Author Topic: Looking for Francis Prior in 1841  (Read 1838 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for Francis Prior in 1841
« on: Saturday 18 August 18 14:01 BST (UK) »
Francis Prior was baptised in Broxted on 2 Mar 1808 s/o John and Sarah. The family moved to Takeley and his two younger brothers George and John were baptised there in 1815 and 1817 respectively. Francis married Susan Lucking on 19 mar 1831 in Takeley. In 1841 Susan and their children William, Emma and Thomas are living in Takeley, by her name is written "husband Ag Lab" which has then been crossed out. On the same double page are Francis' parents John and Sarah and the two youngest brothers. A couple of pages earlier is Mary Prior and her children (widow of Francis' older brother James).
They had four more children after 1841 and he is with the family in 1861 (Takeley is missing from 1851 census), so I don't believe they had separated.
Please can anyone find him?
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Francis Prior in 1841
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 August 18 15:28 BST (UK) »
There's a criminal register entry from 1835 (not guilty) Francis Prior born 1808 - maybe he was in a similar boat in 1841  :-\

Whereabouts was was the closest child born after 1841 birth place?
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 August 18 15:55 BST (UK) »
The next child after the three on the census was born in Takeley as well according to the 1861 census, he was 19, so born in last 3 quarters of 1841 or first quarter up to census day in 1842. Can't find a birth registration for him or the next two, only the last daughter born in 1851.
I can't find a baptism for him either, but I can find baptisms for all his siblings.

Francis and two other men were charged with stealing wood. They had been employed to "stub" a hedge (not sure what that means, but involves cutting). They were told not to take any of the wood away, but they did. They were found not guilty, I think the magistrate was not convinced that they understood that they were not to take the wood away.

As far as I can see that is his only "criminal" record and was probably the result of a misunderstanding and not any intention to steal.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline nannyj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 August 18 23:20 BST (UK) »
Thomas is baptised takeley 5 Feb 1837, Emma 19 jan 1834, Daniel 28 Jul 1838 (surname spelled as Pryor by the Parish clerk), Sarah 7 Jun 1846 (father’s name is recorded as frank now but surname back to prior), george Aug 6 1848, Susan 25 May 1851.
All in takeley Parish records. Big gap between Daniel and Sarah? Maybe he was in prison after all?
Jamiesons, Martins and McGonigals of Coleraine, Londonderry
and
Cullens, Grahams and Challenors of Dublin county and city.

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 August 18 23:37 BST (UK) »
Francis' earlier 'brush with the law' might have led him to be labelled a troublemaker so he could have been persecuted into prison.

An alternative possibility is that he was unable to find employment (perhaps through injury or ill health) and spent time in a Workhouse or infirmary.

Pjilip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 August 18 08:59 BST (UK) »
Thomas is baptised takeley 5 Feb 1837, Emma 19 jan 1834, Daniel 28 Jul 1838 (surname spelled as Pryor by the Parish clerk), Sarah 7 Jun 1846 (father’s name is recorded as frank now but surname back to prior), george Aug 6 1848, Susan 25 May 1851.
All in takeley Parish records. Big gap between Daniel and Sarah? Maybe he was in prison after all?

Thanks, I had all the other baptisms, it's John born about 1841/2 (according to age on census), I couldn't find. He married Rose Ann Jolly in 1862 in Suffolk. It's further confused by the fact he had a cousin John (son of James Prior) who also married in 1862, but in Takeley to Mary Ann Francis.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 August 18 09:02 BST (UK) »
Francis' earlier 'brush with the law' might have led him to be labelled a troublemaker so he could have been persecuted into prison.

He was found not guilty so never went to prison. That incident was 6 years before the census. I suspect he was working away from home somewhere, and his employer or lodging house keeper forgot include him on the census form

Offline nannyj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 19 August 18 10:33 BST (UK) »
No John on parish records. As you say, maybe moved for work. Will have a look at the neighbouring parishes later. I thought you said you only had William, Thomas and Emma as well as Susan?
I would have expected there to be a Francis too as nearly all the other family names are there.
Jamiesons, Martins and McGonigals of Coleraine, Londonderry
and
Cullens, Grahams and Challenors of Dublin county and city.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 19 August 18 11:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I had all the other baptisms, it's John born about 1841/2 (according to age on census), I couldn't find. He married Rose Ann Jolly in 1862 in Suffolk.

Tiny bit suspicious that a baptism/birth record for him hasn't been found and Francis is awol in 1841.

Tried different spellings and the notion John could be a second name but no luck. 

In fact can't find Prior/Lucking births on GRO at all  :-[  George - Sarah - Susan

Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos