode was Newark Union Workhouse, found on the freereg site

GRO index Dec 1871 Newark 7b pg 337.

Good find nottsgirl and also on the same day bp 05 Dec 1871

Anne Smith illegitimate dau of Emily Smith Newark Union Workhouse

(Emily could be dau of Francis & Ann Smith see 1861 census)
1853 bp Emily dau of Francis & Ann on FreeReg and of course she had a sister
1851 bp Charlotte dau of Francis & Ann  "

jlewis57 - have you looked for or ruled out this Emily with a daughter Anne bn c1871?

As a newcomer to Rootschat I have been impressed and delighted in how helpful people are. Thank you.

Most of the findings have given me confidence in my own research skills as most info has duplicated my own research and it seemed like I had come to a standstill with the two Newark and the E.Retford Annies who all seem to be illegitimate.

Following other people's train of thought has however opened up ideas for other pathways that could be investigated e.g. looking at possible family links in a broader way, trying to find out if any of the families we are focusing on are related....  I have not really travelled back along the Smith line in the Newark area as there seemed to be such a lot of them!

You are welcome  :)
If at any time you need further assistance please come back and do not hesitate to ask

Here's the link for FreeReg in case you don't have it https://www.freereg.org.uk/

You will also find on FreeReg the following

1849 bp Charlotte Smith dau Sarah Smith –(Sarah dau of William & Mary see 1851 census)
1876 bp of Betsey dau of Charlotte Smith
1878 bp of Thomas son of Charlotte Smith
1882 bp of Kate dau of Charlotte Smith
1887 bp of John son of Charlotte Smith
1899 marriage of Betsy Smith to Thomas Falconbridge (unfortunately no father's or witnesses
        named)
1901 bp of Charlotte's grandson Ernest Smith son of Kate Smith (see 1901 census)

Good luck with your continued research

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nottsgirl1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 13 August 18 20:01 BST (UK) »

b]05 Dec 1871[/b]

Anne Smith illegitimate dau of Emily Smith Newark Union Workhouse

Thank you Ladyhawk.

Yes I saw the one with an Emily Smith on familysearch but don't you think it odd that there is two christening on same day and same abode?  Think some one needs to look on the actual parish records.
Branfoot of Leeds; Nall of Nottingham; Wallis of Stapleford Nottinghamshire; Challand of  East Bridgford Notinghamshire: Hall of Fransfield Nottinghamshire;
Morral of Stanton By Dale, Derbyshire;

Offline jlewis57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 13 August 18 21:03 BST (UK) »
I have looked at Emily briefly in the past but maybe need to take another look at her. I have concentrated on Charlotte more because of the links that came up in the Marnham area where my great grandfather was working.

Offline nottsgirl1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 07:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I've had a look at the actual parish records on the Lincs to the past web site and it has both christenings for Annie Smith daughter of Charlotte and one for daughter of Emily.  Maybe Emily and Charlotte were sister's or cousins. 

It may be why the GRO was unable to send you the birth certificate because there was 2 Annie's born and didn't know which one was the right one for you.
Branfoot of Leeds; Nall of Nottingham; Wallis of Stapleford Nottinghamshire; Challand of  East Bridgford Notinghamshire: Hall of Fransfield Nottinghamshire;
Morral of Stanton By Dale, Derbyshire;

Offline jlewis57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 08:48 BST (UK) »
That’s right. I got this far and then wasn’t sure what to do next. The GRO didn’t have an Annie Smith with 19 November 1871 as a dob (I realise this may not necessarily be exact).
The Smith family I had originally thought were her parents(Francis and Ann in Newark) have both Charlotte and Emily for daughters who would be old enough to be mothers. My feelings were that perhaps the Marnham Smiths were relations.

