Author Topic: Tosh family from Dundee and Forfar  (Read 7169 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Tosh family from Dundee and Forfar
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 19 August 18 13:22 BST (UK) »
I wondered if that was who he was.

In the 1841 census (transcription at https://www.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl) there is a whole string of people in Little Causeway, Forfar
Jean Don, 45, linen hand loom weaver, born Angus
Felix Russell, 30, glass blower, born at sea
Mary Russell, 25, born England
Thomas Russell, 8 born England
Susana Russell, 5 months, born Scotland but not Angus
John Findlay, 55, linen hand loom weaver, born Angus
Ann Findlay, 43, born Angus
Ann Findlay, 11, born Angus
Cathrine Findlay, 10, born Angus
Emely Aitkenhead, 25 linen hand loom weaver, born Angus
George Tosh, 5 born Angus

I am not convinced that this is all one household, so I would want to look at the original to check whether Emily and George are part of a larger household or a separate one.

I see that Amelia Aitkenhead married Andrew Mason in Forfar in 1845, and that Emily Aitkenhead, other name Mason, died in Forfar in 1867 aged 56. (Amelia and Emily are interchangeable).

I wonder if she was the daughter of Robert Oakenhead and Ann Waker, baptised in Careston in 1812?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline David0088

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 19 August 18 13:29 BST (UK) »
I wondered if that was who he was.

In the 1841 census (transcription at https://www.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl) there is a whole string of people in Little Causeway, Forfar
Jean Don, 45, linen hand loom weaver, born Angus
Felix Russell, 30, glass blower, born at sea
Mary Russell, 25, born England
Thomas Russell, 8 born England
Susana Russell, 5 months, born Scotland but not Angus
John Findlay, 55, linen hand loom weaver, born Angus
Ann Findlay, 43, born Angus
Ann Findlay, 11, born Angus
Cathrine Findlay, 10, born Angus
Emely Aitkenhead, 25 linen hand loom weaver, born Angus
George Tosh, 5 born Angus

I am not convinced that this is all one household, so I would want to look at the original to check whether Emily and George are part of a larger household or a separate one.

I see that Amelia Aitkenhead married Andrew Mason in Forfar in 1845, and that Emily Aitkenhead, other name Mason, died in Forfar in 1867 aged 56. (Amelia and Emily are interchangeable).

I wonder if she was the daughter of Robert Oakenhead and Ann Waker, baptised in Careston in 1812?

were is Charles Tosh

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 19 August 18 14:04 BST (UK) »
Charles was described on George's death certificate as a farm servant.

There are two Charles Toshes described as agricultural labourers in Angus in the 1841 census.

One is listed as aged 25, living at Noranpark, Fearn with John Tosh, 55, Jean Tosh, and what looks like half a dozen younger Toshes, who seem to be the family of John Tosh and Jean Ogg.

The other is listed as 30, and living in Oathlaw with his wife Crawford Cuthbert and children aged 6 and 4.

So the probability is that it's the one in Fearn who was George's father.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 19 August 18 14:26 BST (UK) »
I see that in 1851 there is a household in Forfar consisting of Andrew Mason, 36, hand loom weaver; Emily Mason, 36; George Mason, son, 16; James Mason, son, 8; Mary Mason, daughter, 2; and William Mason, son, 1.

It would not surprise me at all if George is in fact Andrew's stepson, George Tosh.

Offline David0088

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 19 August 18 15:18 BST (UK) »
I see that in 1851 there is a household in Forfar consisting of Andrew Mason, 36, hand loom weaver; Emily Mason, 36; George Mason, son, 16; James Mason, son, 8; Mary Mason, daughter, 2; and William Mason, son, 1.

It would not surprise me at all if George is in fact Andrew's stepson, George Tosh.

That is a great find i will look into it. According to Charles Tosh death his parents were John Tosh and Margaret Wilson i think.

Offline David0088

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 19 August 18 15:21 BST (UK) »
Charles Tosh death 1878

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 19 August 18 15:57 BST (UK) »
That looks promising, but if I were you I would want a little more evidence to be sure that this is indeed your Charles Tosh.

I don't see a marriage but Charles Tosh and Jean/Jane Gowrie had at least five children
James Findlay, baptised 7 March 1847, Kirriemuir
David, born 7 November 1855, Kirriemuir
Alexander, born 28 April 1863, Airlie
Jane, born 3 December 1868, Airlie
Elisabeth, born 28 April 1870, Airlie

I would recommend a look at David's birth certificate, because certificates in 1855 contain a huge amount of information that wasn't recorded in any other year.

There's a Tosh family in Airlie in 1871 consisting of Charles, 52; Jane, 43; Charles, 10; Alexander, 8; Andrew, 5; Jane, 2; Elisabeth, 0. If I were you I'd take a look at the original of that to see where Charles was born.

Jane Tosh or Gowrie died in Alyth in 1904, aged 76.

Offline David0088

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 19 August 18 18:31 BST (UK) »

it seems you are right, death for Emily Mason father was an Aikenhead.

Offline David0088

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 19 August 18 19:01 BST (UK) »
That looks promising, but if I were you I would want a little more evidence to be sure that this is indeed your Charles Tosh.

I don't see a marriage but Charles Tosh and Jean/Jane Gowrie had at least five children
James Findlay, baptised 7 March 1847, Kirriemuir
David, born 7 November 1855, Kirriemuir
Alexander, born 28 April 1863, Airlie
Jane, born 3 December 1868, Airlie
Elisabeth, born 28 April 1870, Airlie

I would recommend a look at David's birth certificate, because certificates in 1855 contain a huge amount of information that wasn't recorded in any other year.

There's a Tosh family in Airlie in 1871 consisting of Charles, 52; Jane, 43; Charles, 10; Alexander, 8; Andrew, 5; Jane, 2; Elisabeth, 0. If I were you I'd take a look at the original of that to see where Charles was born.

Jane Tosh or Gowrie died in Alyth in 1904, aged 76.

David Tosh 1855 birth. Parents Charles Tosh Jean Growie.