Author Topic: Jenkins  (Read 2351 times)

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
Jenkins
« on: Saturday 18 August 18 15:06 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find details of the life and death of William Jenkins, according to census records he was born about 1846 in Aberystwyth, son of William and Catherine (nee Clements) Jenkins.   He married Ellen Foster 15 Nov 1870 in Aberystwyth and he worked as a carpenter or in associated trades.   She was born 27 Nov 1848 in Liverpool.   They were both alive in 1911 census living at 34 Bridge Street, Aberystwyth.   I am unable to find any burial records in Aberystwyth that fit but Ellen possibly died in West Derby, Liverpool in 1921.   
I would be especially interested to find evidence of his/her death and/or burial.
I have the census details for 1851 through 1911 with the exception of 1860.
Thanks, Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jenkins
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 August 18 15:20 BST (UK) »
Have you seen this entry on  find a grave

William Jenkins
Birth Date:   1846 Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, Wales
Cemetery:   Aberystwyth Cemetery
Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, Wales
Has Bio?:   N
Father:   William Jenkins
Mother:   Catherine Jenkins
Children:   David Thomas Jenkins
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/189313715

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 August 18 15:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you Ladyhawk,
I had seen that entry but I have been unable to find concrete evidence of a date of death or burial from council records at my disposal.    As far as I can see Ellen died in Liverpool but any references to William Jenkins after 1911 are ambiguous or to me non existent.
Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 August 18 15:33 BST (UK) »
I have the census details for 1851 through 1911 with the exception of 1860.

Is this William Jnr.  with his family on 1861 census

RG9; Piece: 4195; Folio: 81; Page: 22
3 Queen Street
William Jenkins     42 Llanbadern Tailor
Catherine Jenkins 46 Middlesex
Edward Jenkins   18 Painter & Plumber
William Jenkins   15 Aberystwith Joiner
David Jenkins   13 Tailor
Thomas Jenkins   11
John Jenkins   8
Elizabeth Jenkins 6

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 August 18 15:50 BST (UK) »
Yes it is, thank you Ladyhawk.   It is interesting to see that Catherine Jenkins (nee Clements) is shown as being born in Middlesex as there was some confusing information as to her place of birth

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 August 18 17:15 BST (UK) »
Do you have a dob for William Jenkins? If so, you could try the 1939 Register.

As for the death of an Ellen Jenkins in 1921 West Derby - I think the only way you can find out if she might be your Ellen would be to obtain the d/c to check address and who the informant was - you can order an online pdf version from GRO cost £6

perhaps looking at Liverpool Electoral Register

There are these entries from Liverpool, England, Electoral Registers, 1832-1970

1920 address 43 Tintern Street
William Summers Jenkins, Ellen Jenkins, James Sarath Jenkins
Ellen & James not at that address in 1925

1920 address 42 Cedardale Road  Fazakely
George Richard Jenkins, Ellen Jenkins - she still at that address 1925

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 18 August 18 19:39 BST (UK) »
If 1921 death in Liverpool is William’s wife I’m wondering if this might be
his death entry 1911 census night 2 April 1911

Jun 1911  Jenkins   William   68   Cardigan   11b   2

Did Ellen go back to Liverpool to be near family members?

Do you know the whereabouts of their dau Maggie after 1911?

Did their son Abraham William Jenkins age 35 green grocer, Romer Road
marry Jessie MacKenzie in 1908 Liverpool?
 father named as William Jenkins, Joiner on m/c

Electoral Register Liverpool
Abraham William & Jessie Jenkins
1920 37 Romer Road
1925 212 Kensington (abode 213 Kensington)
1929-30 212 Kensington (abode 39 Onslow Road Fairfield)

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 19 August 18 11:40 BST (UK) »
With no other firm evidence I assumed Ellen moved back to Liverpool and died West Derby district 1921.   She may well have been living with her widowed sister, Louisa (Martindale) and /or her other sister Eliza (Morris) in West Derby.   Louisa died 1923 in West Derby district.
I have no idea of Maggie's whereabouts after 1911.
Abraham William Jenkins married Jessie MacKenzie in 1908.   Thank you for the residence information.
I have no dob for William Jenkins, only estimates from censuses.   A common name in Aberystwyth, there were 3 registered in 1845, 2 in 1846 and 1 in 1847.
The link with Liverpool was quite strong and coincidentally another son of William and Ellen, David Thomas Jenkins, was posted there in 1917 and lived for 2 years in Blundell sands with his family.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 19 August 18 18:44 BST (UK) »

I have no dob for William Jenkins, only estimates from censuses.   A common name in Aberystwyth, there were 3 registered in 1845, 2 in 1846 and 1 in 1847.

GRO Birth registration
William Jenkins, Sep Qtr 1845, Aberystwyth, vol 27 page 15 - mother's maiden name Clements