Author Topic: Stag and Hounds, Howtown, Martindale  (Read 1170 times)

Offline Dragoman

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Stag and Hounds, Howtown, Martindale
« on: Thursday 16 August 18 21:20 BST (UK) »
In researching an ancestor of mine I have discovered that in the 1851 Census he is described as a victualler of the Stag and Hands at High How Town, Martindale, Westmorland. Looking at Howtown now online I see that there is the Howtown Hotel which looks old enough to have been around in 1851. However I cannot trace any information to show that it was formerly known as The Stag and Hounds. Can anyone help me please?
Etches, Plant, Nunn

Offline Gan Yam

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Going Home - exploring my past
    • View Profile
Re: Stag and Hounds, Howtown, Martindale
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 August 18 20:17 BST (UK) »
There’s a reference here to the Howtown Hotel being called the Stag and Hounds, not the right time but it may have changed names more than once.

http://www.geog.port.ac.uk/webmap/thelakes/html/lgaz/lk13354.htm

There are also references to the Stag and Hounds in the British Newspaper Archives in both the Kendal Mercury and the Westmorland Gazette.  I don't have a sub so cant see the full article, but they are more in the time frame you are looking for 1840s and 1850s. (Put Howtown Stag and Hounds in the search box)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dragoman

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stag and Hounds, Howtown, Martindale
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 August 18 08:37 BST (UK) »
There’s a reference here to the Howtown Hotel being called the Stag and Hounds, not the right time but it may have changed names more than once.

http://www.geog.port.ac.uk/webmap/thelakes/html/lgaz/lk13354.htm

There are also references to the Stag and Hounds in the British Newspaper Archives in both the Kendal Mercury and the Westmorland Gazette.  I don't have a sub so cant see the full article, but they are more in the time frame you are looking for 1840s and 1850s. (Put Howtown Stag and Hounds in the search box)

Man thanks for this information, Gan Yam
Etches, Plant, Nunn