Author Topic: Bestal/Bestall of Wicklow  (Read 5725 times)

Offline tmusabotf

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bestal/Bestall of Wicklow
« on: Tuesday 14 August 18 19:50 BST (UK) »
Hello, I’m looking for any information re my ancestors from Wicklow, in particular my great grandfather who appears to be William (Valentine) Bestal b1862 Wicklow. I’m not 100% sure he is my great grandfather but a name Cullen appears on two certificates and the dates kind of tie in.

I’m looking for any information re William Bestal b1862 his siblings and siblings of his mother Anne Cullen and father William Bestal as this is where I’m at a loss.

If anyone has information at all to connect William Valentine b1862 to William Bestal b1893 ( my grandfather)  I would really appreciate it.

Here’s what I’ve got so far:-
William Bestal Baptised 5 may 1862, county Wicklow (could be my great grandfather), online baptismal certificate states his name was Valentine Bestal but Valentine is scored out and replaced by by William.
William (Valentine’s) parents were William Bestal and Anne Cullen (possibly my great great grandparents) sponsor on baptismal certificate is Mary Reilly. 

I think there is a strong possibility these are the parents of William Bestal (my grandfather) as the date and the name Cullen ties in with regards to my grandfathers baptismal certificate as per info below.

My gandfather was William Bestel (photo attached, (need to scroll to the right)) was baptised 1/2/1893 Rathdrum, Wicklow. Godparents John Cullen and Brigida Corcoran, parents William Bestal and Margaret Corcoran.

His mother Margaret Corcoran Baptised 22 Jun 1855 Avoca,co Wicklow.
Margaret’s parents were Rose Carroll and John Corcoran.
sponsors/godparents on her baptismal certificate are Richard Murray & Catherine Goggins

William Bestal and Margaret Corcoran were married on 2 Jul 1888 Avoca Williams address shows as Ballinakill, Margaret’s address - Bariniskey, witnesses John & Mary Sullivan. Both died in Scotland

William Bestel b1893 (my grandfather) siblings were
Bridget born Wicklow, Ireland Married William Martin in Ireland
Margaret married to .... Kelly.
Mary Anne Bistal b13 Sep 1888 in Avoca, Baptised 16 Sep 1888, Avoca, address Balinastraw, godparents Brian &Maria Laughlin
John (aka Jack) Bestial b12 Oct 1890 • Aughrm, Ireland Baptised 13 Oct 1890 as address Mongnacool, parish Aughrim, godparents Andrew & Margaret Cosgrove,
Edward b1896
Francis b1898 Wicklow
All died in Kilsyth Scotland apart from Edward who apparently died in Ireland possibly Wicklow as he went back to Ireland to work for relations

Timeline in brief
William Bestal and Anne Cullen
William (Valentine) Bestal b1862 Wicklow - son
William Bestel b1893 Wicklow probably son and my grandfather

If anyone has any information as to which Bestall/Bestal family William Bestall husband of Anne Cullen is connected to it and if William Bestal married to Margaret Corcoran is William (Valentine’s son) it would help me a greatly as I’ve been trying to find out for many years and have got nowhere.

It’s clear that the name should either be Bestal or Bestall, I have an old money box with the surname Bestall on it.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bestal/Bestall of Wicklow
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 20:32 BST (UK) »
Well William, married to Margaret Corcoran, father is also William as per his marriage cert.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1888/10776/5930195.pdf

Offline tmusabotf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 20:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you, William appears to be a name regulary chosen in my family. Although Bestal/Bestall is a fairly unusual name, there appears to be quite a few William Bestall’s ( eg William Law Bestal, Audley William Bestall) Unfortunately I’m not 100% sure how or which William is connected and that’s where I’m having difficulty.

I wonder if there is a connection to the Halpins, Mannings and Jenkinsons of Wicklow also as the surname Bestal/ Bestall women appear  in those family trees.

Sadly after at least 10  years of searching I’ve been unable to complete the link, the only way is to confirm if William (Valentine) is my great great grandfather and if he has any siblings and who they  married etc

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 21:07 BST (UK) »
William Law Bestall seems to be connected to the William Bestall that died Templelyon in 1904 daughter Elsie, there is also a William Law henry Bestall died same place brother Fredrick who is likely to be a son of the William who died 1904.
Than William Law Bestall died 1867 is likely the father of the 1904 William, can't see his death cert yet.
Calendars of Will gives his wife as Catherine and address as Templelyon house

I think they can all be ruled out.

Offline tmusabotf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 00:47 BST (UK) »
You’re probably correct but they could perhaps be cousins or 2nd cousins etc though, as it is too much of an unusual surname not to be connected in some way or another and because of the location being the same.
Someone did say to me years ago that there was a likely connection to William Law Bestall but didn’t  say how, keeping in mind that I’m still not 100% sure about William Bestall born 1862 being the father of William in 1893.
If I can find siblings and cousins of William Bestall born 1862 I will be able to connect everything together, as it stands just  now I’m totally stuck

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 09:09 BST (UK) »

C Reg  Birth, Marriage and Death results for Besta*

Displaying results 1 - 97 of 97.   

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01mih/
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline tmusabotf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 10:43 BST (UK) »
Thank you some of the births of my grandfathers siblings are there including the marriage cert of my great grandfather and great grandmother but I still can’t make the connection to which  Bestall family my great grandfather and great great grandfather were connected to. There is a mention of my great great grandfather being a farmer

Also I forgot to mention, I saw an online  photo years ago of a lady called Haidee Bestall and the resemblence to my grandfather is very similar, if my memory serves me correctly her father was Digby Bestall but still have no proof of connection.

If anyone has any information at all I would very much appreciate it as this has been driving me crazy for years. Quick recap my grandfather William born Wicklow 1893 to Margaret Corcoran and William Bestal born 1862 or 1864 . Possibility that William Bestal born 1862 or 1864 parents were William Bestall and Anne Cullen and was given the name of Valentine which was scored out and changed to William but I’m not 100% sure if wm Valentine is my gg grandfather

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 10:55 BST (UK) »
Some pre 1864 Marriages too... Rathdrum and Dublin South
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 13:16 BST (UK) »
1862 Baptism of William
left hand page, 5th May
https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000633692#page/8/mode/1up

Have you gone through the rest of the register to see if they had any more children, also I'd look for a baptism of William sr as the other Bestalls appear to be COI it may be the case William converted in order to marry.