Author Topic: James Foulds (Oxton)  (Read 4442 times)

Offline emjayf

• RootsChat Member
  • Photo is 2020 me. Got fed up with my old silly one
    • View Profile
Re: James Foulds (Oxton)
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 18 August 18 11:32 BST (UK) »
Here is a little bit more to fill in the gaps.

Apologies, a typo on my part.....the transcript for Mary Fouldes does says she was 38 years old.
Buried at Oxton 29th March 1843

Burial - OXTON St Peter and St Paul
24th March 1843 - Martha FOULDES, Inf, abode Oxton

Thank you. Quite a sad time for the family, to lose your wife/mother and newborn baby. I am not surprised he decided to remarry so soon after, must have been hard back then for a single man to bring up five children. I guess you would have no help with childcare and no financial aid. He would NEED to work. I cannot imagine a Wheelwright would earn a super amount.

According to the marriage certificate, (9.April 1844 at the Parish Church of St Mary in Nottingham) his second wife, Martha Birch had a father called Richard (a blacksmith) and it was in the presence of Rebecca Birch (possibly her mother).

I wonder if they can be found on the 1841 census? Martha lived on Derby/Denby Road (Nottingham?). Not that this would help me find if Martha and Mary were sisters!

Sweet little mysteries , eh?!

Cheers
MJ
Fouldes.<br />Any area where our family are.  My branch started around Derbyshire, Nott's and Yorkshire.  We ended up in South Lincolnshire!  So yay!  Course any area with Fouldes in would help!  See my family tree below for what gaps I have!  Cheers!

Would also like to see any Beaumont's from Sheffield as I have lots of family photos & can't identify them!!

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 18 August 18 12:30 BST (UK) »
I can only see one Rebecca Birch in Nottinghamshire on the 1841... and she is in Oxton, born about 1821.

This is the only Rebecca Birch I can see baptised in Oxton....

Oxton St Peter and St Paul - 23rd March 1817
Rebecca dau of Richard & Elisabeth BIRCH - fathers occupation = Publican.

1841 Rebecca is with parents Richard &  Elizabeth Birch with them are a John aged 20 who is given as Ap (Apprentice) and another John Birch aged 13.

All were born in county (Notts) except Richard Birch aged 65 .... his occupation is given as Black Smith.

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 18 August 18 12:48 BST (UK) »
Just in case ...... :)

This site is good and you might gather a bit more info from here that might help....

http://dustydocs.com/county/1/england/29/nottinghamshire.html

http://dustydocs.com/country-show/1/England.html

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 18 August 18 15:46 BST (UK) »
Oxton Baptism 16 Dec 1827 John Bush son of Martha Birch single woman abode Oxton. Could this be the John on the 1841 census with Richard and Elizabeth?

There is a Martha Birch aged 35 here in St Mary Nottinghamshire
HO107/869/Book: 13/23  p40
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline emjayf

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 18 August 18 17:39 BST (UK) »
Oxton Baptism 16 Dec 1827 John Bush son of Martha Birch single woman abode Oxton. Could this be the John on the 1841 census with Richard and Elizabeth?

There is a Martha Birch aged 35 here in St Mary Nottinghamshire
HO107/869/Book: 13/23  p40

Is the Martha mentioned 35 years old in 1827? If so then that is too old for my Martha. Or did you mean 35 in 1841?

MJ
Fouldes.<br />Any area where our family are.  My branch started around Derbyshire, Nott's and Yorkshire.  We ended up in South Lincolnshire!  So yay!  Course any area with Fouldes in would help!  See my family tree below for what gaps I have!  Cheers!

Would also like to see any Beaumont's from Sheffield as I have lots of family photos & can't identify them!!

Offline emjayf

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 18 August 18 18:23 BST (UK) »
Just in case ...... :)

This site is good and you might gather a bit more info from here that might help....

http://dustydocs.com/county/1/england/29/nottinghamshire.html

http://dustydocs.com/country-show/1/England.html

Thanks for this. That website lead me to a website called Family search and that brought up baptism/christening records in Oxton, Nottinghamshire for Elizabeth (2/4/1826), Henry (17/7/1831), Thomas (2/8/1835 and using the "Fouldes" name!). All are in Oxton with parents of John and Mary. The dates match up roughly with the ages on the 1841 census. I cannot find  John yet! He was 4 on 1841 census so should be christened around 1837/8 ish.

The detection goes on!

MJ

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 19 August 18 10:46 BST (UK) »
Hi MJ..... :)

I cannot find John yet!

Just a thought ...... "Certificates and indexes of civil registered births introduced after the passing of the Births and Deaths Registration Act of 1836. Civil registration was introduced from 1 July 1837 which meant that all births, marriages and deaths had to be reported to the register office in the district where the event took place."

Perhaps the parents didn't feel the need for a baptism if the child had been legally recognised?

Oxton is in Southwell registration district - I can see on the GRO index.....

FOULDES, JOHN  / MMN = BIRCH   
GRO Reference: 1838  M Quarter in SOUTHWELL  Volume 15  Page 644

FOULDS, JAMES / MMN = BIRCH      
GRO Reference: 1840  D Quarter in SOUTHWELL  Volume 15  Page 627

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/indexes_search.asp

Offline emjayf

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 19 August 18 11:56 BST (UK) »
Hi MJ..... :)

I cannot find John yet!

Just a thought ...... "Certificates and indexes of civil registered births introduced after the passing of the Births and Deaths Registration Act of 1836. Civil registration was introduced from 1 July 1837 which meant that all births, marriages and deaths had to be reported to the register office in the district where the event took place."

Perhaps the parents didn't feel the need for a baptism if the child had been legally recognised?

Oxton is in Southwell registration district - I can see on the GRO index.....

FOULDES, JOHN  / MMN = BIRCH   
GRO Reference: 1838  M Quarter in SOUTHWELL  Volume 15  Page 644

FOULDS, JAMES / MMN = BIRCH      
GRO Reference: 1840  D Quarter in SOUTHWELL  Volume 15  Page 627

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/indexes_search.asp

Good point! And if there is no baptism record for James, who was born after, then that would make sense!

Thanks
MJ

Offline emjayf

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 22 August 18 20:30 BST (UK) »
Currently I cannot see where John Foulds/Fouldes is in 1851.

So he was the son of John and Mary and was born in Oxton (Notts) around 1837 (I have found Christening records of his older 2 brothers and sister but not him) and was on the 1841 census aged 4. He appears with his family again in 1861 aged 23. But I cannot see him in 1851?

As I say he is back in 1861 but then I lose him, again, in 1871. I then can find him on the other censuses until his death in 1915.

The 1851 census is really eluding me though!! Any help much appreciated!

Thanks all.

MJ