Author Topic: A carpenter by any other name?  (Read 1402 times)

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
Re: A carpenter by any other name?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 15:46 BST (UK) »
Were there cars to pint in 1863 ??? ??? ???

Malky

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 17:13 BST (UK) »
I can't add any other suggestions to the carpentry list and I haven't seen your other postings but I note London is mentioned.  If he was a ship's carpenter he could very well be at sea on long haul journeys maintaining the wooden sailing ship and calling in at any port in a storm.

I see there's mention of 1863 as a son's marriage date. America's five year civil war lasted from 1861 to 1865 and during that time North America successfully defended thousands of miles of coastal waters, thus blockaded the southern ports against supplies brought by British sailing ships.  As described here:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_blockade

Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Jill Eaton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 19:17 BST (UK) »
I can't add any other suggestions to the carpentry list and I haven't seen your other postings but I note London is mentioned.  If he was a ship's carpenter he could very well be at sea on long haul journeys maintaining the wooden sailing ship and calling in at any port in a storm.

I see there's mention of 1863 as a son's marriage date. America's five year civil war lasted from 1861 to 1865 and during that time North America successfully defended thousands of miles of coastal waters, thus blockaded the southern ports against supplies brought by British sailing ships.  As described here:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_blockade

Must admit the possibility of James being a carpenter on board ship had not occurred to me.
As already mentioned I know absolutely nothing about him and there seemed to be little in the way of a nautical connection for any of my immediate family.

His twin granddaughters - my gt grandmother and gt aunt were born, raised and both married in London.

My gt grandmother married a labourer........my gt aunt however, married a sailor of Irish descent born in Gosport. So now I'm wondering whether there may have been some family connection to seafaring afterall!!
Davis - Berkshire & London
Sutcliffe - Yorkshire & London
Harrington - Ireland and London
Fuller - Cambridgeshire and Essex
Waldron/Waldren - Devon & London
Frisby and Lee - Leicestershire
Hollingsworth - Essex
Williams - Ireland? and London
Ellis, Reed & Temple - London
Lane - ?
Surplice/Surplus - Cambridgeshire
Elwood - Cambridgeshire

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 00:13 BST (UK) »
I've surfed to see whether there was a forced naval conscription, or a general call for carpenters, etc., to join the merchant navy but couldn't find anything.

However, I did find a newspaper article dated 2010 online that surprised me no end. Apparently thousands of ordinary British men sailed to the Americas to fight in their civil war. The reason being that people in the weaving and other trades were put out of work due to the unrest.  Some joined the South but other's joined the Northern army.   It all sounds very gory

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1330735/Thousands-British-volunteers-gave-lives-Americas-civil-war.html
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Jill Eaton

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 12:31 BST (UK) »
I've surfed to see whether there was a forced naval conscription, or a general call for carpenters, etc., to join the merchant navy but couldn't find anything.

However, I did find a newspaper article dated 2010 online that surprised me no end. Apparently thousands of ordinary British men sailed to the Americas to fight in their civil war. The reason being that people in the weaving and other trades were put out of work due to the unrest.  Some joined the South but other's joined the Northern army.   It all sounds very gory

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1330735/Thousands-British-volunteers-gave-lives-Americas-civil-war.html

That was fascinating Rena. So much history we don't know!
Hollingsworth - Essex
Lane - ?
Elwood - Cambridgeshire

Offline Jill Eaton

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 12:40 BST (UK) »
As a result of the very helpful responses I got to my original question I found this...

1851 census
James Williams aged 46 (born 1805) (his son John was born in 1831 so the 1805 date is a perfectly reasonable possibility)
Born Southampton, Hampshire,
Married
A visitor
Occupation - Carpenter Journeyman

May be completely incidental and lead no where but interesting nonetheless.

HO107, Piece 1480, Folio 513, Page 6
Hollingsworth - Essex
Lane - ?
Elwood - Cambridgeshire

Offline Andy_T

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 15 February 19 03:17 GMT (UK) »
To Jill Eaton:
in case he was still in Westminster, London and not at sea, did you try any of the trade directories for the years he was probably working?
Popular directories were Kelly's and Wrights and I think reference libraries have these.
Also you can sometimes find pdf downloads online. I have seen trades directories in Loughbourgh University Library online also.

Regarding other names and definitions for a carpenter I think a carpenter is closer to a cabinet maker and a joiner is more likely to make wooden frames and roof timbers for houses and buildings.
Another name not suggested so far is Wheelwright and like a Cooper it's rather specialized obviously making carriage wheels and spinning wheels.

Andy_T   
Thurman, Coleman, Beck, Shaw

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 15 February 19 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Westminster, western part of London has always been the home of peers, bishops and toffs. We can rule out having anything to do with being a ship's carpenter who would probably reside in the eastern part of London.  Thus your ancestor must have worked on furniture and fixtures and fittings like this in the City of Westminster:-

"There is a large old house at the end of Cowley Street, having a fine double staircase; indeed, there are fine staircases, and other marks of aristocratic occupation, in many of the houses round about this spot."

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/old-new-london/vol4/pp1-13

Moving on to whether there is a connection between carpentry in London and foreign lands - I spotted this about one of the most famous antique furniture makers of London - this being "Gillows furniture":-

"1814-1897
...  the company expanded from furniture design and bespoke manufacture to being an interior design company that would manufacture furniture and supply other manufacturers products. They were the largest company of its type outside London; where they maintained showrooms and workshops. They had a solid reputation for quality.

The company won commissions to furnish and decorate public buildings in Australia, South Africa, India, Russia, Germany, France and the United States. "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gillows_of_Lancaster_and_London

After quickly scanning through that webpage it seems the company could have employed apprentices and craftsmen from several parts of the UK, thus an open mind when looking for what I consider to be mainly a Welsh surname of Williams (not Williamson as found in the rest of the UK).  It's a shortish journey from Wales eastward - or if Williamson family shortened their surname to Williams, they could have travelled down from Lancashire to Westminster, London.
Presumably most documentation would have been destroyed in the London blitz of WWII. 

Best Wishes,
Rena