Author Topic: John Stewart 1738, Selkirk  (Read 3893 times)

Offline Anydogsbody

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Stewart 1738, Selkirk
« on: Saturday 18 August 18 22:18 BST (UK) »
My 4GGrandfather, John Stewart, was born in Selkirk according to other people's family trees and his father is most commonly given as James.

Can't find a birth record on Scotland's People which corroborates that and the only record I can see for  John Stewart, born in Selkirk, on IGI gives the father's name also as John not James.

Anybody got any suggestions for sources on this or reliable information from their own researches. Any info would be appreciated

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Stewart 1738, Selkirk
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 August 18 11:55 BST (UK) »
On SP.

STUART   JOHN   JAMES STUART/ISOBEL DICKSON   11/08/1738   Selkirk

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Anydogsbody

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 August 18 13:53 BST (UK) »
Well done. I should know by now to search alternative spellings. In later census records the surname is Stewart or even Steward. I should have thought that Stuart might make the connection.

Just need to find out about James, his father, now.

Thanks for the help

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 August 18 14:10 BST (UK) »
After the Jacobite rising of 1745, many Stuarts changed the spelling of the name.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Anydogsbody

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 August 18 18:40 BST (UK) »
That makes sense. The dates of the name change more or less fit with that. I live near Culloden so should be aware of that.

I'm working this line back because some have linked it with a line of Stirling/Perthshire Stuarts which gives a direct line back to Robert the Bruce and others.

I'm always rather circumspect about these things but it's looking like it might just hang together. I'm only a couple of generations away from making the connection with well established lines of descent

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 August 18 18:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks for you reply, if you stumble across my wife's GGGF along the way please let me know.
Daniel Stewart, married Arran as Stuart.He was born 18 May 1802 Irvine, Ayrshire, according to his seaman's records. Like you nothing to substantiate that.

Good luck with your research.

Colin

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 05 September 18 22:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Anydogsbody

John Stewart/Stuart is my ancestor. He moved to Co Durham, England in about 1750-1770. He was married more than once. I descend from his 2nd wife Patience Brown born in 1759 in Bishop Auckland.

Would be nice to find who his first wife was as he had a son James Stewart in 1777 but no mother listed (as was quite common in PR's). However from 1798 to 1813 much more info was collected due to Dade registers and John's son William Stewart was baptised in Bishop Auckland in 1800 "son of John Stewart a native of Selkirk, Scotland and Patience Nee Brown, a native of this parish".

I am not sure when John left Scotland but would love to know. He had a sister Agnes born in 1737, a twin brother James born in 1738 and a sister Mary born in 1740.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Anydogsbody

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 05 September 18 23:22 BST (UK) »
We have a common descent. His first wife was, I believe, Jannet Bell who died in 1785.

Follow this link to ScotlandsPeople and it will tell you his and his twin brother James's parentage. You'll need some page credits with SP to view:

https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/images/OPR778_000_0020_0154Z

If the link doesn't work I can try and copy/paste an image for you. I would love to know in more detail your evidence for the move to England. I made a bit of a guess about his Selkirk origins but would like to consolidate that.

There is a suggestion that this Stewart line links back in to the royal Stewart line and ultimately back to Robert 1st of Scotland, The Bruce himself. The link may be back through the Stewarts of Balqhidder.

It's all a bit tenuous at the moment but within the last day or so I've had some encouraging DNA evidence which supports the idea that I have Robert II, King of Scotland as a common ancestor with someone else. The same would be true of you if you have John in your line of ascent.

Interesting you mentioned William(1800) because I am descended from him.

Offline Anydogsbody

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 06 September 18 09:11 BST (UK) »
Good morning, Coombs

You will probably have seen by now, if you didn't know already, that John & James Stuart were the twin sons of James Stuart and Isobel Dickson( as per the previous link). The marriage in Sept 1737 appears in the IGI here:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/2:1:MSW5-4DF

Others have James (Snr) DOB as 1712 but I can't see a birth record that fits on SP. Again, the only mention I can see is on IGI at:

https://www.familysearch.org/search/tree/results?count=20&query=%2Bgivenname%3AJames~%20%2Bsurname%3AStuart~%20%2Bbirth_place%3ASelkirk~%20%2Bbirth_year%3A1705-1715~%20%2Bspouse_givenname%3AIsobel~%20%2Bspouse_surname%3ADickson~&https://www.familysearch.org/search/family-trees=undefined

I am assuming his place of birth was Selkirk but maybe not. Ultimately I would like to connect him back to Perthshire Stuarts around Pitlochry.

Do you or does anybody else have any insight into James Stuart abt 1712?

PS Do you have a link to the Dade register you quoted from?