Author Topic: Chatton Mill and CHARTER(S) family  (Read 1842 times)

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
Re: Chatton Mill and CHARTER(S) family
« Reply #9 on: Friday 24 August 18 08:37 BST (UK) »
Naming patterns are quite important some times in these old families,
Johns will of 1766 states clearly all of his childrens names
sons James and Thomas and his three daughters,Eleanor,Elizabeth and Margaret
the earlier Charters  wills I found difficult to read
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 24 August 18 08:59 BST (UK) »
as you already know from the will of Thomas,
he had brothers John, Joseph and sister Margaret
there is a will for Andrew Charters that is interesting but I don't think there is a connection,at this point,
James died the year before in 1705 so he is also possibly a sibling of the above

the father of your John is likely to be one of the above as most families named a son after the father
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 24 August 18 09:10 BST (UK) »
Register for Edlingham
Thomas s of John Charter
baptised May 2nd 1666

distance approx 16 miles

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 24 August 18 09:43 BST (UK) »
there are three marriage bond for the name Charters between
1765 and 1775
Hannah
Mary
Rob
Tho

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 24 August 18 09:47 BST (UK) »
Robert was married Eardon,1770
Thomas is mentioned but not in what context

Offline tullox

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 25 August 18 09:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for all the information. Now it's time for me to try and assemble the various pieces of information you have sent me. It's so good of you to have gone to all this trouble. The wills do help one solve some things but often throw up other puzzles.
Sue

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 27 August 18 16:46 BST (UK) »
Land records,tax returns,that sort of thing may be helpful here,as you have no firm clues as to who their parents were x

Offline tullox

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 28 August 18 08:11 BST (UK) »
Hi
A good point about land records and taxes . Do you have any idea if these are available on-line? As I live in Australia there's no chance of visiting the local archives!!
I also wonder if there's anyone specifically interested in the old Corn Mills. I have a direct ancestor in Suffolk who was a miller and had a number of windmills. Someone pointed me to a man who had much information about windmills in Suffolk and was able to give me lots of information about the mills my ancestor owned.

Thanks for your help
Sue

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 28 August 18 20:31 BST (UK) »
There are lots of photo's of it if you google and yes there is a Mill site for Northumberland

Northumberland Watermills/North East Mills