Author Topic: International Left Handers Day!  (Read 4902 times)

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: International Left Handers Day!
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 15:49 BST (UK) »
Another left hander here!
Well, sort of.  I write with my left hand, but do just about everything else with my right. A few things I can do with either.

My son is strongly left handed, does everythnig with left, and left footed too. Doesnt change cutlery around though.  Exactly the same as my husband.

My daughter is right handed, does absolutely everything right handed - except she is the only one in the family who does change her cutlery around!!!

I have always thought there is far too much made of whether someone is right or left handed. After all, people are (more or less!) symmetrical to look at, its not as if hands are positioned centrally and so using one strangely out to the side on the left would be "awkward". It is no more or less awkward than using one positoned out to the right, for most things.

Just a few things specifically designed for right handers may be awkward. I remember when my son was quite a small baby (I know people say that no preference is shown for one hand or the other till later on, but I disagree) he had a toy when you had to press down a lever and a door opened and an animal popped out, only it was designed with the door to the left of the lever, so when he did it, always using his left hand, the door would never open properly as his hand was in the way when holding the lever! I always intended to write to Fisher Price, but never got round it!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-1987-FISHER-PRICE-FARM-BARN-ANIMAL-SOUND-ACTIVITY-CENTRE-TOY-1005-/132729177158
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 19:07 BST (UK) »
   I am right handed, but left eyed, also hold a phone in the left hand, which is useful if you write with the other one! My mother told me that when she was in the Waaf, she had a tendency, when marching, to lead off with the wrong foot. Like a lot of things in human behaviour, it seems to be a continuum, from very right handed to very left, with all sorts of oddities in between.
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Online Alan b

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 16 August 18 20:41 BST (UK) »
I am right handed but hold a knife and fork as a leftie and always have done ever since my parents first put them into my hands. I just can't use them as a right hander as it doesn't feel right.
Bloomfield, Knights, Whitmore, Warner (Suffolk)
Hamlin (London, Yorkshire, Scotland, Suffolk)
Mattocks, Newick, Nutter, (Kent)
Mattocks (Staffs)

Offline Guyana

• RootsChat Member
  • How far back do you want to go?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 17 August 18 17:40 BST (UK) »
I am right handed but hold a knife and fork as a leftie and always have done ever since my parents first put them into my hands. I just can't use them as a right hander as it doesn't feel right.
Our No.1 grandson is naturally right-handed, but eats left-handed, whereas his cousin, (eight months younger), is the exact opposite.
CORDEN - N.Staffs/N.Warwicks
MORGAN - Tamworth/Notts
HIGGS - N. Warwicks
DEEMING - N.Warwicks
LEWIS - N.Warwicks

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 17 August 18 22:32 BST (UK) »
I write with my right hand generally, but had to do the 11 plus writing with my left hand because I'd broken my right arm.  That showed that I could actually do most things with my left and I still - at an advanced age - try to swap hands about whenever possible.

My daughter is left-handed, my brother is left-handed, and my uncle (my mother's brother) was also left-handed, as was my father-in-law.  My father (who was not left-handed) came from Middlesbrough and referred to left-handers as cuddy wifters.  Never heard that expression before or since.
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 17 August 18 22:43 BST (UK) »
Add me to the list of lefties.

sami
England:  Archer, Bailey, Bates, Blower, Bosworth, Court, Hicklin, Orton, Palmer, Robbins, Sedgwick, Smith, Stevenson, Stone, Varnam, Wakelin, Walker
Canada:  Archer, Walker, Spencer, Shepherd
Australia:  Taplin
South Africa:  Risley

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 17 August 18 23:12 BST (UK) »
I write with my right hand generally, but had to do the 11 plus writing with my left hand because I'd broken my right arm.  That showed that I could actually do most things with my left and I still - at an advanced age - try to swap hands about whenever possible.

My daughter is left-handed, my brother is left-handed, and my uncle (my mother's brother) was also left-handed, as was my father-in-law.  My father (who was not left-handed) came from Middlesbrough and referred to left-handers as cuddy wifters.  Never heard that expression before or since.

That's a new expression GS...never heard that one before  ;D

We have lived in four houses and each one we bought immediately felt right from walking into
It...I realised why some years later, that the lounge was situated left as you entered the front of the property in each one. Not sure if this is just coincidence, but as both myself and my Husband are both lefties it felt right for both of us.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 18 August 18 00:21 BST (UK) »
I just googled cutty wifters!  Have a go, there's lots came up!  😜😜👍
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline Winslass

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 18 August 18 00:50 BST (UK) »

I'm also caggy handed - In the 1950s my needlework teacher insisted that when I turned up a hem by hand, I had to turn the work upside down, so that the stitches looked the same as the rest of the girls in the class (they were all right-handed).

Winslass