Author Topic: Andersons  (Read 1728 times)

Offline Cwellan CoDown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Andersons
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 16 August 18 13:51 BST (UK) »
David Anderson lived in plot 2 in flushtown
https://apps.proni.gov.uk/Val12B/ImageResult.aspx

And still had it when the valuation books finish in 1939

You can see where this is by looking at the Griffith valuation (you can zoom it in on the modern map find the Urney road between Clady and Strabane)
Its just off what is now Strahans road
http://griffiths.askaboutireland.ie/gv4/single_layer/i8.php?lat=&longt=&dum=0&sheet=4,9&mysession=2611588871888&info=&place=&county=Tyrone&placename=<b>Flushtown</b>&parish=Urney&country=Ireland&union=&barony=Strabane, lower
McClean, Kelly, Murray, Higgins, McAnulty (McNulty, Conalty, Kinolty), Morgan, Rafferty, McPolin (All Co Down, Ireland) Bowman, Hooper(Yorkshire)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 16 August 18 13:51 BST (UK) »
Anderson David of Flushtown Strabane county Tyrone farmer died 22 October 1952 Probate Londonderry 8 December to Joseph T. Robinson contractor and Samuel Fyffe law clerk. Effects £380 5s.

GRONI have the death date as 23 October 1952 and gives his age as 89. The good news is there could be locals who remember him and can tell you who is related to him in the area.

Flushtown is in the townland of Magheracoltan so many records may list the family under that name.
https://www.townlands.ie/tyrone/strabane-lower/ardstraw-strabane-lower-portion/magheracoltan/flushtown/

This might be a sale notice-
Londonderry Sentinel, 16 Nov.1957: At FLUSHTOWN, for Reps. D. ANDERSON, immediately afterwards.
Farmers can often tell you who owned what bit of land in the area  ;)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Mary57

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 16 August 18 14:42 BST (UK) »
This has all been a big help. David and Elizabeth were indeed my great grandparents. My grandfather was Harry and did marry mary who was an only child and was working in Strabane. My grandfather worked at Herdsmans estate I think as grooms man and then chaffaeur.
Maggie married into Boyds, Maud I believe married into Maguires John run away to war I think under age and died when only 22 in France, David it seemed went to work in Essex so presume he returned.
The mystery is Mary stayed on the farm and married a Holmes late in life. There was also a Lavenna (venna) who married Joe Robinson could this be Rebecca? Once again thanks for all your help.
Regards Elizabeth G

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 16 August 18 21:23 BST (UK) »
I also think that Rebecca and Lavenna are the same person.

The mystery is Mary stayed on the farm and married a Holmes late in life.
Why is that a mystery?

Offline Mary57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 16 August 18 21:44 BST (UK) »
The mystery was about Lavenna and Rebecca also if David came back to the farm or was in a different house on farm or different farm if that makes sense.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 16 August 18 21:58 BST (UK) »
The 1952 Will for David Anderson might mention his (living) children- PRONI should have it in their archives.

Wonder if this is from his family?
Londonderry Sentinel, 4 Nov.1952: ANDERSON—The Family and Relatives of the late David Anderson wish to thank all who sympathised with them in their recent sad bereavement; also Dr. Lyons and Dr. White for their kind ...

Offline Mary57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 17 August 18 15:40 BST (UK) »
I would say it is the will as JT Robinson was married to one of the family. He had a pub in Strabane which is now Joes bar. Not sure if there is any connection as it was Joe Robinson who originally owned it and used to sell coal round the back according to my mum