Author Topic: George Graham b. 1760 d. 1813  (Read 415 times)

Offline Kevin Carruthers

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Graham b. 1760 d. 1813
« on: Monday 13 August 18 13:47 BST (UK) »
I would like to find the inquest report on my relatives death from accidently drowning in the River Lyne in Cumberland in 1813. He was 53 yrs old and fell into th3e river near home at Moorhouses, Kirklinton. Can anyone point me in the right direction to find information?

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
Re: George Graham b. 1760 d. 1813
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 August 18 15:31 BST (UK) »
I can see his will is recorded,George Graham,Yeoman of Moorhouses,Kirklinton Cumberland
PROB/1813/W121
 in the Cumbria ARCHIVES, CASCAT, records database
perhaps they may be able to help you with this request
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 August 18 16:07 BST (UK) »
there does appear to be a lot of inquest reports for the years you are looking at in Whitehaven and Carlisle,but I did not spot your name in the catologues give them a buzz,incidently how do you know he did indeed drown
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Kevin Carruthers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 August 18 18:37 BST (UK) »
Carlisle Journal 4 Apr 1813.
On Sunday morning the body of Mr George Graham, farmer at Westlinton was found drowned in the river Line. It appears that the deceased, on the preceeding morning set out to go to his brother's house at some little distance; the footpath to which led close by the side of the river. It is therefore conjectured that the deceased, who was subject to fits, had been overcome by one and had fallen into the water.
Coroners verdict: accidental death.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 August 18 19:27 BST (UK) »
Kevin -- not all inquest reports have been retained. Only those of particular interest or significance.

Often you will find the expense claims of coroners conducting an inquest in the local archives, but unless there was anything significant - the inquest papers probably haven't survived and you will have to rely on the information in the newspaper.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Kevin Carruthers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 August 18 20:43 BST (UK) »
Hi. Thanks for the help and guidance everyone.