Author Topic: Deportation from Scotland  (Read 5640 times)

Offline Flipside

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Deportation from Scotland
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 00:20 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Scoop

I have four alias so far

Jozas Linka
Jouzas Lennox
Joseph Lincas
Jauozas Linka

Unsure why he would choose so many different names
Flip

Offline Flipside

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 01:41 BST (UK) »
This is uncanny

Isobelw

I just looked at the death certificate Stephanie Starieukie and her death was registered by her Son in law  Peter (last name i cant make out i suspect McGuire) in 1961.  He was living at 23 Grammar School Square Hamilton.

My mother and her siblings were born between 1944 and 1958 and lived at 19 Grammar School Square Hamilton.

Flip

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 05:09 BST (UK) »
Says here he was a Shoe repairer from Russia in 1947

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/38019/page/3355/data.pdf

Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 08:51 BST (UK) »
The lady he married in Leith in 1926 was called Mary Ann Barclay. Looks like he remarried her in 1972 in Linlithgow. Marriage registered under the names of Jozef Linko/Robert Hunter. Sadly Jozef Linko seems to have died in 1973 in Leith age 82. Mary Ann Barclay or Hunter died in Newington, Edinburgh in 1979.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 09:04 BST (UK) »
Described as a Russian, still think he was a Lithuanian. A big influx into the Central Scotland coalfield, many called back to fight for the Tsar, many changed their names. Polish influx post WW2 but the Lithuanians were often called Poles! Russian emigrants to Glasgow were mainly Jewish.

Skoosh.

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 09:14 BST (UK) »
Might be worth checking the 1911 census entry to see if it is more precise about his place of origin.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 09:33 BST (UK) »
I read his name in the RCEs as Jozas, not Joyas, which matches his name as in the newspaper extract.

I also agree that he is probably Lithuanian. Many male given names in Lithuania end in '-as' and Juozas is the standard Lithuanian equivalent of Joseph.

Lithuania came under Poland at times, and parts of it under Russia at other times.

As for the number of aliases, all except 'Robert Hunter' look pretty much like Juozas Linka, and can probably be ascribed to people not being familiar with the spelling of his name, or him wishing to anglicise it for the sake of simplicity.

That 1973 death is registered as Robert Hunter as well as Jozef Linko. The death certificate should tell you his date of birth and the names of his parents including his mother's maiden surname, assuming that the informant knew their names.

If his mother's surname ends in '-iute' or '-iene' you can be pretty certain that he was Lithuanian. An unmarried woman in Lithuania has a surname ending in '-iute'. When she marries, she takes her husband's surname, but replaces the final '-as' with '-iene'. 

These practices usually got a bit mangled when confronted by a Scottish Registrar unfamiliar with the practice or the standard spellings of Lithuanian personal names.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 09:44 BST (UK) »
A few more aliases for him:  http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C11851603
Flipside, you definitely want to get a copy of his naturalisation papers if you can. They will give you quite a lot of information, including where he was born.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Flipside

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 12:49 BST (UK) »
the 1911 census i believe shows he was  Lithuanian Russian, living with his parents Andruis (aged 40 ) and Katorina (aged 40 ), siblings Palonia (aged 6).

Many thanks to everyone for your kind help, you have unraveled so much information and provided so many opportunities for further research.

Flip