Author Topic: William and Ann BIDDLE(S) of Whissendine Rutland  (Read 3087 times)

Offline turramurra

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William and Ann BIDDLE(S) of Whissendine Rutland
« on: Saturday 18 August 18 05:13 BST (UK) »
William BIDDLE b.1757 at Whissendine married Ann ( Henfry )
Their son, James BIDDLE born 1791 married Mary Thompson 1812.
Seeking any family history please.
Turramurra
HALSTEAD Essex, Australia,EVERETT Essex,  BIDDLE, Leicester and Rome Italy, GRUNOW, Adolph b1858 Berlin Germany
Soratapassenger on  ship to Australia 1800 , PICKUP Lanc, NICOL Sct, Joseph Smith and Margaret Holmes Convicts to Australia 2nd fleet and 3rd fleet

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: William and Ann BIDDLE(S) of Whissendine Rutland
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 August 18 07:48 BST (UK) »
What information do you have already to save us looking for census etc that you have already found
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 August 18 12:28 BST (UK) »
Hello
Here's what I can see.
William s of Jonathon and Elizabeth Biddle baptised 16 Jan 1757 at Whissendine.
He was buried 5.4.1809 also at Whissendine age 53
He appears to have married at Oakham  an Elizabeth Wright at  12 .11.1789 by banns .
He of Whissendine and she of this parish.He made a cross and she signed.
wit John Brown and John Munday
Daughter Eleanor bapt 5.12.1790 Whissendine

Son James baptised at Langham 16.1.1791 but born 14th
Daughters Elizabeth at Langham 19.3./23.3.1794 and buried 13 May ,Ann 4.9.1796 and Mary buried 20.1.1799.

But there are  earlier children at Langham-Sarah 24.10.1785 bapt Dec 1785 ,William 22.2./26.2.1787  ,John at Langham 19.1./24.1.1789 s of William and Ann so there looks to be two couples here.
While there is a son William at Whissendine with Elizabeth 15.2.1795.

So it looks like your William is from Langham and buried Nov 1st 1836 age 79 years.
The marriage to Ann Henfry occurred at Little Ponton lincs and they were of Wyval and Saxby 18.7.1784.
Wife Ann was buried at Langham 26 Dec 1847 age 86

James Biddle  is a farm lab at Somerby 1861 with wife Mary 69 and grandson William 1
They were there in 1851 as well with daughter Amy 25 and Sarah 20.
1841 Somerby -James 50 Mary 45-Josh? 15 ,Amy 15,Ann 12,Sarah 9,Louisa 6

Baptisms at Somerby for the children-Mary Ann 6.10.1816,Jane 16.4.1820,Zacharias 26.12.1822,Amy 8.1.1826,Ann 30.10.1828,Sarah 6.9.1831,Louisa 8.2.1835,

James was buried at Somerby 24.11.1862 age 71 and Mary 18.3.1879 age 87

Sorry that's all I have
Ciderdrinker

Offline turramurra

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 August 18 22:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you to both rosie99 and Ciderdrinker for replies.
All information extremely helpful.

I have a mass of history forward from the BIDDLE family beginning at Zachariah John born 26th Dec 1822 in Rome, Italy. He married Emily Sarah Ansell 7th August 1858.
My great grandfather was the eldest of 4 children born to Zachariah and Emily Biddle in Rome.

His name was Henry Gerald Biddle and he married twice in Australia. His second widow murdered in the street on a Saturday afternoon leaving a small son, my grandfather.

I am trying to piece together a story of family history from England where the Biddle family originated- 
Leicestershire, Rutland (is it still a County?) and make a map where they all lived and died to hopefully find some history.

James Biddle born 4th Jan 1791 was the 4th son of William and (Ann ? Henfry)
They had many children and perhaps I can find a researcher somewhere on the planet who is also from this BIDDLE family.
It seems such along time ago to go digging for research and to find answers.

The Biddle family in Australia is very small.
Henry Gerald died 1911
His brother John William Fyfe died 1904
his two sisters,  Annie and Caroline returned to England after Rome,both married and had children.

All information is useful and I am sure that a BIDDLE researcher will surface and have lots of answers!

