Author Topic: What became of Mortimer Brownrigg SOMMERS after 1849  (Read 1293 times)

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
What became of Mortimer Brownrigg SOMMERS after 1849
« on: Saturday 18 August 18 00:08 BST (UK) »
Anc* have a record for the embarkation from Liverpool of Mortimer Brownrigg SOMMERS a 28 year old Irish male workman who arrived in New York, New York, USA 27 Aug 1849 on board the John R. Skiddy. [New York, Irish Immigrant Arrival Records, 1846-1851]

i have been unable to locate him going through Ellis Island.  I don't have access to the original records of his arrival in New York and only have a transcription. The original record may hold more details such as his birthplace in Ireland and his parents. 

Perhaps he can be located in the Census records and unfortunately I don't have access to them. 

i don't have any more detail on Mortimer.  Mortimer has the same unusual name as a person I am seeking specifically Brownrigg SOMERS/SOMERS.  Brownrigg SOMERS/SOMERS son Robert Fraser SOMERS migrated to Australia.  Brownrigg SOMERS/SOMERS wif was Eliza FRASER.

It may be that Brownrigg is a family name and nonetheless its unusual and an unusual combination so am hoping to locate details relating to the young Mortimer who travels to the USA.

Westy

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What became of Mortimer Brownrigg SOMMERS after 1849
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 August 18 06:45 BST (UK) »
The passenger list for the John R Skiddy his name has been transcribed as Sorrows,
simply gives his name and age of 28 born Ireland, Laborer, destination New York, and he has 1 trunk.

Not as detailed as others I've seen with names of relatives and addresses as final ddestination 

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 August 18 06:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks so very much.

Westy

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 August 18 07:06 BST (UK) »
Perhaps the census record/s may give more information on Mortimer's aged, birthdate and location??

Westy

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 August 18 10:18 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately, at the time Mortimer Brownrigg Som(m)ers travelled - the shipping manifests wouldn't show more that what you have - the type of detailed manifests showing home address, destination address, relatives/friend from whence came, relatives/friend going to, precise birthplaces, etc., came decades later.

I've had a look for him US Census 1850+ - no sign, and I searched under a variety of ways (Mort*) (Mor*), (Som*), (Brownr*) &  so on.

I also looked to see if there was an Eliza Som*ers arriving in NY  after him (often when immigrating a man made his way over first, wife children later).

I see from other topics/posts on web that : your Robert Frazer SOMMERS, Draper of Aston's Quay Dublin in 1880 when he married Phebe Letitia JACKSON in Roscrea, Tipperary - gave his father as "Mortimer B SOMMERS, Hotel Keeper".

And when Robert died in 1913 in Australia his youngest son informed Roberts parents as:
Brownrigg Sommers and Eliza Jackson - as you say, likely a bit misinformed or failed/partial memory at play there.

Will keep looking - sorry not to be more help!

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 August 18 11:28 BST (UK) »
From a name point of view, this is interesting……

Came across Catholic Baptism records of children born within the Dublin Dioscese to parents named:
Mortimer SOMERS and Eliza PRESTAGE
1851: Murthous, (parents Murthoo Somers & Eliz'th Prestage), Ballynabanogne
1860: Sarah, Clomaany
1862: Elleonora Johanna, Clomurray,
1865: Margarita, Clomurray
1867: Eliza, Clonmary
1873: Winifreda, Askinch
1870: Maria, Johnstown

Googled Eliza Prestage Somers and got a couple of snippets:
"….forbidden 1856 marriage of Eliza PRESTAGE, Catholic (her mother a Hollingworth) to Murtha SOMERS Jnr which caused family a family rift….."

So…from this, I understand you might well find the name "Mortimer"  as alternatives " Murtha", or "Murtagh" ?

Cheers
AMBLY

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 18 August 18 11:44 BST (UK) »
That is a great find AMBLY.  You have been a great help and it is very much appreciated.

The family were definitely anti-Catholic and just perhaps that's why they were anti-Catholic?

Can you please paste the web addresses for your finds as I don't seem to be able to replicate the results.

Which country?

Westy

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 18 August 18 12:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Westy,

The baptisms etc, from A%y.

This is the Google Books snippet:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01mju/
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01mjt/

I have a feeling this is might be the same Mortimer in 1901 Census Ireland - but is so, daughter's ages a bit out of kilter. In Coombe, Wood Quay, Dublin
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai003790242/

https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/
Winifred SOMERS married Augustine KELLY in 1897, and said her father was Murtagh SOMERS, Dairyman.

Murtagh SOMERS Jnr married Elizabeth DWYER* in 1888, and his address was 92 **Coombe (mistranscribed as *Dwyan and **Cromlee). Parents Murtagh Somers & Eliza Prestige.

A%y: There are a number of Trade Directories for Ireland around that time, which include a Murtagh SOMERS of 96 Coombe, one of many Registered Dairies.

Cheers
AMBLY

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 18 August 18 12:24 BST (UK) »
Once again thanks so much AMBLY.

Its most curious. Based on those snippets it seems that M SOMERS was Catholic and that Eliza converted to Catholicism.

The SOMERS family from whom this research sprang are definitely Church of England although they were possibly Church of Ireland and I shall enquire.

A PM on its way.

Much appreciated.

Westy