Author Topic: Tosh family from Dundee and Forfar  (Read 7208 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Tosh family from Dundee and Forfar
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 19 August 18 19:07 BST (UK) »
So there were two more children not on the list above. They may be on the 1851 and/or 1861 censuses.

And Charles was apparently born in Tannadice. Does this agree with the later censuses?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Daleez

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 07 April 19 17:00 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

my name is Dale and I'm from Dundee and currently doing a family tree and i found this page from looking for Ann Tosh who was born in 11/07/1781 Dundee and married Joseph Beat dob 23/03/1777, they were married in 06/04/1799 and they had a family off 10 children -:

Andrew Beat 1799 - 1866 Born Dundee
James Beat 1802 - Dundee
Anne Beat 1805- 1867 Dundee
Peter 1807 - Dundee
Joseph Beat (Bett) 1810 - Dundee
Robert Gibson Beat 1812 - Dundee
Charles Beat (Beatt) 1815 - Dundee
Jean Beat 1818- 1820 Dundee (Buried In Old Mains Cemetery in the middle of Caird Park)
Alexander Burns Beat 1821 - 1821 Dundee ( Buried in the Old Mains Cemetery in the middle of Caird Park)
Sally Beat 1823 - 1894 Dundee ( On the Death Certificate her name has changed to Sarah)

and so was wondering if this Ann Tosh is a relative of the family being spoken about and also if anyone has anymore information about her :D

thanks

look forward to possibly hearing from someone :)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 07 April 19 18:22 BST (UK) »
Sally Beat 1823 - 1894 Dundee ( On the Death Certificate her name has changed to Sarah)
The name Sally is a diminutive of Sarah, so it's not a change, just a variant of the same name. Quite common, actually.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline David0088

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 12 January 20 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Given Ann Tosh date of birth she could be the sister of my 5th great grandfather John Tosh (1795-1857). He was born in Kirremuir.Parents James Tosh and Margaret Rodger.

Offline toshfamilytree

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 17:17 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Given Ann Tosh date of birth she could be the sister of my 5th great grandfather John Tosh (1795-1857). He was born in Kirremuir.Parents James Tosh and Margaret Rodger.

James Tosh and Margaret Rodger are my 5x great grandparents. John Tosh was my 4x great grandfather. My 3x great grandfather was James Scott Tosh born in Arbirlot. Peter Whyte Tosh, born in St. Vigeans, is my 2x great grandfather. And so on.

I know Margaret's parents were George Rodger and Margaret Lowson. But I have not successfully determined who are James Tosh's parents.