Author Topic: Help Needed To Understand 'Marriage Locator' Website  (Read 5755 times)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help Needed To Understand 'Marriage Locator' Website
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 08:31 BST (UK) »

If you can get hold of a copy, Michael Whitfield Foster's Comedy of Errors, it will prove most enlightening as to how the indexes were historically compiled and the errors and omissions caused as a result of late submissions by the Anglican clergy and the problems of reading their handwriting added to a very manual and labour-intensive system of indexing in pre-computer days.

See http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/mikefost/

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 08:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks Slow Gin for posting the links which look really interesting and also thanks  dawnsh for all the information which is very helpful for my understanding concerning this topic.

Even though the website is still very much a work in progress I am very pleased with the success I have had with it so far in being able to pin point several Church marriages which I am after in the Newcastle registration district.  I also found one which only pinpoints a register office which at least has saved me some time in looking for it on microfilm.

This is a strange one though .. don't quite know what to make of it.  This relates to an ancestor called Mary Ann Conroy who married a Thomas Nichol in 1897 September quarter 10b page 601 Morpeth.  The website gives a message saying that this entry is between entries for Bellingham and Alnwick but these are separate registration districts in themselves.  I would have thought this record would have appeared between Sub-district areas of Morpeth. ???

This side of my family was Roman Catholic but for some reason sometimes also dabbled with C of E Churches.  When Mary Ann was widowed she married again to a Cuthbert Saint.  I do know that this second marriage was at a registry office.

It is fascinating to know how these indexes can be worked out even though it does seem a bit of a complicated process.

I do wonder how Brummygirl got on too.  Good on her for doing all that work which will no doubt be of benefit now and in the future to countless people. :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 08:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks for posting this link Stan.  I will read this later today - just on way home from work so will looking forward to reading this later on. :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 11:21 BST (UK) »

This is a strange one though .. don't quite know what to make of it.  This relates to an ancestor called Mary Ann Conroy who married a Thomas Nichol in 1897 September quarter 10b page 601 Morpeth.  The website gives a message saying that this entry is between entries for Bellingham and Alnwick but these are separate registration districts in themselves.  I would have thought this record would have appeared between Sub-district areas of Morpeth. ???

This side of my family was Roman Catholic but for some reason sometimes also dabbled with C of E Churches.  When Mary Ann was widowed she married again to a Cuthbert Saint.  I do know that this second marriage was at a registry office.

freebmd also has a lot of information behind the scenes

You can look at their page ranges for the year and quarter

https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/district-page-map.pl?file=1897M1.csv%201897M2.csv%201897M3.csv%201897M4.csv

Sep    10b    547-605    Morpeth    
Sep    10b    607-634    Alnwick    

The entry you are looking for is 601 which is at the top end of the Morpeth range suggesting it was most probably a register office marriage (or RC registrar attended) which is why the marriage locator gives you the error message, they just don't have specific data to give you an exact place.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 21:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you for this dawnsh.  This is something new to me.  How would I get to such behind the scenes information from the home page on freebmd?

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 21:22 BST (UK) »
No it is alright, I have found out to do this myself.  You learn something new on here every day.  ;D Thanks again dawnsh.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 29 December 18 10:28 GMT (UK) »
This is an excellent thread

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 30 December 18 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Have you been having some success with this website too majm?   :)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 30 December 18 14:50 GMT (UK) »
I tink JM was locating the thread to help me on another thread  :)

Add - this one:

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=805671.0
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***