Author Topic: Chatterstone?  (Read 1245 times)

Offline regularguy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Chatterstone?
« on: Saturday 18 August 18 15:45 BST (UK) »
I have been looking at my 3 x ggrandfather John Rivett who was the father of Celia Sarah Rivett born in Marylebone, Westminster around 1830. To cut a long story short John states on one of his children's christening records that he was a private in the 2nd Regiment Life Guards and as if to confirm this there is a Chelsea Pensioners record for a John Rivett who served in that regiment from 1789 to 1810. On his discharge papers his place of birth is given as the parish of Chatterstone in or near the town of Beccles, Suffolk.
I know where Beccles is but can find no current nor historical record for a parish called Chatterstone. This leads me to believe he was not sure exactly where he was born unless someone can identify this parish called Chatterstone.

TIA.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Chatterstone?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 August 18 15:50 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat

There is another person (Samuel King) who gives his p.o.b as Chatterston, Halesworth, Suffolk on his attestation record on the National Archives website  :-\
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 August 18 15:51 BST (UK) »
How about considering Chediston ? (allowing for broad accents)

https://www.curiousfox.com/

Places 2 Miles around Chediston Suffolk

Chediston Suffolk
Chediston Green Suffolk
Cookley Suffolk
Halesworth Suffolk
Huntingfield Suffolk
Linstead Parva Suffolk
Spexhall Suffolk
Walpole Suffolk
Wissett Suffolk
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline regularguy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 August 18 16:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks Rosie99  :)

Thats interesting, I wonder if Chatterston(e) was a name used by locals but not actually adopted or used officially?
From his military record (left 1810 having served 21 years and joined at age 23) John would have been born around 1766. I can find two baptism records for Suffolk born John Rivetts, one in Charsfield (1766) and the other in Ufford (1767) which seem to be in the parish of Woodbridge and are about 30 or so miles away from Beccles. I can find nothing for Beccles itself which of course doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Chediston looks like a possibility though. Chatterstone - Chediston, can see (hear) those getting mixed up.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 August 18 16:50 BST (UK) »
I think Chediston was a good suggestion, it could certainly sound like Chatterstone
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 August 18 23:10 BST (UK) »
I think Chediston was a good suggestion, it could certainly sound like Chatterstone

Beccles is very close to the Norfolk border, so the accent is verging on the Norfolk rather than the Suffolk.  Am trying to work out phonetically how it would be spoken and not sure if it would be a long or a short 'a', but certainly the last bit ie 'stone' would have been 'stn' or 'stoon'.

But not being good at vowels in Suffolk, either could well have been pronounced 'Ch-de-stn'!  Make of that what you will!   ;D
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 18 August 18 23:34 BST (UK) »
I can find two baptism records for Suffolk born John Rivetts, one in Charsfield (1766) and the other in Ufford (1767) which seem to be in the parish of Woodbridge

Woodbridge is a market town.
Charsfield is a village with its own parish church dedicated to St Peter.
Ufford is a village with its own parish church dedicated to St Mary, it is a famous church due to its unusual font cover.

SM
Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline regularguy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 19 August 18 16:12 BST (UK) »
I can find two baptism records for Suffolk born John Rivetts, one in Charsfield (1766) and the other in Ufford (1767) which seem to be in the parish of Woodbridge

Woodbridge is a market town.
Charsfield is a village with its own parish church dedicated to St Peter.
Ufford is a village with its own parish church dedicated to St Mary, it is a famous church due to its unusual font cover.

SM

Thanks, I actually plotted them on Google maps just to try and work the geography yesterday. I cannot find any records of John Rivetts born in or around Beccles circa 1766 but I guess if my ancestor is one of the two I found some 30 miles away, working out which one it may be would be the devil's own job unless I can pin one or the other of them to the Suffolk area for later parts of his life.