Poll

Which site do you find more useful?

Ancestry
Find my past
Other

Author Topic: Which site do you find most helpful?  (Read 1036 times)

Offline jgvdk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Which site do you find most helpful?
« on: Monday 20 August 18 15:05 BST (UK) »
 Hi,
I am thinking of subscribing to one of these sites, and would like to know which you find most helpful.
Many thanks

If you have chosen 'other' please do let me know which site you prefer!

(There should be a poll, i am new to this website so i might not have got the hang of posting a poll yet)

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
Re: Which site do you find most helpful?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 August 18 15:15 BST (UK) »
I voted 'other'. Although my researches were mostly concluded pre internet, my first port of call is Familysearch. Otherwise, Rootschat is best and because my family lived in Forest of Dean in 19th Century, FoD Trust. Rootschat has so many members willing and able to help it must come Tops. If I was starting now I would have to subscribe to Ancestry as well. 
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 August 18 15:20 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat

There are several posts on here asking the same question  :)  It really depends where your research interests are. 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 August 18 15:25 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.

The best thing to is look at the catalogue of every site, they do duplicate some records such as BMDs and census, but they have different Parish Registers and other records. You need to assess which holds the most records that are relevant to your areas of research, only you can really tell which one would suit you best.

Some libraries can provide access to either Findmypast or Ancestry, or even both so you could try them out to see which you prefer.

Then are are always people here willing to help you out.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 August 18 15:48 BST (UK) »
You might find it useful to take a 'trial offer' of the various sites so that you see what is available.....just remember to cancel any card details if they are requested!

Both Ancestry and FindMyPast have 'free access' events occasionally.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Battmanforever

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 August 18 16:08 BST (UK) »
Ancestry was a great decision after I started with Genes Reunited. Got a lot further using Ancestry.

Now finding some great records with familysearch. I'm new to rootschat so I daresay it will become useful in the toolbox.
Battman

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 August 18 16:55 BST (UK) »
"Which site do you find most helpful?"

My first question is, Most helpful for what?

With Ancestry, I find the synchronisation of Family Tree Maker most handy. I can work off line, in the middle of a churchyard, transcribe inscriptions, add photographs and when I get home one button clicked and it is all on Ancestry. Inviting relatives to view the tree online is very easy as well.

Both my parents come from ex-pat families from India (East India Company). Ancestry can certainly quote the reference for B D Ms from India, BUT Find my past has the images!. Ancestry will tell me that John Smith was baptised in such and such a place, but on FindMyPast I can see that his two brothers and three sisters were also baptised on that date.

So it is a question of what you are researching, as to which site will give you the best service.

Regards

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 August 18 18:27 BST (UK) »
I think it also depends on where your research interests are - ie which country or county.

I have voted for Ancestry and 'other'.

I find Ancestry far more user friendly than Find My Past, easier to search.

In addition my ancestors were mainly from West Yorks and Lancashire  - and Ancestry has filmed Data Sets for both these areas. I also have Irish and Scottish lines.

(Find My Past has other English counties which may be more pertinent to your own research -- the old Newspapers on Find My Past are also useful, along with Crime Records - if you had a 'baddie' in your family.)

Both have Irish RC Parish Registers.
Both have a list of all their Datasets -- on Ancestry this is the Card Catalogue -- just insert a key word to see if any particular records are on there.

On Find My Past this is the A-Z of Record Sets --- again just insert a key word, such as a county or subject to see what may be included on the site.

As far as 'others' go -- these are mainly free sites, such as Lancashire On Line Parish Clerks, Lancashire BMD -- certainly Rootschat - (this site is brilliant for getting help from others.) Also Family Search.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 20 August 18 18:41 BST (UK) »
The Genealogist for Tithe maps.
Cowban