Author Topic: More Mears  (Read 1071 times)

Offline warkworth

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
More Mears
« on: Thursday 16 August 18 17:19 BST (UK) »
Would someone be kind enough to check a marriage for me when convenient?

On 24 August 1806, Elizabeth Mears married Nathan Sharp by licence at St. Nicholas, Newcastle.   

The image of the register isn't on FamilySearch, but that of the marriage allegation is.  Nathan was a clothier of Leeds, Elizabeth was said to have been resident in the parish for the previous four weeks.  The co-signatory of the allegation was Samuel Haywood, also a clothier of Leeds.

The Elizabeth Mears I'm looking for (whose married name was Sharp according to her father's will) was born in Northamptonshire, but by 1841 was in Armley, Leeds.  I have no idea why either of them would have been in Newcastle and I've found no evidence that they stayed there.

I'm assuming Samuel Haywood witnessed the marriage, but maybe not.  I'd be very grateful for details of the marriage record.

Many thanks
Joyce
Bennison, Dales, Ezard, Hodgson, Horsley, Hudson, Leng, Leppington, Marshall, Padgett, Reaston, Tate, Thorley / Thurley /Thurlow, Welbourn, Wilkinson - ERY / NRY (18th century and earlier)
Veal, Tyreman, Wetherell - NRY

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: More Mears
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 August 18 10:54 BST (UK) »
If no one beats me to it I will look this up for you at some point in the next few weeks. (fitting in with shift work and family commitments)

Oh timing!  ..... I was there yesterday.  Never mind, I will do this as soon as I can if you don't mind a possible wait of up to a few weeks.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline warkworth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 August 18 12:11 BST (UK) »
My own fault - I've kept putting this off till "tomorrow".

Happy to wait as long as it takes.  Many thanks.
Joyce
Bennison, Dales, Ezard, Hodgson, Horsley, Hudson, Leng, Leppington, Marshall, Padgett, Reaston, Tate, Thorley / Thurley /Thurlow, Welbourn, Wilkinson - ERY / NRY (18th century and earlier)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 August 18 13:34 BST (UK) »
I have made a note of this and will look this up at the first opportunity in the next few weeks. :). I will be back in touch soon.

I was there yesterday looking for a marriage for another Roots Chatter and also looking up several marriages for myself after finding these on the marriage locator link which I recently saw posted on here by Roots Chatter avm228. :)

http://www.marriage-locator.co.uk/
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline warkworth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 August 18 17:10 BST (UK) »
Re the marriage locator - I think it's always a good idea, even if you've got the certificate, to check a BMD against the parish register, if you can.

One of my great-grandfathers was illegitimate. When he married in 1867, the marriage certificate gave his mother's name, of course.  The parish register gave the name of his father, which must have been well-known in the community as he was the son of a local farmer.  Both parties were only about 15, so marriage didn't arise. 

But it gave me another line to research, even though I can't prove the connection without DNA.
Joyce

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 10:47 BST (UK) »
St Nicholas Cathedral, Newcastle upon Tyne

Entry No: 709 Page 271

'Nathan Sharp of Leeds in the County of York and Elizabeth Mears of this Parish Married in this Church by Licence this twenty fourth Day of August in the Year One Thousand Eight Hundred and Six by me John (Ellison?) Curate'

Both Nathan and Elizabeth signed their names.

Witnesses were John Thompson and Thomas Brown.  I suspect these two men might have been workers at the Church as they signed on other marriages in the register too.

Hope this is helpful for your research. :)

Offline warkworth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 14:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for this.  There was always a chance, with a licence, that at least one church official would witness.

Good to have the actual entry, though.  Now to think where to go from here!

Joyce