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 12:50 BST (UK) »
Balderton, St Giles baptisms
bap.17 Sep 1876 born 8 Feb 1875 Betsey dau of Charlotte Smith labourer abode Balderton
bap. 15 Sep 1878 born 12 Aug 1877 Thomas son of Charlotte Smith servant abode Balderton

25 May 1849 Charlotte dau  Sarah Smith single woman abode Balderton
9 Jan 1848 George ( as above)
31 Jan 1844 Robert ( ditto)
14 Nov 1852 John ( ditto)
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 13:21 BST (UK) »

Balderton, St Giles baptisms
bap.17 Sep 1876 born 8 Feb 1875 Betsey dau of Charlotte Smith labourer abode Balderton
bap. 15 Sep 1878 born 12 Aug 1877 Thomas son of Charlotte Smith servant abode Balderton

25 May 1849 Charlotte dau  Sarah Smith single woman abode Balderton
9 Jan 1848 George ( as above)
31 Jan 1844 Robert ( ditto)
14 Nov 1852 John ( ditto)

some of the detail above I posted from FreeReg and gave the link for OP to check after nottsgirl posted these details
Annie Smith illegitimate child at Claypole on 5 Dec 1871
mother Charlotte abode was Newark Union Workhouse, found on the freereg site GRO index Dec 1871 Newark 7b pg 337.

Larkspur what are your thoughts on this being the same Charlotte, Betsy & Thomas Smith on  1881c (Posted previously reply 3) 

RG11; Piece: 3304; Folio: 56; Page: 1 - Village Street
Charlotte Smith   31 Balderton, Nottinghamshire charwoman
Annie Smith    10      Balderton, Nottinghamshire
Betsey Smith   6      Balderton, Nottinghamshire
Thomas Smith   3    Marnham, Nottinghamshire

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 14:04 BST (UK) »
How likely do you think it would be for two sisters baptizing their children on exactly the same date and both name their daughters Annie & Anne

I've had a look at the actual parish records on the Lincs to the past web site and it has both christenings for Annie Smith daughter of Charlotte and one for daughter of Emily

Maybe Emily and Charlotte were sister's or cousins. 

It may be why the GRO was unable to send you the birth certificate because there was 2 Annie's born and didn't know which one was the right one for you.

You mentioned previously you thought that Annie Smith age 9 Claypole on 1881 census (with parents Francis & Ann) perhaps should have been noted as their Granddaughter

Could it be that this Annie Smith on 1881c is the daughter of Emily Smith and it’s got confusing as she has a sister named Charlotte bn c1851

Looked at all Francis & Ann's  children from 1851 – 1881 census and their birth entries on GRO indexes confirm that their mmn ALDRIDGE there is NO entry on GRO indexes for an Anne/Annie Smith 1871/72 with mother’s maiden name Aldridge that I can spot, so your theory of her being a grandaughter of Francis & Ann looks feasible

Their daughter Charlotte Smith appears to have married in Sheffield 1872 to a Joseph Corah (as previously mentioned m/c would confirm father's name)
and she can be found with her husband on 1881 census living next door Francis & Ann Smith (most likely her parents) and of course Annie Smith age 9 Claypole

Charlotte & Jospeh Corah had one son Thomas

CORAH, THOMAS    mmn SMITH     
1885  S Quarter in NEWARK  Volume 07B  Page 427   
Thomas Corah died age 4 Dec 1889 Newark

and it looks as if his mother Charlotte possibly died during or soon after childbirth

Charlotte Corah Age at Death: 34
Jul-Aug-Sep 1885 Newark Volume: 7b Page:   214

Haven't done an extensive search for Francis & Ann's dau Emily
This might be her on 1871 census

RG10; Piece: 3542; Folio: 57; Page: 24
Robert B Tresham   39
Sara Tresham   29
Percy Robt Tresham   5
Florence Tresham   3
Elizabeth Mary Tresham   2
Emily Smith 18 Newark servant
Mary Gibson   50

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 14:20 BST (UK) »
One thing I did forgot to add is that Emily Smith had a sister Lizzie age 7 she's on 1871 census with parents Francis & Ann, perhaps she was known to the family as Betsy Smith

SMITH, ELIZABETH    mmn   ALDRIDGE     
1864  J Quarter in NEWARK  Volume 07B  Page 310

She appears to have married in 1895 Newark to Frederick Stamper and is on 1901 census as Elizabeth with husband Frederick, son Arthur & father Frank (Frank is a common diminutive for Francis)

RG13; Piece: 3198; Folio: 141; Page: 7
Frederick Stamper   34
Elizabeth Stamper   38
Arthur Stamper   5
Frank Smith   74