Author Topic: Margaret McGlynn (c1870s-1890s?)  (Read 3912 times)

Offline youngones82

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret McGlynn (c1870s-1890s?)
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 18 August 18 15:05 BST (UK) »
But none of those records you linked to had anything to do with Margaret anyway?

I thought it was fairly obvious when I said I couldn't find them, I meant on the Irish Genealogy site. Where would anyone else look for Irish records? I thought maybe someone would be better at searching their records and have more luck finding her. I do apologise for wasting your time!

As it happens I may have found the record for her birth - 1872 in Tullamore, parents Hugh McGlynn & Anne Mill. Without having the marriage record to check it against though I can't be sure.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 18 August 18 16:12 BST (UK) »

Offline youngones82

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 18 August 18 16:35 BST (UK) »
Ah I guess that's not her then. Thanks dathai.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 19 August 18 00:34 BST (UK) »
The 'scotlandspeople' website has a record (pay to view) for a death registered in St. Andrew (Dundee) district for a Margaret Gounoude who died in 1897 with a reported age of 28, is that a possibility?

https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 19 August 18 00:37 BST (UK) »
But none of those records you linked to had anything to do with Margaret anyway?

I thought it was fairly obvious when I said I couldn't find them, I meant on the Irish Genealogy site. Where would anyone else look for Irish records? I thought maybe someone would be better at searching their records and have more luck finding her. I do apologise for wasting your time!

As it happens I may have found the record for her birth - 1872 in Tullamore, parents Hugh McGlynn & Anne Mill. Without having the marriage record to check it against though I can't be sure.

Church Registers, online, free!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 19 August 18 00:45 BST (UK) »

The 'scotlandspeople' website has a record (pay to view) for a death registered in St. Andrew (Dundee) district for a Margaret Gounoude who died in 1897 with a reported age of 28, is that a possibility?

https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

I should add that, if her, the record should identify both of her parents (caveat: as reported by the death informant).

Edited to add: There could be a lot riding on that death record, for I can't see a civil registration for the marriage of Andrew and Margaret in 1890.  I say 1890, because I've seen a couple of likely transcriptions of church records for the marriage which indicate that it took place in August 1890, one recorded as Andrew Gunoode and Margaret McGlynn marrying in Clara RC parish Co. Offaly, the other recorded as Andrew Gunoode and Margaret McGlynn marrying in Clara Horsleap RC parish Co. Westmeath (the area concerned is in the vicinity of the county border for Offaly and Westmeath). No other details are recorded, hence the importance of the Scottish death record (unless fresh eyes can find you an 1890 civil marriage record).

Offline youngones82

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 19 August 18 08:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much gaffy!! That is definitely her - it says 'wife of Andrew Gounoude' and the informant is 'Mary Gounoude, sister-in-law, 120 Overgate' (Andrew's younger sister was called Mary and when she married 4 years later her address was Overgate, Dundee).

I swear I had already looked on Scotland's people (as most of the family are in Dundee on the 1901 Census) but was unable to find her. I tried a few spellings of Gonoude and tried 'surname variants' with no luck. This is why fresh eyes were needed. I now know her parents names which will hopefully help me find her birth. I also know the family left Ireland for Dundee a little earlier than I thought.

Regarding the church records, where did you find the transcriptions? Because I have checked on Find My Past with no luck. Also looked on the Irish Genealogy website and haven't found anything. I admit I didn't spend as long looking at the church records because she was born within the time of statutory registration. I thought all birth, marriages and deaths had to be registered in the statutory registers, or am I misunderstanding?

Thanks again for your help!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 19 August 18 08:23 BST (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 19 August 18 09:50 BST (UK) »

... I thought all birth, marriages and deaths had to be registered in the statutory registers, or am I misunderstanding?

No you are correct, but in actuality that simply didn't happen in many instances, I remember reading a piece estimating that up to 15% of Irish BDMs weren't registered in the first couple of decades after 1864, from my own experience I know that registration was far from absolute right through to the early 1900s.