Author Topic: Parentage problems!  (Read 5337 times)

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Parentage problems!
« Reply #72 on: Monday 20 August 18 11:06 BST (UK) »
The simplest answer is usually the correct one - the priest made an error.

That has set me wondering, because we have five grandchildren with us at the moment, I know all the names but which name goes with which child I have to think hard

I wonder if the aged priest knew the family so well that he made no notes, and, having finished off the communion wine went to fill in the book and just made the same error that I did ten minutes ago

Mike

Offline itsrobert

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Monday 20 August 18 11:13 BST (UK) »
Yes, it is definitely a possibility that the priest just made a mistake. At the time of John's baptism, the family had 4 sisters and a brother. So confusing the names of the 4 females is a definite possibility. I just wish Amelia hadn't had a sister called Ellen, or that Ellen wasn't significantly younger. Then it would be easy to prove it was a mistake!

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Monday 20 August 18 11:14 BST (UK) »
 ;D   ;D

That is highly likely Mike especially after the 'wine'   

As I posted earlier when Amelia married she and her husband signed someone elses marriage certificate as the bride & groom, the other couple signed Amelia's so the clergy was obviously not doing their job properly.  There was a message posted alongside both certificates to the effect that they were wrong.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Monday 20 August 18 11:34 BST (UK) »

That has set me wondering, because we have five grandchildren with us at the moment, I know all the names but which name goes with which child I have to think hard

One of my grandmothers was like that. Not only did she get me muddled with my female cousin, but with my aunts (her daughters) as well. I was Jill, Joy or Sibyl more often than myself.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline itsrobert

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Monday 20 August 18 11:39 BST (UK) »
;D   ;D

That is highly likely Mike especially after the 'wine'   

As I posted earlier when Amelia married she and her husband signed someone elses marriage certificate as the bride & groom, the other couple signed Amelia's so the clergy was obviously not doing their job properly.  There was a message posted alongside both certificates to the effect that they were wrong.

Yes that amused me when I first saw it!

Another amusing error in my family research was the cremation record of my great-grandfather. He died and was cremated in 1976, but according to the cremation register, it was his son who was cremated! I can categorically say it wasn't as my grandfather didn't die until 1999. He never knew he had been cremated twice!!

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Monday 20 August 18 11:56 BST (UK) »
I wonder if Amelia and the other couple had a 'double wedding'

It does not make sense otherwise as Amelias wedding should have been over and registers signed before the other couple had their ceremony
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Monday 20 August 18 16:38 BST (UK) »
Rosie, re reply 69. My post was intended to support your explanation of the sleeping arrangements and that John being included in GF's household on the census was a mere practicality and that one shouldn't read too much into it. I haven't seen the census myself.
Several people sharing a room, 2 or 3 in a bed, putting occupants of a household wherever they could be fitted in was the norm.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Monday 20 August 18 17:23 BST (UK) »
One of my grandmothers was like that. Not only did she get me muddled with my female cousin, but with my aunts (her daughters) as well. I was Jill, Joy or Sibyl more often than myself.

Same here.  A woman in the village and a teacher at school were forever mixing me up with a sister or cousin. I was too shy and polite to correct them.
The priest may have been used to seeing all 4 sisters together each Sunday and as there was a set of twins wasn't certain who was who. Perhaps, like the woman in my village and the teacher at my school, he'd been addressing Amelia as Ellen (or Mary Jane or Ann) or Ellen as Amelia (or Mary Jane or Ann) for years and hadn't been put right.

Alternatively the priest might have needed (new) glasses and couldn't read the mother's name scrawled on a slip of paper and guessed. Perhaps all he could make out was "el" and concluded the name was Helen. (Try writing "Melia" and "Helena" with your eyes closed.) We don't know how much time had elapsed before he wrote the baptism in the register. He might have done another dozen baptisms + a few weddings and funerals before he got round to writing it up.

I've been at a funeral where the elderly priest who'd known the deceased by his Christian name for 20 years, referred to him by his son's name.
Cowban

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Monday 20 August 18 17:38 BST (UK) »
Rosie, re reply 69. My post was intended to support your explanation of the sleeping arrangements and that John being included in GF's household on the census was a mere practicality and that one shouldn't read too much into it. I haven't seen the census myself.
Several people sharing a room, 2 or 3 in a bed, putting occupants of a household wherever they could be fitted in was the norm.

I would still expect a family unit to be listed together if everyone was under the same roof.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.