Author Topic: Hemsworth burial plan,  (Read 1387 times)

Offline vintagelass

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hemsworth burial plan,
« on: Thursday 16 August 18 18:46 BST (UK) »
Hi i am trying to find a burial  plan of hemsworth cemetary , Does anyone know if there is one online please. Thanks.

Offline plk74

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Hemsworth burial plan,
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 August 18 21:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Vintagelass

There is a plan on Yorkshire Indexers website.  It's not very detailed, but I will try to post a link on here:  http://www.yorkshireindexers.info/gallery/showimage.php?i=1492&c=85

If you need more detailed info, google Hemsworth Cemetery, it will take you to Wakefield Council's website where you will find the address of their bereavement services.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 August 18 17:08 BST (UK) »
Is there a record of burials in same graves in that cemetery, I wonder? There's a Mary Smith buried there about 1900 apparently,  and I'd like to know if she's in the same plot as anyone else, as as far as I know the rest of her family - who changed their surname at least once, possibly twice - are not in that area.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline lynn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 August 18 20:27 BST (UK) »
Hi ThrelfallYorky,

Page 50 of the Burial Register, Mary Smith died April 14 1900 and was buried April 19 1900 aged 57 years.  (Address given was New Model Lodging House, Hemsworth) Grave No. 676 Consecrated Section.

The online Burial Records for Hemsworth are only for 1896-1905, I have looked through these and found no other person buried in this Grave.

Happy Hunting
Lynn

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 August 18 15:14 BST (UK) »
Oh, thank you, lynn. She sounds exactly the age etc., that she should be. She started off as a Johnson, in Wales, may or may not have married an Anderson, but certainly produced a child with that surname, there. She then seemed to vanish, and so did a Charles Tomlinson, from Derbyshire, and I spent literally years chasing every child with approximately the right age and birthplace for her son ... up they popped, exactly the right details, as John and Mary Smith, with son James Henry! They settled in Lancashire, sometimes she was described as his wife, other times as "housekeeper". They had another child, Samuel.
When "John Smith" died, Samuel must've known the true story, he was buried under Tomlinson, and son Samuel took the surname on. All it says on the gravestone is that "Mary" died in 1900 and in Hemsworth. She's not given any surname there, so we surmised that she was not much wanted. I happened upon the "Hemsworth burial plan" topic, and it brought her back to my mind. I think I might now try to find out how long she'd been there, as she wasn't there in 1891 .... alone in the grave sounds as if there was no family there linked to her, perhaps she'd taken a job as a real housekeeper?
Thank you again, I appreciate your effort. Are the relevant records on "Ancestry"?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 August 18 16:55 BST (UK) »
- I'm assuming that the "New Model Lodging house, Hemsworth" may well be the local workhouse?

Offline TheIrishDescendant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 October 22 13:36 BST (UK) »
Hi do you know if the register is still on ? Or where I can find it please. I am looking for an ancestor in the grave yard but the link is no longer in use.