Author Topic: Buried in Alexandria.  (Read 5030 times)

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
Re: Buried in Alexandria.
« Reply #9 on: Monday 20 August 18 08:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all this.
I found more that may be him. If it is them he was only about 18 at the time, was he there alone or was Ada with him, did his father go there, he was a draper.  All very interesting !

FO 841 1830-1949 Foreign Office: Consulate, Cairo, Egypt: Court Records

Chas. H Perrott v. John R Hayes Jones .Date:1913 
John Porter Foster v. J R Hayes Jones 1913
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline RONCA42

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 01 October 19 17:37 BST (UK) »
Just found this string last night.  John Jones, born in 1856 in Corwen, was the oldest son of Evan (1825-1908) and Elizabeth (nee Roberts) Jones (1829-1893).  Ada Elizabeth Hayes, born about 1868 in Cheshire, England, the oldest child of John Eli Hayes and Ann Rathbone.  She is believed to have had a younger sister and four younger brothers.  She married John Jones in Wrexham, probably 3d quarter 1894.  John Jones was the 2nd of eight children born to Evan and Elizabeth with my grandfather, Henry, being the youngest.  Only John and my grandfather left Wales, John and family to Egypt soon after 1901 census and my grandfather to the United States in March 1899.
Only one child, son, John Rathbone Hayes-Jones was born to John and Elizabeth, on October 3, 1895. As several posts have noted he was much traveled and several court records exist for him.  He corresponded with my grandparents often as did his father John.  In the late 1950s I collected stamps and my grandparents made sure I got them so received many stamps from Egypt and Morocco.  Wished I had saved the envelopes with return addresses.  I do have photo of the family of 3 and of Rathbone as well as his wife "Rita" - Margaret Mary Power.  I visited her home in Carrick-on-Suir, County Tipperary in 1967 and a few years later she visited my grandparents here in the US.  I also met Rita's mother but do not remember her name - have photo of her though.  My grandparents felt that the family did quite well financially.  The 1901 Wales census lists John as a Draper and lists 4 "Draper Assistants".  Until reading these posts I did not know when or where John or Ada died.  Rathbone died 9 Jan 1960 at the Atkinson Morley Hospital, Wimbledon, Surrey.  His will was probated on 28 June 1960.  Rita returned to Port Said in September 1960, undoubtedly to settle affairs there.  She died in April 2002 near Carrick-on,Suir.  She is buried in St Patrick's Cemetery, Faugheen, County Tipperary.  I do not know where Rathbone is buried.

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 01 October 19 17:47 BST (UK) »
Hi, can you make another 2 posts , I would like to send you a personal message. You have to make 3 before you can use messages.. Just a short word will do,

Offline RONCA42

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 01 October 19 17:51 BST (UK) »
OK will do.  That was a fast response.

Offline RONCA42

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 01 October 19 17:52 BST (UK) »
Here is number 2.

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 01 October 19 17:54 BST (UK) »
That will do, it used to be 3, but seems to have changed. I'll contact you very soon.