Author Topic: Is there a William Baldwin Snr?  (Read 933 times)

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Is there a William Baldwin Snr?
« on: Monday 20 August 18 20:09 BST (UK) »
I have been looking over some twigs on my tree and trying to use Ancestry hints to give a fuller picture.
I was looking at Eliza Cockrill (1821-42) who married a William Baldwin 1812 -73.
He was born at Shimpling.
They married at Pakenham Dec 1840.
She died 2 days after giving birth to their first child, 16 Feb 1842.
They lived at Pepper's Hall in Cockfield, south of Bury St Edmunds. He was a farmer of 267 acres employing 10 men, so they seem to be an affluent family.
On the grave it says 'In Memory of Eliza Wife of William Baldwin Junr'. This suggests that there must have been a William Baldwin Snr. Possibly a father, uncle or grandfather.
Looking at the birth date of Wm. Jnr.  The William I'm searching for must have been born in the latter part of the 1700s. There are some William Baldwins, but I can't make a definite connection and those most closely located geographically are a workhouse inmate and a farm labourer. Any suggestions most welcome.
Burt, Cockrill, Craske, Debenham, Double, Grimwade, Grimwood, Hilder, Mayhew, Ray. All from  West Suffolk around the Bury St. Edmunds area.
Simpson, Pittendreigh, Arthur.   Aberdeenshire

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a William Baldwin Snr?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 August 18 21:01 BST (UK) »
They married at Pakenham Dec 1840.

The marriage certificate would confirm if his father was called William.

Does the farm have a name?  That might help with records if it was in the family.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 August 18 21:41 BST (UK) »
A possible?

William Baldwin,    Widowed
Ann Hilder
Marriage     12 Oct 1803, Cockfield Parish, Ashfield, Suffolk,

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 August 18 22:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks Millipede. The farm was Pepper's Hall, bit I can't find any earlier Baldwins there. Not sure when they arrived there.
Burt, Cockrill, Craske, Debenham, Double, Grimwade, Grimwood, Hilder, Mayhew, Ray. All from  West Suffolk around the Bury St. Edmunds area.

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 August 18 22:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks Mabel. That is very interesting as there are strong links between the Hilders and the Baldwins. My gt Gt grandmother was a Hilder and one of her daughters married a Baldwin too.
The unfortunate thing for me is that I haven't got an Ann Hilder from that time on my tree. Presume she would have been born about 1780ish or even earlier. I have a Susannah 1764, an Elizabeth 1765 then a gap to Richard 1774, my 3x Gt grandfather. I'm wondering if Ann fits in their line??

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 August 18 22:34 BST (UK) »
I have just looked at Ray Long's Cosford Database for Cockfield and it gives Ann's birth as 1752 and death as 1821. That would place her a generation earlier. I only have a Richard Hilder 1742 from round that time at Cockfield. Possibly her brother??