Author Topic: James Foulds (Oxton)  (Read 4490 times)

Offline emjayf

• RootsChat Member
  • Photo is 2020 me. Got fed up with my old silly one
    • View Profile
James Foulds (Oxton)
« on: Thursday 16 August 18 20:46 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

So I am curious where James Foulds (who became Fouldes later) is on the 1841 census. Now I know that he was born on 4th October 1840 as I have a copy of his birth certificate.
He is in Oxton in 1851 (the household has:
John Foulds (48 Year old Wheelwright) as the head,
Martha (40 Year old wife)
Elizabeth (24 Year old daughter)
Thomas (15 Year old son)
James (10 Year old son)
And George Herod (4 Year old nephew)

But where is he in the 1841 household?
Would he be in hospital?
I note that the household here is:
John Foulds (35 Year old Wheelwright) as the head,
Mary (NOT Martha!) (35 Year old wife)
Elizabeth (15 Year old daughter)
Henry (10 Year old son)
Thomas (6 Year old son)
John (4 Year old son)

So can anyone find James in 1841?

Many thanks
MJ
Fouldes.<br />Any area where our family are.  My branch started around Derbyshire, Nott's and Yorkshire.  We ended up in South Lincolnshire!  So yay!  Course any area with Fouldes in would help!  See my family tree below for what gaps I have!  Cheers!

Would also like to see any Beaumont's from Sheffield as I have lots of family photos & can't identify them!!

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Foulds (Oxton)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 August 18 21:11 BST (UK) »
Hello.... :)

James Foulds is with his family in 1841.... over on the next page  :D

Offline emjayf

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 August 18 21:18 BST (UK) »
Wait, is he really?! Years ago a friend got me an image of the page, but I guess he didn't realise there was a second page!!! So I have only seen the first page! Oh how irksome! I wonder if he still has access so he can send me the second page?

Thank you so much. What does the second page say? Is he the last listed member of the household? I assume his age is 1?

Thanks!
Fouldes.<br />Any area where our family are.  My branch started around Derbyshire, Nott's and Yorkshire.  We ended up in South Lincolnshire!  So yay!  Course any area with Fouldes in would help!  See my family tree below for what gaps I have!  Cheers!

Would also like to see any Beaumont's from Sheffield as I have lots of family photos & can't identify them!!

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 August 18 21:22 BST (UK) »
The query re Mary and Martha ....this is how it looks to me.....

John FOULDS married Mary Birch at Oxton St Peter and St Paul - 5th April 1825

Mary Foulds was buried at Oxton 29th March 1843, age 33 yrs

John FOULDES remarries to Martha Birch at Nottingham St Mary - 9th April 1844

Added:

1841 - the page details are as you have given - James is over on the next page and included with the family and his age is given as 7 months.

Offline emjayf

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 August 18 14:02 BST (UK) »
The query re Mary and Martha ....this is how it looks to me.....

John FOULDS married Mary Birch at Oxton St Peter and St Paul - 5th April 1825

Mary Foulds was buried at Oxton 29th March 1843, age 33 yrs

John FOULDES remarries to Martha Birch at Nottingham St Mary - 9th April 1844

Okay - crack-pot theory!  I have always assumed the addition of the E to our surname was an error - but what if Martha Birch was sister of Mary - i.e. John's sister-in-law.  I have been told it was illegal to marry your sister-in-law back then - so maybe he altered his name just by a letter and then thought that would make him seem like a different person and nobody would link the fact that he was John Foulds marrying the sister of his dead wife?

I mean more likely it's ilteracy and noone really worrying about how names were spelled back then!!

MJ

Offline emjayf

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 August 18 14:15 BST (UK) »
So i would like to find where the chidren of John & Mary Foulds are.  I have filled in the dates from the census images I have.  The "?" are when the children have moved out of home and i don't know where they are!  I found James all the way along.  Not sure where John is in 1851 nor Henry - and you can see the gaps I am looking for.  Mostly they are around Oxton in Nottinghamshire then later Sheffield.  Here is what I have:

Name                    Elizabeth         Henry                    Thomas                    John                    James

1841 Census:        15                    10                         6                              4                         7 (Months)

1851 Census:        24                    ?                           15                            ?                         10

1861 Census:        ?                      ?                           ?                              23                       20

After this ALL of the children had left home.

1871 Census:        ?                       ?                         ?                               ?                        30 (with wife & 3 kids)

1881 Census:        ?                       ?                         ?                               ?                        40 (with wife & 2 kids)

1891 Census:        65                     ?                         ?                               ?                        50 (with wife, 2 kids & nephew)

1901 Census:        ?                       ?                         ?                               ?                        61 (with wife & grandson, Harry)

Thanks all!

MJ

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 August 18 14:27 BST (UK) »
I wouldn't attach any great significance to the variety of spelling of Foulds/Fouldes.  Spelling was very fluid in that era, with many people illiterate, or, even if they weren't, having few occasions to need to write ones name.  The vicar at marriage would write what he thought for the spelling, and likewise the vicar at baptisms and burials, the census enumerator would write it how he saw it, or how he read the form , etc etc, and these could all be slightly different.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 17 August 18 14:32 BST (UK) »

Oxton
Elizabeth Birch 64 widow  almswoman bn Oxton
Henry Fouldes 29 grandson unm  cordwainer bn Oxton

Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 17 August 18 14:34 BST (UK) »
In case you dont have it Johns Baptism is on FreREG 14 Mar 1803

The Burial posted seems a little out to me.

Mary Foulds was buried at Oxton 29th March 1843, age 33 yrs, so c 1810.
She would have been young to marry 1825.

FreeREG has a Mary Birch 07 Jan 1805 Oxon

Aaah FreeREG has Mary as 38 and GRO does also
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)