Author Topic: My Wooldridge brick wall  (Read 1806 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: My Wooldridge brick wall
« Reply #9 on: Monday 13 August 18 15:22 BST (UK) »

From DNA testing (Autosomnal and Y-DNA) I know that my only male line link is John Wooldridge b1769 in Ashurst in Sussex who emigrated to Pennsylvania USA in 1820, and I am in contact with this side of my distant family.

Do you mean that your distant cousin in USA who you matched with on DNA  testing, has traced his family tree back to this John from Ashurst? How do you know that your two lines join at this point? Could your line and your cousin's link later and your great grandfather might be from America?

If he worked in Tallinn, Russian speaking is likely even if he wasn't born there.   
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 13 August 18 15:49 BST (UK) »
John Wooldridge of Ashurst was bapt on 19 Feb 1769 s/o John and Elizabeth. He doesn't seem to have any brothers, just three sisters - Ann, Sarah and Elizabeth. So that looks like dead end as far as Y chromosome carrying on.

There was another Wooldridge family in Ashurst at the same time - parents Abijah and Sarah. They had children John, Thomas and Sarah. But John and Thomas died young, both burial records state they were infants, so no male descendants there
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 13 August 18 15:54 BST (UK) »
Abijah and Sarah nee Laker had an earlier child William bapt at Wiston (place they were married and where Sarah may have come from.
If Abijah and John senior were brothers that could provide a link as long as William lived long enough to marry and have male children

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 13 August 18 15:57 BST (UK) »
There's a marriage between a John Wooldridge and an Elizabeth Worley at Findon on 25 Jan 1761, so a bit of a gap before Ann's birth - if that's the right marriage - room for another one

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 13 August 18 16:18 BST (UK) »
Abijah and Sarah nee Laker had an earlier child William bapt at Wiston (place they were married and where Sarah may have come from.
If Abijah and John senior were brothers that could provide a link as long as William lived long enough to marry and have male children

Abijah and Sarah had an earlier Sarah at Wiston, she was buried on 08 Apr 1750, so must have been first child born shortly after they married

Offline Jeffo W

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 13 August 18 16:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Lizzie,

Yes my Y-DNA match in the US can trace their whole lineage back to John of Ashurst and Elizabeth.

Your conclusions on the marriage concur with my findings for the date range that it was quite probably to

Elizabeth Worlley 25/01/1761 at Findon in Sussex, and the geographical closeness to Steyning and Ashurst makes it a strong possibility.

Offline Jeffo W

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 13 August 18 21:31 BST (UK) »

Well if this the William who dies at Greenwich in 11/12/1832 it looks like a line of enquiry for me to pursue further

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 08:05 BST (UK) »
May not be connected but there is a record of an Abijah Woollveridge (sic) born 9 Nov 1723 in the Quaker records. Meeting place Hampshire. Parents William and Ann. Just a transcription on FindMyPast.

added, sorry just realised there is an image. It says they were of Farnborough. Then there is the name of the midwife Mary Gilles and several female witnesses, Hester Carter, Sarah Fuller, Mary Fuller, Joanna Lunn, Sarah Lashford, Eliz Cobbet. One or more  may be related to William or Ann

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 09:02 BST (UK) »
More Quaker birth record;
Benjamin Wooldridge son of William Wooldridge and Ann his wife of Farnbrow (sic) in Surrey twenty second of ye eleventh month 1714, then signature of official no names of midwife / witnesses. This was recorded at Guildford, quarterly meeting of Sussex and Surrey.

Joseph Woolveridg s/o William and Ann of Farmborow born 6th day of the 10th month 1716 (Dorset / Hampshire meeting

Benjamina daughter of William and Ann Woolveridge of Farnborrow born there 10th: 11th month 1719 witness the mark of Barbara Grimm(?) midwife, Mary Castford (?), Hester Barler's marke.

Daruis son of William and Ann Woolveridge of Farnborrow born there on 21st of 6th month 1722 witnesses Mary Giles midwife, Mary Elcock, Mary Laithford, Eliz Cobbet, Jane Greenaway, Alice Chitty. Hants / Dorset meeting again