Author Topic: Henry Fouldes/Foulds  (Read 1948 times)

Offline emjayf

• RootsChat Member
  • Photo is 2020 me. Got fed up with my old silly one
    • View Profile
Henry Fouldes/Foulds
« on: Monday 20 August 18 22:35 BST (UK) »
James & Sarah Gibson Fould(e)s - married in 1861 had (as far as I have found so far) five children.

John Gibson Fould(e)s - I can trace on each census from 1871 (Age 9) - 1911 (Age 49)

But the others I have trouble finding census information.

Mary (born in Oxton 1864) I have on the 1871 census (age 7)
George (born in Bramcote) I have on the 1881 census (age 9) & the 1891 census (age 19)
Samuel (born in Bramcote) I have on the 1881 census (age 6) & the 1891 census (age 16)

So I have no idea where they went - but a Mary Fouldes was married in Sheffield in 1886 - it could be her.

So I can't find them after this - but the main puzzle is the last child: Henry (born in Oxton 1867)
He is on the 1871 census as 4 - I can't see him on the 1881 census but a Henry is back in the 1891 census - age 24.  The age and name fits.... but he is listed as their NEPHEW!

Now they did have a nephew (about the same age) son of John Foulds (James' brother) and Ann Jacklin) so that could be him (and the Free BMD tells me a Henry Foulds died in Southwell June 1918 age 51 which would fit). But where did James and Sarah's Henry go?  Could they have lied in the first census - pretending he was their son?  Or perhaps THEIR Henry died after the 1871 census.

So I wonder if anyone can spot this other Henry Fould(e)s (or even where Mary is on the census's after 1871 and George and Samuel are after 1891).

Sorry a lot of questions but the Nephew/Son thing puzzles me! :D

Cheers
MJ
Fouldes.<br />Any area where our family are.  My branch started around Derbyshire, Nott's and Yorkshire.  We ended up in South Lincolnshire!  So yay!  Course any area with Fouldes in would help!  See my family tree below for what gaps I have!  Cheers!

Would also like to see any Beaumont's from Sheffield as I have lots of family photos & can't identify them!!

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Fouldes/Foulds
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 August 18 22:39 BST (UK) »
Was Henry’s birth registered? If so you can check his mothers maiden name using GRO online

EDIT

Only one Henry Fouldes birth in Notts March qtr 1867 and GRO shows mmn as Jacklin

Could be 1871 entry is incorrect in showing him as son.  If both brothers had a Henry then the 1871 for John should also have a Henry.  Have you checked?

Re Mary.  Have you checked who spouse was in 1886 then looked for an 1891 entry to see if her details match?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline emjayf

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 August 18 23:03 BST (UK) »
Had a quick look (and registered) and yes it was registered - Gibson was his mother's Maiden name.

Yes I believe (from a family member's research) that John Fouldes and Ann Jacklin also had a son called Henry (born in the same year).  Apparently he was a General Labourer in 1891 and then an inmate in 1911!  Ahh just looking on my Family members's tree and he reckons Henry (the son) was born in Newstead and died in Q3 1879 in Sheffield.  So he would have been 12.

Ahh so if that is true then that explains where he is - I think it was confusing me that Henry (their nephew) moves in with them - I assumed it was a mistake!

But yes, I just looked on Free BMD and the Henry I think I want is listed here:
Deaths Sep 1879 - Foulds    Henry    12    Sheffield    9c   246

~~~~~~~~----

So apologies - I am looking across a few records and loads of family members have the same name!

Thanks again!

MJ
Fouldes.<br />Any area where our family are.  My branch started around Derbyshire, Nott's and Yorkshire.  We ended up in South Lincolnshire!  So yay!  Course any area with Fouldes in would help!  See my family tree below for what gaps I have!  Cheers!

Would also like to see any Beaumont's from Sheffield as I have lots of family photos & can't identify them!!

Offline emjayf

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 13:37 BST (UK) »
Re Mary.  Have you checked who spouse was in 1886 then looked for an 1891 entry to see if her details match?

My deceased and distant relative noted that Mary married a William CORBETT (Q3 1886 in Sheffield).
He also notes she was a servant in 1881 (but not where!) - be great if I could find this record if anyone could direct me?

Many thanks
MJ

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 16:53 BST (UK) »
Very easy to find in 1881.  Correct birthplace and birthyear and she’s in Sheffield
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline emjayf

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 18:01 BST (UK) »
Very easy to find in 1881.  Correct birthplace and birthyear and she’s in Sheffield
Is it easy!? 😂😂😂. I have spent 20 odd minutes looking on that website www.familysearch.org and have not found her at all 😂

I am guessing it is easy unless you are not me! I do tend to make a meal of these things! 😃

MJ

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 19:08 BST (UK) »
Baptism Newstead Abbey Chapel
7 Apr 1867 Henry son of James & Sarah FOULDS abode Newstead father a carpenter.
Bramcote
31 Mar 1872 George son of James & Sarah FOULDS abode Bramcote father a wheelwright
Oxton
24 Mar 1870 Jane dau of James & ANN FOULDS  abode Oxton father a wheelwright

Oxton
24 Mar 1870 Sarah dau of John & Ann FOULDS abode Oxton father a wheelwright
7 Jun 1872 Ann dau  John & Ann FOULDS abode Oxton father a carpenter
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 19:17 BST (UK) »
Burials Oxton
12 Jun 1872 Ann Foulds aged 35
12 Jun 1872 Ann Foulds infant
seems they did not long survive childbirth.
25 Nov 1872 Sarah Foulds aged 3

Marriage Blidworth
27 Jun 1861 James Foulds and Sarah Gibson
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 19:19 BST (UK) »
Cannot understand why you can’t find the 1881 entry.  There are only 2 matches and one is living in Sheffield and the other in Southwell

All you have to do is input Mary Foulds birthplace Nottinghamshire birthyear 1864