Turramurra
NSW Australia

HALSTEAD Essex, Australia,EVERETT Essex,  BIDDLE, Leicester and Rome Italy, GRUNOW, Adolph b1858 Berlin Germany
Soratapassenger on  ship to Australia 1800 , PICKUP Lanc, NICOL Sct, Joseph Smith and Margaret Holmes Convicts to Australia 2nd fleet and 3rd fleet

Offline turramurra

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 August 18 08:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you for information.
There seems to be two families in this puzzle.

Jonathan BIDDLE b.1723   married twice.
First wife, Ann Simes 1751 Whissendine, Rutland
Ann had son Jonathan  born 1752.
Ann died 11th March 1752.Whissendine.

Second wife, Elizabeth    ?    (As yet I cannot find surname ) born 1733. married c 1756.
They had 4 children, Thomas died, William b.1757 Elizabeth born,1762, Mary born 1773.(died young)

William, son of Jonathan and Elizabeth married Ann Henfry. 18th July 1784 Little Ponton Lincoln.
William died 1809 at Langham Rutland.

Would anyone know the surname of Elizabeth who married Jonathon Biddle please ?
and did Jonathan son of Ann ( Simes ) survive ?

Turramurra

Offline forte

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 25 February 20 16:31 GMT (UK) »
Can't find a ma to Elizabeth - sorry. How do you know the ma date?

There are burials in Whissendine for Jonathon in 1763 and 1786. The latter record says "a hospitable man" so presumably this could be the father and the other probably the son b 1852.

Found a ma for Jonathon Biddle of Whissendine to Mary Wells at Ridlington not far away 19/8/1753.

Are you sure about William's ma to Anne Henfry? At time of marriage she resided Saxby and he at Wyval (presumably Wyville) both are close to Little Ponton but not so near to Whissendine- and as he apparently died in Langham, which is very close to Whissendine, was bu at Whissendine 1809 - just a thought. Might need to revisit your sources.

Happy hunting
DEXTER-  pre 1800 Rutland & Lincolnshire
DAWSON -  Wymeswold Leics
HALL - Sheffield Yorkshire UK & Tasmania
MARSH- Willoughby on the Wolds
BLEWITT/BLUEITT/BLUITT mainly Grantham area

Offline forte

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 25 February 20 18:09 GMT (UK) »
Have been doing a bit more digging. There are lots of Biddles in Whissendine which is near Oakham in Rutland.

John Biddle ma Elizabeth Stafford a widow in 1792 at Whissendine.   I think Elizabeth initially ma Henry Stafford who resided in Whiss and they married in 1773 in Gunby Lincolnshire where Elizabeth was born in 1755 nee MARSON.  Henry & Elizabeth had children John b 1775, William b 1778 and Sarah b 1781 - dates fit nicely as do names - Elizabeth's parents were John and Sarah  -tradition was to name 1st son after paternal g/f.
Henry died in 1788 in Whiss and so with 3 children Elizabeth would need to marry again possibly to John Biddle 4 years later.
If this is correct John and Elizabeth went on to have two sons James b 1793 and Thomas 1795 - again dates fit nicely.

I also found the parents of Jonathon b 1723 to be Jonathon and Dorothy nee Baly who ma in 1716 in Whissendine.

All this of course needs to be checked and verified.
Best of luck
DEXTER-  pre 1800 Rutland & Lincolnshire
DAWSON -  Wymeswold Leics
HALL - Sheffield Yorkshire UK & Tasmania
MARSH- Willoughby on the Wolds
BLEWITT/BLUEITT/BLUITT mainly Grantham area

Offline turramurra

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 15 August 20 22:56 BST (UK) »
Thank you forte for your answers...

Due to a long winter and various inside restrictions...family history and genealogy has been great solace for myself and to share with others...
Two friends have been asking for family history help and roots chat has inspired them both..
One has joined and already had some discoveries...

Which brings me to the quest for BIDDLE family history.
My maiden name was Biddle

Our travels last year were to UK Thankful that we did indeed arrive and have 6 weeks of exploration and some delightful experiences with British hospitality and glorious countryside.

We stayed at Rutland with a good chance to explore the surrounding parishes of Oakham, Langham and of course Whissendine.

I am excited at the possibility of sorting out the ancestry of the BIDDLE family today!

Most sincere thanks,
turramurra